K
Posted By
kateri
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP! I have purchaes Elements 2.0 and am a NEWBIE.
1)After hours of going in circles, I got the lassoing of an irregular object to turn off by pressing Ctrl and lifting finger from mouse.
I interprest the resulting blinking lasso as success.

However, I do not know how to use the lassoed object.

2) How do I get it on a new layer? Move it? Put effects in it, etc.?

Unfortunately, going to HINTS and surfing the Internet has not helped me.

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 9, 2004
Copy and paste it.
The paste will happen on top of what you have, in a new layer. With move tool selected, tick "show bounding box" to isolate it when you are on that new layer.

Or if going to another image, copy and paste it into second image.

Mac
K
kateri
Aug 9, 2004
Mac,
Tried to copy/paste the blinking dashed area by going to edit menue and got message: Could not complete the copy command because no pixels are selected.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 9, 2004
Kateri,

That usually means one of two things either:

You are on a section on a layer that is transparent or you have the lasso set to a high feather.

Select the lasso, look up at the top of the screen to where is says feather … does it say zero?

Open the layers palette … does it show more than one layer?

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 9, 2004
Kateri,

After you make a selection, put your curser in the center of the selected area and click your right mouse button. A menu will pop up with things you can do with your selection. Layer Via Copy will copy the selected area onto a separate layer. If on a Mac, post back I’m sure one of the Mac users could post how to bring up context menus since it’s a little different on the Mac.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 9, 2004
Kateri,

In the Tool Box with the lasso showing, click on the tiny black arrow and you will see a choice for Polygonal Lasso. I find it much easier to work with as you don’t need to hold the mouse button down all the time. Just zoom way in on your image, click along the desired outline, move cursor a tiny bit, click again to anchor point of outline. Just move around the edges going click/move. To end the selection, when very near beginning point, double click mouse.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections