How to create transparent images (photos)?

RN
Posted By
Randall_Nufer
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 5.0. I have noticed many websites using transparent photos as part of their design on their pages with coloring or another photo or graphic in the background. Does anyone know how to achieve this? Do I need a specific Photoshop plug-in?

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 26, 2004
Use layers to compose your images, and change the transparency of the topmost layer to see through it.
RN
Randall_Nufer
Apr 26, 2004
Thank you. I guess I didn’t make myself clear enough. It’s not the layer I wish to make transparent. It’s the object (photo) within the layer that I wish to make transparent. In otherwords, if someone were to look at the photo, they could see through to the next layer. In any event, I did look through the menu features and I did not see any options for "Transparency" Please keep in mind I have Photoshop 5.0. Any ideas??
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 26, 2004
I’ve never used 5.0 so I don’t know is this is relevant, but is there an option on the layer pallete for "opacity"? Opacity is basically the opposite of transparency. If you reduce opacity, you should start to see through to lower layers.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 26, 2004
Yes, Opacity is the feature you want to experiment with. Move the slider at the top of the Layers palette to the left to increase transparency/decrease opacity. If you want only part of a layer to be transparent, you’ll have to play with masks or use multiple linked layers (make selection then right-click and choose "Cut to new Layer").
RN
Randall_Nufer
Apr 26, 2004
Thank you. I just experimented with it. That may just do the trick!
RN
Randall_Nufer
Apr 26, 2004
And thank you Scott. Yes, with Photo 5, you have to type in the % rather than move a slider. As far as multiple layers are concerned, I didn’t get the "cut to new layer" with my version, but I might be able to paste multiple objects on multiple layers and simulate that effect with each layer at a different setting. I also see from surfing around, that there is a program called L View Pro which focuses on producing transparent images.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections