TL
Posted By
timothy_leinbaugh
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wish to merge two photos (of the same shot). One has +1 exposure and the other -1. I’m doing this to fix a high contrast photo. It was taken with RAW and i generated the – and + Jpegs with Canon File Viewer. I am new to computers and elements so i need step-by-step instructions on how to merge these photos. I know how to Click on something, but that’s all. The Elements Instructions make no sense to me because it assumes i know terminology and how to do certain functions. (the instructions for Layering for instance, make no sense to me at all)

I have a MAC with OSX

Thanks
Tim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
Tim

I am assuming you have a photograph with something like a bright sky and dark foreground. If they are the same photo your job is a bit easier.

1). Open both images in Elements
2). Select one image
3). Select the move tool (press the letter V for a short cut)
4). Hold down the shift key and drag this image onto the other image. The
will be perfectly aligned.
5). Select the erase tool (press the letter E for a short cut)
6). Now if the image with the burnt out highlights is the one that is
visible just erase the highlights and the correctly exposed under layer will appear.

Grant
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 9, 2004
Timothy,

This link provides for a very elementary description of layers. Using layers is fundamental to the program and is what makes this program so powerful. Take the time to understand layers and how to make accurate selections, your time will not be wasted. You can always ask questions on this forum, lots of knowledgable people ready to help.

<http://tinyurl.com/2z>
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 9, 2004
Unicycling Community, Nancy? 🙂

Patti
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 9, 2004
MS
Mark_Sand
Aug 9, 2004
Grant,
In your step 4 what is gained by holding done the shift while you drag, as opposed to dragging wihtout the shift? I see no difference.

Mark
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 9, 2004
The Shift key ensures the two resulting layers will be exactly aligned. If your eye and your hand are perfect, you can do without it, but it’s a lot quicker and easier to use it.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 9, 2004
Mark,

When you hold Shift as you drop a layer from one image into the other, the dropped layer is centered.

Byron
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 10, 2004
Mark

Sorry I didn’t get back to you but I was away from my computer. Thanks for pinch hitting Stu and Byron, it nice to have so many knowledgeable people step up to the plate and give the correct answer. Take away all that pressure 😉

Grant

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections