Posted By
Ian_Edwards
Jul 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I’ve selected an area and using ctrl J promoted it to a new layer.

I now want to change the colour on the first layer without altering the second. When I use the colour change tool it colours both layers. How do I turn off one layer?

thanks

Ian

http://www.edwards-micros.co.uk

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
deebs
Jul 26, 2007
I’d change "We look forward to hearing of your problems … "

to something like

"we look forward to working with you to deliver your commercial solutions"

There are a few ways to change the source layer colour. Some are destructive (Image > Adjust) others are non-destructive (use a layer adjustment). The best place to start is by selecting the source layer after CTRL+J.
KP
Ken_Pratt
Jul 27, 2007
You can add an hue and saturation adjustment layer on top of your new layer. Adjust to make the image on the new layer the colour you require ignoring the fact that the whole image will change colour. Click OK and then click the line in-between the new layer and the hue and saturation layer with the alt key pressed. This will clip the layers and the changed colour will only apply to the new layer.

There are many ways to do things in Adobe Photoshop but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ken

ps Deebs – Was your response meant to answer the question asked? Not sure the advise on the web site was asked for.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 27, 2007
deebs is deebs
D
deebs
Jul 27, 2007
🙂 @ JJ

The OP has links to a website and it was a knee-jerk reaction on my part to some phrasing I hope the OP will recognise. (I knew far more skilled and experienced individuals such as yourselves would be able to advise accordingly about selecting the required layer before making amendments and that such amendments cascade down the layer stack affecting all objects (that is including but not purely limited to layer, text, layer adjustments, masks, filters, plug-ins, 3rd party plug-ins, …) or such below the proposed adjustment and that objects (similar to aforementioned) above the new adjustment will not be affected unless, of course, the adjustment is primarily a localised (either destructive or n0n-destructive) adjustment in which case the adjustments will not cascade down the layers and so fort [I give up now 🙂 ]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections