O
Posted By
o3v3tz
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are having some B & W 1920’s or earlier family photos scanned at a photo lab because we do not have the equipment to do this. Some (but not all) of these photos were probably professionally taken.

I think that their scanner has digital ICE (which may not be relevant to this discussion). We have PSE 2 with XP Home on 2.4 P4 with 1G of memory.

What I am noticing is that when I look at the CD image of the scan, it was saved in greyscale. This seems to loose that "old photo look" that happens due to aging. But we want the old photo look – of course without significant imperfections in the photo.

I have computer experience but am still a novice at PSE. I realize that I can convert from Greyscale to RGB, but it seems that the old photo look is already gone.

-Can I recreate that old photo look easily with PSE 2 ?
-Or should I have the lab rescan them and save them as RGB (or should it be Adobe RGB)?

Thanks.

BarbO

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BE
Bob_E._Warren
Jul 28, 2004
I’m guessing that the ‘old photo’ look you’re referring to is a sepia tone. You can definitely get that in Elements — and in a variety of ways. One easy way is to use the Image>Color>Color Variations tool. Just combine the colors to get the hue you want. Be sure to work on a duplicate layer so you can back out if you want to.
Bob Warren
KW
Ken_Wolin
Jul 28, 2004
If you’re looking to add a sepia tone, first change the mode from grayscale to RGB. There are many "old photo look" techniques, but I usually just add a new layer, then select the paint icon from the toolbar and fill this new layer with a color something close to orange/brown. Then in the layers palette, adjust the opacity percentage down to where you’re happy with the outcome.

I should mention that you may have to go back to the original background layer and adjust the brightness or contrast.

As I said, there are a lot of techniques to use; good luck whichever way you decide.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 28, 2004
My way out of many: convert to RGB, copy a layer, go to "Variations" and add the smallest amount (use slider) of red and yellow. Check wether this might be close to your originals. Add both colours until you get close to the desired colour, overdo it a little and use the opacity slider or/and the Hue/Saturation slider to get it right. This way you will be in full control as each image might need a different final touch to get close to the originals.

Leen
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 29, 2004
Then again…if you paid $$$ to get these scanned and you are not happy with the results, make the lab scan them again. 🙂

Patti
O
o3v3tz
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I think that the color tones I am looking for are somewhere between the strong black (almost blueish black) that I am getting when I print these photos on my Canon i950 and what I saw in the one professional original sepia photo that we have from that era. (That sepia photo is not part of this small batch I am working on now.)

I also know that I need to learn more about color management – but this is a current week project so I will compensate however needed to get the desired result for these few photos.

I will work with your suggestions. And I will remember Patti’s suggestion of asking the lab to redo – if I am not satisfied with my results. In any case I will have learned.

BarbO
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 29, 2004
The lab just didn’t understand you wanted the old faded/sepia look preserved.
A relatively accurate scan in RGB (any RGB, really) will retain it.

M
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 30, 2004
In my experience, I did extensive research on which printer produced the best B&W photos, & the hands down winner was the HP 7960 with it’s extra gray ink tank. I even bought the Canon i960 photo printer (Although in my opinion, the Canon is every bit as good with it’s color output, & even better when it comes to text only + it’s faster), & thought that it would be as good as the 7960 when it came to B&W. No way. It wasn’t as sharp, nor was it as accurate. I had earlier bought the 7960 & took it back, because of it not having individual tanks & guzzling ink. But I learned just how good it’s B&W photos were after seeing the what the i960 could do. So, I went back & bought the 7960 again – At a much cheaper price, too. All I’m saying is that if you want to re-store old B&W photos, there is nothing out there – Not even the new Epson 800 (I Think) – that even comes close. This comment may not be completely addressing your question, but if you add the better quality B&W output of the 7960 to the proper color management, then it can only make it better.
O
o3v3tz
Jul 30, 2004
Thanks Les – your comments are very relevant.

Just yesterday at the local camera store and lab, I started to evaluate buying an Epson printer for its quality and selection of available papers plus profiles.

My husband does not like very glossy prints (in either B&W or color)but prefers just a slight gloss. My results with the Canon Matte photo paper are just too "flat" and the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy is too glossy for his taste. Have not tried the Canon Pro paper yet but anticipate that it would also be too glossy. Do you have any alternate suggestions?

What paper do you suggest for a low gloss look with B&W photos on the HP 7960? Is it primarily the HP 59 gray cartridge that you are replacing regularly when you print the photos?

If I can solve the gloss dilemma for both the color photos printed on the Canon and the B&W photos on the HP, then I could add the HP for B&W and continue to use the Canon for color.

BarbO
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jul 31, 2004
Barb

I can’t speak for the HP – I have a Canon I950. I too don’t like high gloss and find matte too flat. I think it was Ray who recommended Ilford Pearl paper. I tried it and like it very much, but unfortunately it is only available here as a special order, so while I’m waiting I decided to give Konica/Minolta Satin Finish a try. It works beautifully on the i950 – sharp and clear but not too glossy. I actually like it better than the Ilford for portraits.

Cliff
O
o3v3tz
Jul 31, 2004
Cliff,

Thanks I have been on the web looking at the two papers you referenced.

At the ilford.com site, I find Classic Pearl paper and Smooth Pearl paper. I suspect that it was the Classic Pearl that you were referencing – correct?

I recollect seeing some Ilford paper at the local camera store, so I plan to call tomorrow morning to check what they have in stock.

Actually having more trouble finding the Konica/Minolta paper – but going back to searching again now.

BarbO
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jul 31, 2004
Barb
Yes it was the Classic Pearl. You can find the other at

<http://www.konica.com/betterimages/paper_types.html>

Cliff
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 31, 2004
Barb,

I’m also restoring some old family photos, and for my taste, the HP Premium Plus Gloss is fine for what I want. In addition, I sometimes use the HP PP Matte. To tell the truth, I’m still learning about the paper. And yes, I do switch out the #56 tank for the #59 Gray when I do serious printouts of especially B&W photos. But it doesn’t stop there. When I printed out the same old B&W photo of my Mom on both the HP 7960 & the Canon i960, there was no comparison in the two results. You’ll just have to do the same test and then you’ll see what I mean. But because those graphs of ink usage on the 7960 start going down pretty fast while printing (And I’ve noticed that when I only print B&W on it, the colors go down too), I’ve decided to re-purchase the i960 (To go with my 7960) mainly for the superior text & the ink tanks are individual (And also it’s quality color ability) – As you know. Right now, I’m using my old HP 880c for text, and this setup is working fine. At the I bought my 7960, I paid $160 for it at Costco, but don’t know if they still have that deal or not. Hope I’ve helped you. Here’s a comment comparing the 7960 with the Canon i9100 as far as B&W is concerned at Steve’s Digi-Cams if you want to read it: < http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/hp7960_pg3.html# conclusion>. (Please wait for the pictures to come up after you get to the page). Steve also mentioned the i950. Lastly, I know of a very good review also of the Epson R800 that was done in the UK. But it’s B&W printouts have bluish tone to them. Anyway, if you want the link just ask me. Les
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 31, 2004
Ehhh…. Sorry to ask, but I was under the impression that the #59 cartridge was designed *only* for b&w printing… Your post suggest my assumption was wrong.. Can you please confirm…? I thought that 58 was the dedicated colour photo cartridge…

Thanks,

Ray
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 31, 2004
The #56 is the regular black tank that you use for text. When I want to do serious B&W, I take out the #56 and replace it with the Gray #59. Sorry you misinterpreted my descripton. And yes – the #58 is a dedicate color tank, but there’s also another color tank as well – the #57. I’ve been so entrenched with B&W since I got this printer that I haven’t really used the color tanks that much. But I would suppose that the usage of the #59 Gray while printing color photos would also be better than using the #56. And yes, the #59 is dedicated for B&W photos. But if you really want to know about that ask HP. I don’t consider myself an authority concerning this – Just someone who is trying to help someone else as best I can.
O
o3v3tz
Aug 4, 2004
Cliff,

A question about Konica paper with the Canon i950.
What I found in a chain photo store was Konica Photo Quality Silky Inkjet Paper. I guess that it would be described as low gloss with a slight texture.

Looking at the Konica site paper settings info, I was unsure whether I should specify the "Film" paper setting. So I did the first photo (B & W) specifying High Glossy Photo and it is currently drying. It seemed strange to select "Film". So I wonder what you have used?

Here is the page that I referenced:

< http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/inkjet/setting.ht ml>

I am still considering the Ilford Pearl but was not able to get to that independent photo store that carries it in the last few days.

Thanks again.

BarbO
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Aug 4, 2004
Barb
I see there is a Silky finish and a Satin finish. Not sure what the difference is but only Satin is available here. The recommended setting is the High Glossy Film setting. That’s what I use and it works great.
Cliff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections