L
Posted By
Lundberg02
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I guess g did not see my post in one of the enormous threads that go nowhere. OS10.4.11, Preview 4.4.5, Prefs>Color> Automatic, instead of Apple CMM. Any idea what this is, i can find NO info whatsoever on this. It doesn’t seem to do anything different.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 15, 2008
My (admittedly scant) understanding of the Apple Preview application is that if Automatic is selected as the Preferred CMM in Preferences, ColorSync will use the Apple CMM unless a profile contains a specific instruction to use a different CMM. Otherwise Preview will use Apple CMM regardless of what the file says re color engine in those cases where the file contains such information. Don’t ask me why.

I practically never use Preview, so I haven’t given it any further thought.

Where did you get Preview 4.4.5? Is that the Leopard version? I have the latest for 10.4.11 which is 3.0.9 (409).
L
Lundberg02
Dec 15, 2008
No, you’re right it’s 3.0.9. 4.4.5 is something else I was using just before and stuck in my head. That explanation makes sense (if anything does), but where did you find it?
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2008
If memory serves, on an Apple tech note, maybe an Apple Developer note.

I put some of the text above into a Google search and found a related note (though it doesn’t address Preview specifically):

< http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0321245768/ch05lev1sec1?port al=oreilly>

Scroll down to "Configuring Advanced Color Controls". It seems some version of Photoshop had a similar setting. (News to me.)
L
Lundberg02
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks very much. The 4.4.5 I referred to was ColorSync, of course and i am having some sort of issue with it that requires a couple more tests.
I looked up ColorSnyc issues but have not found any greyscale specific problems yet.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 17, 2008
I found this <http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/Color_Mgmt_inTiger.pdf> which may have some indications of ColorSync idiosyncrasies.
I also found a user note which seemed to show that Preview is cantankerous. www.mnot.net/blog/2006/01/08/colour
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
Lundberg02

I don’t see that topic anywhere on that page, Ramon.

Do a page search on Configuring Advanced Color Controls.

Ooops!: Additional content appearing in this section has been removed.
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
some indications of ColorSync idiosyncrasies.

In my experience, ColorSync has been broken for years.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 17, 2008
While I think I agree that your clarification of the Automatic vs Apple CMM setting is most likely correct because it seems reasonable, I wonder how an image can be tagged with a Color Management System? What would it look like or how would it be embedded? Am I naive is even asking this? Surely that would not be RGB,CMYK,GreyScale, Lab?

The problem I think I am having, is that Preview opens a greyscale image with a blue tint in the 3/4 tones (black is black), and Photoshop opens it as grey with no tint. Other greyscales are ok in both.
Get Info says the file is in color space RGB and profile sRGBbunchalettersandmnumbers.
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
Lundberg02,

Β… wonder how an image can be tagged with a Color Management System?

Not the image itself, if I remember correctly; but the embedded profile itself can, at least in theory, have an indication that calls for a given CMM. I most certainly don’t think that any of the commonly used color profiles fall into that category. It would have to be a specialty profile of some kind.

Sorry I can’t help with your issue. If I were you I would not break my head trying to figure out Apple Preview’s color management. :/
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
My speculation is that it’s a ColorSync idiosyncrasy, just based on my inherent mistrust of ColorSync.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
Yes I think so too, but this sort of thing bugs me until I can either fix it or curse it.

The need for Automatic must be so rare that they didn’t feel like explaining it anywhere. I would have asked in the appropriate Apple forum but I never get an answer on any problem i pose there.
People here are more knowlegeable anyway, since they deal with reality and not the developer’s fantasies.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
The need for Automatic must be so rareΒ…

Agreed.
R
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
In 10.5.5 – I open Preview and go to Prefs and there is no tab for Color. Nor Automatic. No setting like this at all. Guess they thought it was so obscure they just quietly dropped it all together.

Hum…
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
Well, they certainly had not dropped it in the last version for Tiger, which is the one I have, Preview 3.0.9.

In the Preview menu > Preferences dialog box, there are four tabs labeled General, Images, PDF, Bookmarks and Color. On the Color tab there’s a pop-up menu labeled Preferred CMM. When you click on the menu selection Apple CMM you see the other choice: Automatic.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zokl4AaKPHOvTjp9S pzVSGOrpCfg>

Tell us what version of Preview comes with Leopard 10.5.6. They may very well have dropped as obscure, arcane an unneeded. πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
Leopard is up to 10.5.6, by the way.
R
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
I have Preview 4.1
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
Well, that settles it then. That choice was indeed totally superfluous. πŸ˜€
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
Verrrrrry interesteeng
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 19, 2008
But you can assign to profile and match to profile in Preview (4.1) in the Tools menu.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
You can do that in 3.0.9 too.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections