Posted By
Curvemeister
Sep 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
mfc71.dll is normally located in C:\WINDOWS\system32

You may have removed a program that also used mfc71.dll, and the uninstaller mistakenly removed it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M
McGrandpa
Sep 10, 2008
CS3 seems to start normally, and suddenly get this error:

Adobe Photoshop CS3: Photoshop.exe – Unable To Locate Component (title bar of error dialog)

This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK

I click on OK and CS3 finishes loading, but with differences. Seems some of the
palettes on the right are missing now. Bridge still runs fine, I can edit RAW files from Bridge to ACR4.5, then open from that into Photoshop, then convert and save the files. I don’t seem to have a Layers palette now or a Tool Options palette.

I had just gone through and uninstalled a number of old applications. None were Adobe programs though. Immediately after doing that, this error started.

I found MFC71.DLL, but putting it in the Photoshop installation folder didn’t help. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Hopefully without re-installing CS3. I have also just discovered that my DVD rewriter will not recognize the CS3 DVD, so doing a reinstall from the disk will require a new DVD drive first.
The Adobe updater works and I updated PS to 10.01, and still get that startup error and have missing palettes.

Thanks!

Michael
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 11, 2008
McGrandpa,

Please turn off the autoquote in your newsreader. The majority of users access these forums through the web and the autoquotes are not only unnecessary but tend to waste screen real estate.

Thanks,

Bob
M
McGrandpa
Sep 11, 2008
wrote in message
If mfc71.dll was already in your system32 folder, perhaps that copy of the DLL is damaged.

Go to www.microsoft.com and search for keywords download MFC71.DLL. Or re-install .NET 2003 and get a fresh copy that way.

Looks like the .NET 2003 SP1 MFC71.DLL Security Update might fix it. Just 60 megs. 🙂 Thanks and I’m dl’ing it now from MS.
McG.
M
McGrandpa
Sep 11, 2008
Ok Bob, thanks.
McG.
C
Curvemeister
Sep 11, 2008
If mfc71.dll was already in your system32 folder, perhaps that copy of the DLL is damaged.

Go to www.microsoft.com and search for keywords download MFC71.DLL. Or re-install .NET 2003 and get a fresh copy that way.
M
McGrandpa
Sep 11, 2008

[newsreader autoquote deleted by forum host]

There appear to be more than one location for mfc71.dll then. There is one in my system32 folder.

Thanks!
McG.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections