Posted By
lauravanhoff
Mar 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I’ve got a client who is asking for something I can’t figure out how to do. She wants me to create lettering for her logo where the lettering is made of stripes. Not like masking, but imagine that toothpaste aquafresh where you squeeze it out and it’s striped. So for example, we need to do an S in a circle and she wants the S to look like it’s made of stripes, as if you squeezed toothpaste out of a toothpaste tube which was striped in the shape of a letter S.

Any ideas? 🙂

Thanks so much in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 7, 2009
laura,

Any ideas?

Buy a tube of Stripe toothpaste and squeeze it out into letters.

We’re sometimes so computer-only oriented that we forget that a good solution may lie beyond the mouse and monitor.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
One way might be by using a striped pattern-brush to follow a path in Illustrator.

The Illustrator Forum might be able to help.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 7, 2009
Ann,

That’s a good way to handle it as well, particularly if Laura wants it to look illustrative rather than photographic.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
This is crude because I am no artist, but was done using one of the standard striped Illustrator brushes along a path that was drawn above and to fit an S (Myriad).

A duplicate of the S was turned to Outlines and used to make a Clipping Mask for the Patterned-Brushed path.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=14GNVubHcEPW2aENUr IV7XVLoI9>
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 7, 2009
….and you said you couldn’t draw…!

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
I can’t!

🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 7, 2009
(Didn’t need to convert that duplicate to outlines, Ann. Live text can act as a mask in Illustrator. Isn’t that cool?)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
Now we get to see what the REAL artists can do!

And neither did I know that live text could act as a Mask in Illustrator!

🙂
L
lauravanhoff
Mar 7, 2009
Hey that is really neat…I hardly ever use Illustrator…I’ll poke around and try to do what you did.

I also thought there might be a similar kind of trick in Canvas…but I don’t know it well enough to know for sure.

Thanks, Ann and Neil. And Neil…I love your idea of using the actual toothpaste. It’s for a spa product label and she wants it really crisp and clean so I think it won’t work for this project, but what a fun idea!

Thanks to both of you…any other ideas anyone, please do post! Thanks
Laura
L
lauravanhoff
Mar 7, 2009
Duh…I didn’t mean Canvas I meant Corel Painter.

Thanks…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections