Posted By
fredrump
Aug 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I know there must be a simple way to get a normal 8×10 picture size from something else but how? Here’s what I have: 300bpi, 1056 w, 1635 h
This was the original size picture which I’ve had restored and colorized. It’s my parent’s wedding picture. If I just print on an 8×10 sheet I get a picture which requires cropping the top or bottom to get the proper width. So how do I crop this thing to the right size for printing?

Any help is much appreciated. I see nothing that guides me in this direction in the manual or the CD/book I have for learning the program. Please be specific if you can help me.

Fred Rump ( )

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 14, 2004
Fred

I assume you know how to use the crop tool.

1.) Select Crop tools
2.) In the crop tool menu type in "10 in" and "8 in" for Width and Height. Be careful to type in "in" or you may end up in px
3.) In the crop tool menu type in "300" for resolution and select
pixels/inch
4.) Now what ever you crop will be restricted to 10 x 8 and a resolution of 300 px/in

Grant
MO
mat_of_the_mint
Aug 14, 2004
1056 x 1635 is just about a 1 to 1.5 ration which is the same as a 35mm image. 8 x 10 is a 1 to 1.25 ratio. To fit 1 to 1.5 on an 8 x 10 it is necessary to print it 10 in. and have wide borders on the narrow part of the picture, or crop the long part of the picture. There is no way, without distortion, to get a 1 to 1.5 ratio picture to fit a full 8 x 10 (1 to 1.25 ratio).
F
fredrump
Aug 14, 2004
Thanks Grant, I will try this right now. It’s that last sentence you mentioned which I didn’t know about. Whatever I crop "will be limited to the measurements entered." IT WORKED!!! Halleluja.

Amazing. Thanks again. You won’t believe how long I struggled with this and it was so simple. Fred

PS to mat of the mint: I knew the ratios were out but I didn’t know how to bring them into proper perspective. Now I’m home free.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections