E
Posted By
Eyron
Aug 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am testing my S2 with studio flash run off the sync. port. I am using my Tamron 90/2.8 macro lense.
My meter reading when I pop the flashes is,
shutter speed 1/125 sec. and f stop F4.8.
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
They look great but not exactly accurate.
Color has a slight pink cast.
I am using daylight white bal. but I have tried auto as well. If I adjust in photshop it seems the picts. it need some red and yellow to get the skin tones accurate.

Anyone have experience with the S2 and studio portraiture? Why the slight pink cast?

EEO

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 11, 2003
"Eyron" wrote in message
I am testing my S2 with studio flash run off the sync. port. I am using my Tamron 90/2.8 macro lense.
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
I am using daylight white bal. but I have tried auto as well. If I adjust in photshop it seems the picts. it need some red and yellow
to
get the skin tones accurate.

Anyone have experience with the S2 and studio portraiture? Why the slight pink cast?

EEO
What Andre said. Manual white balance only.

You can use the following for white balance:

A piece of photo paper (from a lab) unexposed and run through the processor. It’s a good clean white.

A Kodak Gray Card. (only Kodak. others don’t seem to have a really true gray color)

A set of these cards from
http://www.proofz.com

These are the ones I use and I far prefer the 65 degree one.

HTH

http://www.bobhatch.com
Our web site about RV Stuff
A work in progress
T
Tesselator
Aug 11, 2003
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
I am using daylight white bal. but I have tried auto as well. If I adjust in photshop it seems the picts. it need some red and yellow
to

EEO

What Andre said. Manual white balance only.

You can use the following for white balance:

A piece of photo paper (from a lab) unexposed and run through the processor. It’s a good clean white.

A Kodak Gray Card. (only Kodak. others don’t seem to have a really true gray color)

A set of these cards from
http://www.proofz.com

These are the ones I use and I far prefer the 65 degree one.

Hi Bob,

I have a question. How would that help when using a studio flash setup? That would work for floods or spots but flash? And if it’s Studio it’s probably pointed at a diffusion shield of some type. I would /think/ the best way would be to rapid strope and record your ballance off the umbrella surface, or pannel or whatever is being used for diffusion. Is this wrong?

Also Eyron, do you have to take these through post anyway? If your post editing and color correction facilities are set up professionally and your file format is deep just keep doing the corrections there as I’m guessing you’ll have to anyway. No good?

O 🙂
M
McLeod
Aug 11, 2003
If white balance is the only problem why not just shoot in raw and make your white balance corrections there? Same thing as doing it on the camera.

"Bob Hatch" wrote in message
"Tesselator" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

I have a question. How would that help when using a studio flash setup? That would work for floods or spots but flash? And if it’s Studio it’s probably pointed at a diffusion shield of some type. I would /think/ the best way would be to rapid strope and record your ballance off the umbrella surface, or pannel or whatever is being used for diffusion. Is this wrong?
Yes. You want to white balance according to the light hitting the subject, same as if you were outdoors or using any other kind of light subject. The temperature of the stobes will vary depending on brand and age of the
tube,
so custom white balance is the only way to get accuracy.
You have the subject hold the card and white balance according to the instructions for your camera.

Also Eyron, do you have to take these through post anyway? If your post editing and color correction facilities are set up professionally and your file format is deep just keep doing the corrections there as I’m guessing you’ll have to anyway. No good?

O 🙂
If you custom white balance the amount of post processing for color
balance
is almost zero.

A work in progress

LM
Larry Miracle
Aug 11, 2003
I think your problem is not color balance or white balance but oversaturation.

The S2 seems to saturate colors more than some of the other cameras. Although this looks great outdoors it can look oversaturated when used with strobes.
An oversaturated face looks red.

Set COLOR to ORG (original) and set white balance to AUTO and you will be happy with the results.

Also in brightsunlight I like to set the TONE to ORG for maximum detail in highlights and shadow.
Set COLOR to HIGH to add a little pop.
I then use photoshop to add contrast if needed.

Larry

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:11:47 GMT, "Eyron" wrote:

Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
I am using daylight white bal. but I have tried auto as well. If I adjust in photshop it seems the picts. it need some red and yellow to get the skin tones accurate.

EEO

T
Tesselator
Aug 11, 2003
Hey, thanks for that Bob. Yes that makes sence (today) when I think about it. I didn’t understand that the WB would/could also be proformed from the exposure at strobe ignition off the PC Sync. For studio still shots I still do medium and large format film.

O 🙂

Hi Bob,

Yes. You want to white balance according to the light hitting the subject, same as if you were outdoors or using any other kind of light subject. The temperature of the stobes will vary depending on brand and age of the tube, so custom white balance is the only way to get accuracy.
You have the subject hold the card and white balance according to the instructions for your camera.

O 🙂
If you custom white balance the amount of post processing for color balance is almost zero.

A work in progress

T
Tesselator
Aug 11, 2003
"McLeod" wrote in message
If white balance is the only problem why not just shoot in raw and make
your
white balance corrections there? Same thing as doing it on the camera.
I don’t understand peoples facination with wanting to "use raw" and correct everything later. Why is it not easier to white balance once, in camera, rather than 80 times in computer. It takes me less than 15 seconds to do a manual white balance in camera. After that every darn image is "close" to color perfect.

Hasn’t it got to do with the association one makes with operations usually done in darkroom? Digital Darkroom work almost always has to be proformed anyway if it’s a professional shot. I think we’re assumming that these are for professional work. Being in a studio w/house flash and all…

Heck, maybe you have a lot more time than I do to fiddle with images on the screen.

So if it’s for work then making the time to do it right is way worth it. And the deeper bit depths of RAW are definatly worth working with.
M
McLeod
Aug 11, 2003
Interesting remark at the end. You are opening it through the software anyway, aren’t you? I think you probably don’t understand the concept of RAW data.

news:bh8fpk$vq45a$> Heck, maybe you have a
lot more time than I do to fiddle with images on the
screen.
GB
Gymmie Bob
Aug 12, 2003
Some digital cameras do not have a settable white balance control but only presets for certain types of lighting. If those calibrations are off they are screwed and have to do it after.

If white balance is the only problem why not just shoot in raw and make
your
white balance corrections there? Same thing as doing it on the camera.
I don’t understand peoples facination with wanting to "use raw" and
correct
everything later. Why is it not easier to white balance once, in camera, rather than 80 times in computer. It takes me less than 15 seconds to do a manual white balance in camera. After that every darn image is "close" to color perfect.

Heck, maybe you have a lot more time than I do to fiddle with images on
the
screen.

A work in progress

BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
"Gymmie Bob" wrote in message
Some digital cameras do not have a settable white balance control but only presets for certain types of lighting. If those calibrations are off they are screwed and have to do it after.\

But he was asking about a Fuji S2, not a WalMart Special. —
A work in progress
T
Tesselator
Aug 12, 2003
Some digital cameras do not have a settable white balance control but only presets for certain types of lighting. If those calibrations are off they are screwed and have to do it after.\

But he was asking about a Fuji S2, not a WalMart Special.

LOL!
BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
Interesting remark at the end. You are opening it through the software anyway, aren’t you? I think you probably don’t understand the concept of RAW data.
Ya your right. I just don’t understand the complex concepts of digital. —
A work in progress
E
Eyron
Aug 12, 2003
Thanks guys

I will try the man. white bal.

Also in Raw mode does the camera not use the cameras set white balance?

EEO
"Eyron" wrote in message
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
to

EEO

GB
Gymmie Bob
Aug 12, 2003
I bought both my Fuji cameras at Target stores. Paying too much doesn’t make the quality better.

Some digital cameras do not have a settable white balance control but
only
presets for certain types of lighting. If those calibrations are off
they
are screwed and have to do it after.\

But he was asking about a Fuji S2, not a WalMart Special. —
A work in progress

BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
I bought both my Fuji cameras at Target stores. Paying too much doesn’t
make
the quality better.
Do you even come close to understanding the difference between an S2 and a $300 FinePix?

A work in progress
BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
"Tesselator" wrote in message
Interesting remark at the end. You are opening it through the
software
anyway, aren’t you? I think you probably don’t understand the concept
of
RAW data.
Ya your right. I just don’t understand the complex concepts of digital.

Hmmm… Let’s see. I can explain it to you. There’s a ZERO and a ONE.
Hehehehe O 😀
That’s where I screwed up. I thought it was ONE and ZERO. 🙂

A work in progress
M
McLeod
Aug 12, 2003
That’s what I thought.

Ya your right. I just don’t understand the complex concepts of digital. —
A work in progress

BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
That’s what I thought.
What is it about some who when disagreed with must insult the understanding or intelligence of the person who disagrees with them.

I fully understand the "concept" of RAW date. I also understand the concept of working with up to 6 clients a day with between 70 and 100 image each. These images must be shown to each client for their selection and purchase. To be lazy at the camera and have to spend the time to correct approximately 350 images every damn day in order to provide the client with an image that "looks good" would be just plain stupid.

I also understand the concept of getting the best image in the camera to start with. It’s amazing the number of folks using film who will brag about their "spot on" exposures and have no realization that the image they see on the printed paper is the result of a darn good lab tech correcting their screwups.

Do as you will but I will continue to expose the image correctly in the camera because while I understand the "concept" of RAW date I also understand the "concept" of correct exposure using either film and digital. —
A work in progress
BH
Bob Hatch
Aug 12, 2003
Well, Bob, I probably would have let it go if I hadn’t wasted a Slice of Time looking at your website. I can point to more than a half dozen shots where the exposure appears to be off. Owning a good digital camera
doesn’t
necessarily make someone a good photographer. Maybe you should learn to spend a little more time in post processing as well. And by the way, I
have
been a professional photographer for over 17 years and I think you’re probably worth every penny you charge per image.
Like I said, can’t disagree with out insults. Too bad.

A work in progress
GB
Gymmie Bob
Aug 12, 2003
Yes, the S2 has less resolution than some -and is an old partially obsolete camera.

make
the quality better.
Do you even come close to understanding the difference between an S2 and a $300 FinePix?

A work in progress

GB
Gymmie Bob
Aug 12, 2003
I don’t know but he did.

Isn’t the picking on his personality an insult also?
Where did I say anything about his personality?

A work in progress

E
Eyron
Aug 13, 2003
WAIT

The S2 is no where near obsolete.
Its has the highest resolution and lowest noise of all the cameras in its price class.
Far less noise that Kodaks new 14mp camera and a lot cheaper than Canons 11mp.
It has repordedly near 9 mp of resolution and great colors. Low noise at high ISO and firewire.
And takes all my nikon gear.

Its a great camera.
Ask anyone who uses one.

EEO
Yes, the S2 has less resolution than some -and is an old partially
obsolete
camera.

I bought both my Fuji cameras at Target stores. Paying too much
doesn’t
make
the quality better.
Do you even come close to understanding the difference between an S2 and
a
$300 FinePix?

A work in progress

E
Eyron
Aug 13, 2003
So.

To get correct color with no casts in portraiture I will either use raw mode and adj. in PS or use Cust. white bal. set off a Kodak grey card while firing the strobes?

Sound good???

What if I use a gold insert in the brollies(2).

Remember I am trying to get rid of the pink and add a little gold to match the skin tones

EEO

"Eyron" wrote in message
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.
to

EEO

T
Tesselator
Aug 13, 2003
"Eyron" wrote in message
So.

To get correct color with no casts in portraiture I will either use raw mode and adj. in PS or use Cust. white bal. set off a Kodak grey card while firing the strobes?

Sound good???

What if I use a gold insert in the brollies(2).

Remember I am trying to get rid of the pink and add a little gold to match the skin tones

Not sure but I think you need the inverse of gold (neg) in order to ballance the cam for more gold in the shot. Probably photoshop and a printer (and some testing) could serve you.

For example if you wanted to get rid of pink then a pink card would be used… etc. At least I think that’s right.
C
Crownfield
Sep 9, 2003
Gymmie Bob wrote:
Yes, the S2 has less resolution than some -and is an old partially obsolete camera.

low noise, 12mp, asa 1600 to 100.
what is your camera with more than 12 mp?

any digital camera is obsolete the year it comes out.
they work perfectly anyway.

make
the quality better.

A work in progress

C
Crownfield
Sep 9, 2003
Larry Miracle wrote:
I think your problem is not color balance or white balance but oversaturation.

The S2 seems to saturate colors more than some of the other cameras. Although this looks great outdoors it can look oversaturated when used with strobes.
An oversaturated face looks red.

Set COLOR to ORG (original) and set white balance to AUTO and you will be happy with the results.

using studio strobes and a blue seamless background?
will auto handle a color mix like that?

Also in brightsunlight I like to set the TONE to ORG for maximum detail in highlights and shadow.
Set COLOR to HIGH to add a little pop.
I then use photoshop to add contrast if needed.

Larry

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:11:47 GMT, "Eyron" wrote:
Exposure is good.
Picts. are very sharp.

EEO

DD
David Dyer-Bennet
Sep 9, 2003
Crownfield writes:

Gymmie Bob wrote:

low noise, 12mp, asa 1600 to 100.
what is your camera with more than 12 mp?

The S2 is a 6 megapixel camera.

any digital camera is obsolete the year it comes out.
they work perfectly anyway.

There’s nothing clearly better in its space even now, I agree. (The Kodak DCS 14n is a studio camera, not general purpose; doesn’t handle low light at all well. The Canon 1Ds is really cool but is in such a different price class that they’re not alternatives to each other.) —
David Dyer-Bennet, , <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <noguns-nomoney.com> <www.dd-b.net/carry/> Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net> Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/> Dragaera mailing lists: <dragaera.info/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections