JL
Posted By
James_L_Slater
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I try to crop to an ellipse ( or other ) shape and the entire ellipse simply turns to a solid color instead of the ellipse being the remaining picture with a color border. How can I crop to an ellipse and have the picture remain in the ellipse shape? Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Mar 6, 2004
James,

You’re not accidentally using the ellipse SHAPE tool, instead of the elliptical marquee tool, are you?

Just ruling out the easy answer, first…

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 6, 2004
James, put image above the ‘shape’ and click ‘ group with previous’ ( ctrl + G ).
T
tekspin
Mar 7, 2004
Here is my favorite approach: Use the elipse to define the area you want. then use the "copy" from edit menu, then "new" from the file menu. pick the background color or pattern of the new pic, then paste the image into the new pic and name as you wish. The new pic will automatically be sized to match the oval that has been "copied" off the original, and can then be resized by resizing the canvas after paste.
enjoy

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:27:30 -0800,
wrote:

I try to crop to an ellipse ( or other ) shape and the entire ellipse simply turns to a solid color instead of the ellipse being the remaining picture with a color border. How can I crop to an ellipse and have the picture remain in the ellipse shape? Thanks.
RC
Robert_Camacho
Mar 7, 2004
Hi James
I am not sure if I am follwoing what you are asking but the steps below will do what I think you are asking. I think you would like to a mask with the shape missing. eg. Put a picture in a heart shape. If so, then this will work thought it may have a simpler way to do it.

1-Open new blank pic as transparent
2-Select foreground colour as black and Bucket fill total area 3-Select foreground colour as White
4-Click on Custom Shape Tool and select shape
5-Draw shape (You should have a white shape on a black background) 6-Layer Flatten
7-Open picture you would like to be together with shape
8-Use Rectangular Marquee Tool and select picture area
9-Click on Menu Edit and choose Copy
10-Click on Windows, Image, and Untitled-1 to go back to new pic 11-Click Edit and Paste (You should be seeing only the pic you want included at this point) 12-Click on Layers Palette and double-click on the padlock icon next to Background and choose ok (this should rename background to Layer-0)
13-Grab layer-0 and move above layer-1. (Layer-0 must be active layer for next step)- You should be seeing the black and white shape now
14-Choose the Magic Wand Tool and click on the center of the white shape then click on Edit and Cut – Layer 1 should be showing up thru the cut-out of Layer-0
15-You can go to the Layer Palette, select layer-1 then grab the Move tool to move the layer to view what you want to see thru the Mask you created.
16-Flatten layers when you are satisfied

I hope this was what you were hoping to achieve. If anyone knows of a simpler way please let me know.
Robert
TF
Terri_Foster
Mar 7, 2004
Gee, Robert that’s a lot of steps.

I just use a clipping group. (I always work on a duplicate.):

1. Open image.
2. Draw custom shape with custom shape tool
3. Lower opacity on shape layer so I can see to move shape around to how I want the photo to be clipped. When satisfied on placement raise opacity back to 100% on shape.
4. Restack layers so photo is located directly above shape.
5. Press ctrl G. TA DA. Done.

Terri
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 7, 2004
Even easier…

Make your selection with the marquee ellipse tool. Select Effects >Frames> Vignette, ‘Apply’

Done

Want a different colored background? Select your color and dump it into the border with the paint bucket.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections