RB
Posted By
Richard_Burrows
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop Elements 2. I am trying to crop a copy of a picture that I got from my hard drive and previously from my digital camera. When I try to crop the picture I get the message, "Could not complete your request because the layer is locked."

I have tried, "Help," and looked in my Photoshop Elements 2 manuals and find information about locking layer, but nothing on unlocking layers. I want to crop the image and would appreciate any help.
Richard

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
Strange. I can crop a locked layer, either locked transparent or locked all.
Can also crop a file set to read only, just can’t resave it. Anyone?

Mac
R
RobertHJones
Mar 5, 2004
That is odd. You should be able to crop locked layers.

When you look at the layer palette, how many layers do you see and which ones have the lock symbol?

Initially, when you first open a photo in Elements that came from your camera and which hasn’t been edited by any program, you’ll see a single layer called Background and it’s permanently locked for transparency. (see the open lock symbol on the layer?)

The background layer behaves differently from all other layers and you can’t unlock it. You can convert it to a regular layer and that will remove the lock.

For regular layers, you can add and remove the lock at will by selecting the desired layer as the current layer and then clicking on the lock icons at the top of the layer palette. If the layer is unlocked, the click will lock it. If the layer is locked, the click will unlock it.

The checkerboard icon is for locking transparency. That is, transparent pixels will not be altered by your editing on that layer. The layer will have a hollow lock symbol on it when the lock is active.

The solid lock icon is for locking all the pixels and properties in the layer. Once fully locked, you can’t delete or alter the pixels move the layer, change blending modes, opacity, etc. The layer will have a solid lock symbol when this lock is active.

Besides the lock symbol on the layer, when that layer is active, the appropriate lock symbol at the top of the palette will be surrounded by a highlight box to visually point out which lock you have active.

Text and shape layers are permanently locked for transparency.

You can’t delete a locked layer but that shouldn’t stop you from making a crop.

It doesn’t make sense that you can’t crop. Are you using the crop tool or making a selection and using the crop command under "image"?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections