IT
Posted By
Ian_Trott
Jul 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In PS CS2, to achieve a soft vignette effect (wedding pictures) I create a rectangular (or square) selection within my image, invert the selection, then apply a feather – usually between 100-200 pixels (depending on the image and desired results.) I then use levels or curves to darken this selection which results in a gradual vignetting around my image, rather than an abrupt one if too little feathering is applied. Pretty simple, pretty straight forward, relatively easy on my workflow.

However, in PS CS3, when attempting this same procedure, the feathering doesn’t work. Well, it doesn’t work the same simple way.

I create my selection, invert, select-modify-feather … NOW comes the problem.

Let’s say I feather my inverted selection 150 pixels. Result … I should now have a selection that outlines the exact (outermost) border of my image, with the inner edge of this selection area feathered 150 pixels.

What I end up with after applying a feather are these weird curved selections elsewhere in the image that don’t remotely resemble what my intended selection area was.

If I significantly reduce the feathering, let’s say to 50 pixels (which defeats the whole purpose of what I’m trying to achieve) I can retain the area of my intended selection, but now the part of the selection that encompasses the exact outer border of my image is curved in at the corners – i.e. the corners aren’t selected now because the outermost edge is rounded at the corners. (Another thread eludes to this rounding.)

Is this a bug, or did Adobe (in their great wisdom) tamper with the simple task of feathering a selection, thus rendering it no longer a simple task?

This is a REAL pain because I’m often performing this task on dozens (if not hundreds) of images, one at a time. In PS CS2 it’s a very simple, reasonably quick task. In PS CS3, the task is now complicated, which greatly hinders my workflow.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 16, 2007
Welcome to another "new" feature of CS3.

I complained of this in a post here a few weeks back.
It was indicated that this is apparently a "user request" change.

I still haven’t heard from anyone who either asked for it or finds it anything other than a pain. Just like CS3 printing.

I do all my feathered selections in CS2 as a result, save them, then reopen in CS3. Just another stupid, stupid anti-workflow change in PITA Ps10.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 17, 2007
I too use this method of creating a vignette and whilst I read a similar post about this a few weeks ago, I couldn’t see what all the fass was about as I couldn’t actually see the problem.

It’s all down to the order in which you carry out the various steps. In my case:

1: Draw the selection

2: Feather

3: Invert

4: Create a Hue/Sat adjustment layer

In this order, the layer mask is feathered correctly. However, if you reverse steps 2 and 3, the feathering takes place around the edges of the image too.

So just a slight change to the methodology and you can carry on as before.

Hope this helps.

Chris
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 17, 2007
Chris, maybe not so much in this case, but do a freehand selection in an image up to and outside the edge of the image on two sides and including one corner, then feather 250px. CS3 will feather the edges and round off the corner as well as the internal selection, CS2 won’t feather the edges or corner while feathering the internal selection.

It’s a fundamental and yet to be explained change in the way selection/feathering is handled. For broad area selected contrast and density control on my large colour images it is a real PITA. Sure it can be overcome with extra steps, but why?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 17, 2007
Fred I absolutely agree. I’m right with you on the "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it". I was just pointing out an easy workaround for Ian’s dilema.
IT
Ian_Trott
Jul 19, 2007
Thank you Chris and Fred for the input and suggestion. I have put Chris’s sequence of steps into play and must commit that to memory. Not always an easy task at 55 years of age.
I now indicate in the options bar for the selection tool how much feathering to apply – before actually making the selection … no biggie just a change in sequence as Chris points out.
However, there’s also another BIGGER PITA change with selection feathering. I typically work with an image at 50% zoom on a 19 inch monitor with default CS3 palettes showing. With my selections now feathered b4 I inverse, when you click on transform selection, the bounding box with handles no longer conforms to the marching ants selection, but rather is outside the image area. WAY outside.
Now I have to reduce the zoom amount one step down to 33% or move/close palettes, otherwise the handles are hidden behind various palettes, under the header bars, and under the bottom of the screen area. You can’t grab the handles on many images now to alter your selection when at 50% or larger zoom. One easy step with PS CS2.
I can’t for a moment believe people actually asked for this. I think Adobe fumbled the ball miserably on this selection/feathering issue, because these changes just don’t make any sense at all as Fred has pointed out.
I hope Adobe is paying attention.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 19, 2007
the bounding box with handles no longer conforms to the marching ants selection, but rather is outside the image area. WAY outside.

Hi Ian.

This is because you are transforming a feathered selection. Let me clarify the steps outlined in post #2:

1: Leave the Options bar "Feather" option set at zero.

2: Draw the oval (or rectangular) selection.

3: Transform the selection (Alt+S then T) as required.

4: Feather the selection (Crtl+Alt+D)

5: Invert the selection (Ctrl+Shift+I)

6: Add a Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer. My shortcut for this set to Ctrl+U (instead of the default Hue/Sat dialogue)

7: Adjust the lightness slider for a light or dark vignette as appropriate.

Applying the feather by this method means you have the normal bounding box in stage 3.

Fine tuning of the vignette can also be carried out after stage 7 by using a very soft brush on the Hue/Sat layer mask.

Steps 3 to 6 could be recorded in an action, although using the sequence of keyboard shortcuts, it becomes intuitive when you use the technique a lot. I’ve got another five years on you and I can remember it 😉

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections