MF
Posted By
Many Feathers
Aug 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I am trying to "save as" with a TIFF file in PS7.0.1, it was sporadically shutting down PS. Now this is happening all the time…I can’t seem to Save As. I am running on Windows XP Professional.

Any ideas?

MF

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2003
See this faq topic:
Mathias Vejerslev "Computer locks up, shuts down, or reboots while running Photoshop" 6/5/03 4:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/1>
MF
Many Feathers
Aug 30, 2003
Thanks for your fast reply.

Just to clarify, the computer does not lock up, shut down or reboot. It is Photoshop that shuts down…. Sounds to me like a different problem then in the above mentioned link. What do you think?

Thanks again,

MF
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2003
First try to reset your preferences per the procedure in the FAQ.
C
CindySingleton
Aug 31, 2003
I’m running XP Home and PS7 and this same thing happens to me sometimes. I don’t know if it has ANYThing to do with the system being a fragmented mess, I only remember to do this when I start to have problems, but it seems to help prevent the sudden shut down when trying to save something when it’s all cleaned up. Again, I don’t know if it’s even related. I’ve wondered if the 7.0.1 update would solve it. Need to do that, too.

~Cindy
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 31, 2003
try post #3.
MF
Many Feathers
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for the responses. I will reset preferences (sometimes, when it crashes, PS opens as though preferences were never set and I have to reset them anyway…it’s just that this happens quite often and I’m wondering what makes it happen…perhaps I’ll just have to reset preferences every time I open PS 🙂 and I’ll try a defrag too…

Thanks again,

MF
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
If you have to reset preferences that often, there’s something going on on your machine.

Either something loaded in startup, or other rogue software conflicts, or you have a HD issue.

I’ve been using PS since version 5.5 and have never had to reset my preferences. While many folks here in the forum do have to reset their preferences, there is something going on that is machine specific if it’s recurring.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave milbut
Sep 5, 2003
it’s just that this happens quite often and I’m wondering what makes it happen..

did you load xp over top (as an upgrade) of a system that was previously running win9x or me? xp likes to be installed fresh.
MF
Many Feathers
Sep 6, 2003
Just an update:

I reset preferences. That didn’t help.

I did a scandisk and a defrag. That didn’t help.

I did not do XP as an upgrade and it is even XP pro.

I can "save as" from a NEF file, can’t "save as" from a TIFF file. Go figure.

I’m going to reinstall PS7 and see if that helps. Will let ya know.

Thanks again for all your help…

MF

I will

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections