EA
Posted By
Earl_Alexander
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just wondering if you had decided on a new Digital and if so, which one. I have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from Jodi’s expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will make a decision. I’m sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it’s at the head of the list now. Comments welcome.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Oct 21, 2003
PC Magazine best digital camera :
http://pcmag.pricegrabber.com/home_catpage.php/catzero=76/ut =18c91ff6c31d0130

Just because a camera is on top of the list doesn’t mean it’s the best, but I suppose it helps… 😉

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 21, 2003
in my honest opinion, Kodak is on top when it comes to color. I upgraded to the Fuji because i wanted more than a point and shoot and my older kodak DX3500 didn’t have an optical zoom or any other user settings for that matter. I’m thrilled with the color I get from my Fuji but still amazed at what my Kodak can capture color-wise. They know their stuff.. imo.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 21, 2003
Earl,

I’ll be ordering the Kodak ASAP (meaning when I can scrap together $500). I’m upgrading from my old Kodak DC290 which I’ve been pretty happy with. I agree with Jodi on the color thing. The DC290 has it’s faults, but IMO the color and fidelity of my pictures isn’t one of them. I too was considering the Fuji S5000 but this review < http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review/index. shtml> tipped the scales for me in favor of the Kodak. Steve’s <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html> also gave the Kodak a favorable review (scroll down to the bottom of the page for page 2,3,4 and his conclusion).

I can’t wait! 🙂

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 21, 2003
Earl, i just went and took a look at the new Kodak you spoke of. Looks like a mighty fine piece of equipment for the price. Now I want that one too 😉
TR
Thomas_Rooney
Oct 21, 2003
Hi Earl,

I haven’t made any definate decisions yet. I am still trying to do a lot of research, but I am leaning toward a canon. My other delema is if I should stay with the point and shoot, or take it to the next level with an SLR. For point and shoot I would probably get the S400 from canon, for SLR I have been looking at the new digital rebel. Sorry I can’t be more of a help.

Tom Rooney
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 21, 2003
Just only my opinion, for what it is worth.

My choice would be:

-the Minolta Dimage A, because of its image stabilizing function and excellent optics, -the Fuji 7000 or 5000 because of its extended exposure latitude, or -the Canon G5, just because its traditional looks appeal to me and it has a great lens too-and it’s smaller than the others.

So, best advice probably, buy them all. 😉

Leen
EA
Earl_Alexander
Oct 21, 2003
Thanks to everyone with all the good advise. I can see, it’s not going to be an easy and quick decision.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Oct 21, 2003
How does the canon 300 D (rebel) fit in all this?
I understood it supposed to be the hottest thing under the sunand for under $1000, but none of you mention it.

Robert
J
jhjl1
Oct 21, 2003
I did a lot of research and ended up buying the Canon 300D. I am extremely happy with it and I don’t think you would be
disappointed. All of the pictures in the galleries linked below are from the 300D. My second choice would have been the Canon G3 over the newer G5. The reviews I read said it had a better picture even though or perhaps because it has 1 less megapixel. There seems to be a point of the CCD size becoming to small for the larger number of pixels which leads to more noise.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview

wrote in message
How does the canon 300 D (rebel) fit in all this?
I understood it supposed to be the hottest thing under the
sunand for under $1000, but none of you mention it.
Robert
MM
Michael Moody
Oct 21, 2003
I’ve concluded it’s much easier to pick a perfect wife than a perfect camera, but it’s much less expensive to change cameras.

For what it’s worth, after reading dozens of reviews and shopping for two days, and bought a Kodak 4330. About two weeks later, it stopped working. After waiting nine weeks for the shop to repair it, I decided to give it to my grand daughter.

Then I selected a Kodak DX 6340 and waited weeks for it to come out. I was thrilled – simple, powerful and easy to use. My first batch of "never-to-be-available-again" pics of the big (sail) boat races in San Francisco Bay came out badly blurred. Kodak was very prompt and generous in OK’ing a replacement at Best Buy.

I reluctantly decided Kodak may have QC problems and decided on either a Canon or an Olympus Stylus. The Canon was too small for my fingers to easily use all the buttons, so I settled on the Stylus 300 (3mpx), no, wait – the 400 (4 mpx) for only $50.00 more. So far, the Stylus pics seem to be excellent and it’s easy to use.

Morals:
-There are no perfect cameras, but $400 – $500 will get you close. -Small is not necessarily good.
-Buy with a full replacement guarantee and shoot lots of pics as soon as possible.
– If you have a good wife, keep her.

wrote in message
Just wondering if you had decided on a new Digital and if so, which one. I
have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from Jodi’s expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will make a decision. I’m sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it’s at the head of the list now. Comments welcome.
SS
Susan_S.
Oct 22, 2003
I’m really happy with my G3 – the G5 is prettty much the same with more megapixels and reviews suggest that this may not be entirely a good thing. The downside of the digital rebel is the extra size and the cost of extra lenses which would be too, too tempting- the big plus would be the fact that it focuses like an SLR, not like a compact and has much lower levels of noise at high ISO settings – these are the big downside to me for the compact cameras. The G3 is a nice compromise with size – I don’t like too small a camera as I find them hard to hold steady. The G3’s ability to take an external flash is a big plus – particularly as I have now worked out how to use fill flash on the G3 properly. At the moment I can’t justify the additional expense of the 300D, having paid $A prices for the G3 which does most of what I want to do – but it would have been a different story I think if the 300D had been available at its current price when I was first looking.
susan S.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 22, 2003
Joe,

I too have a DC290 (wife’s camera now) and love Kodak color. The only downside of the latest Kodak is the high degree of jpeg compression which gets you smaller file sizes than you might expect.

Still, it will have that wonderful "Kodachrome" color. I miss it on my Canon 10D. I try to come close by cranking up the saturation two notches.

Steve
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 22, 2003
The only downside of the latest Kodak is the high degree of jpeg compression which gets you smaller file sizes than you might expect.

Yeah Steve I was a little concerned about that but after reading those reviews, I decided it’d be ok. I wonder why Kodak did that?

Joe
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 22, 2003
Joe,

To fit more images on that built-in memory? I dunno. I would have to give that camera a serious look as a DC 290 replacement. It looks wonderful and the closest thing to a 290 successor. I played with one the other day at a local Best Buy. I did npt have the eyepiece diopter adjusted properly so the images were blurry in the EVF. They looked great in the LCD. I don’t remember much shutter lag and the startup time made the 290 feel like a snail.

Steve
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 22, 2003
To fit more images on that built-in memory

I suppose but I would have thought that if this is Kodaks newest, high-end, SLR looking point and shoot camera they would have give users an option of reducing the compression and/or shooting in RAW/Tiff. I thought I read somewhere that they were targeting the camera at the intermediate to advanced amateur photographers who might want the option of having more control (and controls) then their current line of EasyShare cameras.

Anyway, I too think it’ll make a good replacement for my DC 290.

Joe
SS
Susan_S.
Oct 24, 2003
I just did what I said I wasn’t going to do and had a play with the Canon 300 D. I’m afraid my G3 is never going to seem quite as attractive again. The speed of focus in particular is absolutely striking and it is so much easier to manual focus…..

But then at the price that they currently charge for a G3 if you can find one, that is also very attractive (more than 25 percent less that I paid for one four months ago!)
Susan S.
R
Ray
Oct 24, 2003
Susan, I can relate to that… When we bought our current digital camera, we went at the store with the intention of trying the G3, see how it felt in our hands, take some shots and come home to see what they would look like on the computer / printer. Then, the sales clerck offered us to discover the 10D for a few moments, while he was querrying / updating the inventory system for our G3.

We went home with no camera, but with an order confirmation for the 10D… 😉

Having a lot of EOS equipment (lenses, flashes, filters), we only had the body to buy (well.. only doesn’t exactly fit the price tag of the 10D here..!!). BTW, if you’re (or anyone else) interested in a good review on the 300D, check out Popular Photography & Imaging – November 2003 edition (a
magazine).

Ray
N
nuttin
Oct 24, 2003
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/
rec.photo.digital

I own several Sonys (DSC-S70, f717) and a Canon (A300, cuz I can throw it in my purse); am going for a DSLR (have Pentax lenses…but may buy a Canon) and am definitely buying a Panasonic DMC-FZ10. If you want to do post processing and control your image, then a point and shoot is not for you; if you want a longer zoom capability, then most point and shoots don’t fill the bill; if you want to snap a shot at the drop of a hat then you probably want a point and shoot. You also want a decent LENS, the thing that makes the most difference in a camera’s image.
HTH
wrote in message
Just wondering if you had decided on a new Digital and if so, which one. I
have been sitting back and picking up pointers on different models and all the other good info. here on the forum. I have not made a decision yet on my first digital. At first I was leaning to the Nikon Coolpix 4300, then from Jodi’s expereience, the Fugi s5000, then the Minolta Diamage s414, now the Kodak DX6490. I am now totally confused. Maybe by Santa Claus time, I will make a decision. I’m sure any of the above would be a great choice, but I do like the features of the Kodak DX6490. Maybe it’s at the head of the list now. Comments welcome.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections