Posted By
Michael Consten
Dec 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
i have installed the test-version of elements 3.0. I think its a very nice program but when i start the organizer in the start-menu it will take about 40 seconds before the program will start. Is that normal?? Is there any think i can do to make the start quicklier??

Thanks for help..

Michael Consten

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
Dave
Dec 28, 2004
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:07:30 +0100, "Michael Consten" wrote:

Hello,
i have installed the test-version of elements 3.0. I think its a very nice program but when i start the organizer in the start-menu it will take about 40 seconds before the program will start. Is that normal?? Is there any think i can do to make the start quicklier??

Thanks for help..

Michael Consten

Depending on your computer it’s probably normal. It loads a ton of plug-ins and scripts when it starts up. On my 2.53GHz, 512MB computer it takes a good 15 secs to load. Compare that to the hardware on your computer.

You can try defragging your HD, for maybe a little help. Adding more memory will also help if you have less than 512MB. A faster HD would also help. As would a newer computer.
Dave
MC
Michael Consten
Dec 28, 2004
Hi,

thanks Dave for your answer,

Depending on your computer it’s probably normal. It loads a ton of plug-ins and scripts when it starts up. On my 2.53GHz, 512MB computer it takes a good 15 secs to load. Compare that to the hardware on your computer.

i have an Athlon XP 2200 with 512 MB, so i think its nearly the same. Maybe my Harddisk is not so fast.

You can try defragging your HD, for maybe a little help. Adding more memory will also help if you have less than 512MB. A faster HD would also help. As would a newer computer.

I will try to defrag the HD, but i wonder if it will change a lot. The memory should be fine, the HD is an 190GB Maxtor, i think a new one is not really an option.

I can’t understand why it takes so long to start. Can anybody else tell us how long it takes by him to start..???

Thanks

Michael Consten
B
Bob
Dec 29, 2004
I have an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig of ram and it loads in about 14 seconds. I have an 80gig WD hard drive with 8meg buffer.

Bob

"Michael Consten" wrote in message
Hi,

i have an Athlon XP 2200 with 512 MB, so i think its nearly the same. Maybe my Harddisk is not so fast.

I will try to defrag the HD, but i wonder if it will change a lot. The memory should be fine, the HD is an 190GB Maxtor, i think a new one is not really an option.

I can’t understand why it takes so long to start. Can anybody else tell us how long it takes by him to start..???

Thanks

Michael Consten

D
Dave
Dec 30, 2004
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:05:36 +0100, "Michael Consten" wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Michael Consten

I found this in a review of Elements 3.0:
——————————
Startup Speeds
I ran a test on a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 machine, with 756MB RAM, with Windows XP SP2 and no other applications running. Test results with other hardware configurations will of course be different.

Application After reboot Subsequent Times
Startup Photoshop Elements Editor 24 sec 7 sec
Switch to Photoshop Elements Organizer 15 sec 5 sec
Startup Photoshop Elements Organizer 20 sec 4 sec
Switch to Photoshop Elements Editor 20 sec 7 sec
Switch between already open Elements 3 Editor and Organizer 1 sec 1 sec
Elements 2 15 sec 4 sec
Photoshop CS 20 sec 7 sec
ACDSee 7 12 sec 1 sec

Firing up both the Organizer and Editor for the first time after a reboot took about 40 seconds. Subsequently, it took about 12 seconds. Once both applications are open, the switch between both applications is almost instantaneous. However, when Photoshop Elements 3 is closed and you want to quickly view an image on your hard disk, ACDSee 7 will give the fastest startup time. Just like Photoshop Elements 3 outperforms ACDSee 7 in terms of editing, ACDSee 7 outperforms Elements 3 in terms of browsing speed. It is clear that the above mentioned convergence is not yet complete.
—————————

It sounds like you’re a little slow, although not abnormal.
MC
Michael Consten
Dec 30, 2004
Hi,
i seems that the long time to startup is "normal". Thats a shame, i like the Software but i don’t like to wait so long. I think i will look fo another application. Thanks for your help.

Michael

"Dave" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:05:36 +0100, "Michael Consten" wrote:

Hi,

i have an Athlon XP 2200 with 512 MB, so i think its nearly the same. Maybe
my Harddisk is not so fast.

Thanks

Michael Consten

I found this in a review of Elements 3.0:
——————————
Startup Speeds
I ran a test on a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 machine, with 756MB RAM, with Windows XP SP2 and no other applications running. Test results with other hardware configurations will of course be different.
Application After reboot Subsequent Times
Startup Photoshop Elements Editor 24 sec 7 sec
Switch to Photoshop Elements Organizer 15 sec 5 sec
Startup Photoshop Elements Organizer 20 sec 4 sec
Switch to Photoshop Elements Editor 20 sec 7 sec
Switch between already open Elements 3 Editor and Organizer 1 sec 1 sec
Elements 2 15 sec 4 sec
Photoshop CS 20 sec 7 sec
ACDSee 7 12 sec 1 sec

Firing up both the Organizer and Editor for the first time after a reboot took about 40 seconds. Subsequently, it took about 12 seconds. Once both applications are open, the switch between both applications is almost instantaneous. However, when Photoshop Elements 3 is closed and you want to quickly view an image on your hard disk, ACDSee 7 will give the fastest startup time. Just like Photoshop Elements 3 outperforms ACDSee 7 in terms of editing, ACDSee 7 outperforms Elements 3 in terms of browsing speed. It is clear that the above mentioned convergence is not yet complete.
—————————

It sounds like you’re a little slow, although not abnormal.
W
Will
Jan 12, 2005
I have read somehere online that you can tell PS (and Reader) not to load all of the plugins, etc. Do a Google and you should find it.

Will

"The members of the Golden Brigade Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association all served with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. They were victorious in their every battle and wish to honor the 223 fellow troopers that will remain "Forever Young". Please visit their official website at www.goldenbrigade.org to learn more of their history".

Please use this signature in your emails, too.

"Bob" wrote in message
I have an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig of ram and it loads in about 14 seconds. I have an 80gig WD hard drive with 8meg buffer.
Bob

"Michael Consten" wrote in message
Hi,

I will try to defrag the HD, but i wonder if it will change a lot. The memory should be fine, the HD is an 190GB Maxtor, i think a new one is
not
really an option.

I can’t understand why it takes so long to start. Can anybody else tell
us
how long it takes by him to start..???

Thanks

Michael Consten

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections