Posted By
William_Fabianic
Jun 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop Elements 3.0
I am importing a number of scanned 35mm slide images. All of a sudden all of my new and old images appear as locked background layers that cannot be worked with. What causes this problem and how can I fix it. I don’t want layers at this point. All of the options in the Layer Menu are greyed out.
Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 6, 2005
The normal behaviour for PSE is:
Background layer is locked [and can be unlocked by double-clicking on its name in the Layers palette].
The Layers menu has 4 active entries: 3 "New" commands and Duplicate.

Are you seeing something different from this?
WF
William_Fabianic
Jun 7, 2005
The newly imported image appears as the background layer in the palette. If I double click on it, I get the message "You cannot convert a 16 bit background into a new layer."
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 7, 2005
If you scan at 16 bit resolution, this is the way it is. You cannot have multiple layers. You’ll need to convert to 8 bit [or do your scanning that way].

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections