WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just started to generate Vue 5 Infinite Multi-Pass PSD files as I finally have a computer fast enough to make it worthwhile. In the resulting file, two layers (Color and Z Depth) have a Lock icon on them but they aren’t responsive to any of the normal Photoshop Lock icons available in the Layers palette. Hovering a mouse over them throws up a tool tip, which says "Indicates the layer is partially locked." I’ve never heard of this and wonder if anyone can provide some information on just what a partially locked layer is? The simple workaround is to duplicate the layers and the copies aren’t locked. I’m just curious. Here’s a shot of the layers palette.

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/PartiallyLocked.jpg>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Nov 27, 2006
You can lock the transparency of a layer, lock painting tools out of the layer or lock its movements.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=17VO2QAkAofwAbcHOt FAVzBWfeDX1L>

A layer with only one or two of these locks turned on is paritally locked
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for the thought, CN, but as I said in my original post, "they aren’t responsive to any of the normal Photoshop Lock icons available in the Layers palette." That’s the source of my confusion.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 27, 2006
That sounds like they wrote the PSD files incorrectly, and the PSD read code in Photoshop didn’t pick up on the problem until it got to the layers palette.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks, Chris. I think I’ll post this over on the E-on tech support forum and see if it is a known issue.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 6, 2006
I finally received a reply from John Canver of E-on tech support.

"Indeed, recent versions of photoshop lock the bottom layers, for some reason. We’ll look into this. In the mean time, duplicating the layers, as you mentioned, is a good workaround. Thank you very much for your report."

So it turns out to be a buglet in Vue after all.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections