AM
Posted By
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Because I didn’t know how to lighten a dark shadow cast by a hat brim, I wrote 27 July. The face of my subject was partially obscured. Wendy, Nancy, Stuart and Mark all hastened to my rescue. The solution proffered by Wendy worked. But as everybody said, there’s always more than one way to approach a problem in Elements II. Then house guests arrived! They’ve now left and I am able to re-devote my attention to the problem. Nancy suggested I create a new blank overlay layer, choose a soft brush with low opacity and dab white paint. "Marching ants" appear on the shadowed area, but when I flatten the image and deselect, I see no difference in the heavy shadow area. Does anybody have the time to tell me what don’t I understand about Nancy’s solution?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 7, 2004
I don’t know how you got "marching ants."

Here’s the method, step-by-step:

1. Start with nothing selected

2. Add a new layer on top of the subject layer (some books recommend filling this with 50% gray, but I’ve seen no difference between doing this and leaving it blank)

3. Set the blending mode to Overlay

4. Choose the brush tool

5. Set opacity very low (like 5%-8%)

6. Make the color white

7. Dab or brush over the shadowed area

8. If this increases saturation too much (makes the face too red or pink), choose the sponge tool and apply it at low opacity directly onto the subject layer (or, better, a copy of the subject layer)

When you subsequently flatten, all should be well.
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 7, 2004
Forgot two things:

Try setting blending mode to Soft Light instead of Overlay to see whether you like it better. I find some images look better with Overlay, some with Soft Light.

If you use the Sponge tool, make sure it is set to desaturate mode (you set this in the task bar at the top, in the Mode gropdown right under the View and Window menus).
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 7, 2004
Alex,

Another way of doing it is:

Make sure your colours are set to the default black & white.

Duplicate the layer (Layer>Duplicate layer) and set the duplicate layer to screen.

Layer>New fill layer>solid colour … set to group with previous layer then click OK. When colour picker comes up just click OK.

Then select the brush tool (a soft brush) and set opacity to 10 or 15 (experiment to see what opacity is best)… paint over the shadow until it lightens enough … If you lighten it too much then switch your colours and use white to darken it. I know that sounds silly but it works 🙂

This also works well on lightening dark coloured glasses … the ones that go dark in sunlight

More complicated than the previous method I gave you but I guess you are now able to take on board a more complex method and this should give you much more control over the effect.

Let me know how you go on.

Wendy
ML
Mark_Levesque
Aug 8, 2004
I’d bet she got "marching ants" because she used the selection brush rather than the regular brush tool.
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 9, 2004
Dear Nancy, Stu, Wendy and Mark

Thanks for your help, suggestions and clear instruction. How encouraging to be able to make it all come together. Hard to believe, but after going through each contribution made, I’m feeling much more confidant I’ll eventually master Elements. Thanks again
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 9, 2004
Alex,

Your attitude of confidence to persevere through the sizable learning curve is a good one, the destination will be worth the journey. When you have questions, just post to this forum…many people here who can help.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 9, 2004
Alex,

Give it a week or two and you will find yourself answering questions for other people 🙂

Wendy
ML
Mark_Levesque
Aug 10, 2004
Alex-

There are very few truly original mistakes left to make with Elements. Almost all of them are retreads at this point, so you only have to know whom to ask. 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections