JK
Posted By
Jerry_Komassa
Jan 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Had CS and would use eliptical marquis to select my subject, inverse, then adjust the background brightness with Image Adjustment. Just upgraded to CS4 and whenever I try to do this, I get a border on two sides (almost like a crop) that I can’t get rid of. How do I get around this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
Jerry,

Can you post a link to a screen shot? (via your own server or pixentral.com)

Neil
JK
Jerry_Komassa
Jan 21, 2009
No, my Mac is not on-line. The other thing I notice is that if I hit the elliptical marquis against the side, top or bottom, it creates a flat edge to the ellipse. This is also something new to me.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
How close to the edge of the image is the mask?

If you’re right at the edge of the image (and depending on the amount of vignetting) the vignette will have a flat edge. Add more image to the periphery or move your vignette away from the edge.

From your description, this is neither new, atypical or unexpected behavior for a vignette.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
How close to the edge of the image is the mask?

If you’re right at the edge of the image (and depending on the amount of vignetting) the vignette will have a flat edge. Add more image to the periphery or move your vignette away from the edge.

From your description, this is neither new, atypical or unexpected behavior for a vignette.

Note: rereading your posts, you don’t say how you are softening the edge of the ellipse to create a vignette.

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2009
No, my Mac is not on-line

Can’t you use whatever machine you’re using to post here?

You can transfer the image via USB flash stick or CD-ROM.
JK
Jerry_Komassa
Jan 22, 2009
I will copy it from my Mac and post it tomorrow from my PC. I use feather to soften the edge of the vignette. As far as the marquis creating this flat spot – it didn’t happen in CS. I could go past the image and when I dragged it back it would retain it’s shape. I’ll post an image in the AM. Thank you for your feedback!
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 22, 2009
Jerry,

it didn’t happen in CS.

I think there may be a misunderstanding of what happens when you soften the edge of a vignette. What you are seeing should be independent of the CS version as it is dependent upon parameters you are using, not something in the application’s implementation of those parameters.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections