J
Posted By
JD
Oct 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone, I have scanned my signature but it is not smooth. Is there any way I can retouch it using either photoshop or illustrator. Thanks for any feedback.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mr3
Oct 30, 2003
Assumptions:
You are going to use the scan as a ‘signature’ on computer documents. All the documents have a white background.
Your signature is between one and two inches long, half inch tall.

Your best bet is to rescan at a higher DPI.

Depending on your scanner/software, make two scans; Grayscale, Color. This gives you some options for the next steps.

Image/Adjust/Brightness-contrast
Use sliders to make the scan background as white as possible.

Crop the resulting scan as close to the image as possible. This reduces the file size and limits problems with text/graphic overlap.

File Save As: signature.BMP AND signature.JPG
Some applications are picky about graphic file types.

‘Sign’ and print a test document to verify.
Repeat as necessary.

HTH

Mr3

"JD" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I have scanned my signature but it is not smooth. Is there any way I can retouch it using either photoshop or illustrator. Thanks for any feedback.

RF
Robert Feinman
Oct 30, 2003
In article <cOcob.225642$ says…
Make sure you scan at least 300 dpi. Set the scanner to b&w mode. Use very smooth paper and a suitable pen. Write larger than usual and then shrink afterwards.
Open file and go to threshold and adjust limits to clip fuzzy edges (won’t do anything if you are not in grey scale).
Make selection of scan and then change to path. This will smooth it then fill path on a new layer.
Finally, signatures are really a bit fuzzy, we just never look that closely..

Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com
MR
Mike Russell
Oct 30, 2003
JD wrote:

My guess is you’re scanning at too low a resolution. Try 200 ppi.

If you have a tablet, experiment with saving your signature as a path within illustrator, then saving to eps. This will be perfectly scaleable, and may be read by most applications.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
H
Hecate
Oct 31, 2003
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:31:36 GMT, "JD" wrote:

I scan signatures at 600 DPI, then use Corel Trace to convert to vector format, then Corel Draw to save as a wmf. It means the signature will stay the same whatever size you use it at, and most word processing packages will accept wmf format (At least in the Windows world anyway).

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
C
Charley
Oct 31, 2003
Now that you all know how to do this, I STRONGLY suggest that you not make this scanned image signiture available in it’s electronic form to anyone else, especially via the internet or over a LAN network. Only apply it to documents that you print from your own computer printer. It would be too easy for someone to use it to forge your signiture on a legal document if they had access to it. When I created the electronic version of my signiture I also made sure that it was significantly different in appearance from what I use when I’m personally signing something with a pen. It still looks like a personalized signiture, but it cannot be used to forge my REAL signiture. —
Charley

"JD" wrote in message

J
JD
Oct 31, 2003
Thanks Charley for your advice, I will certainly do that. I would like to say thank to all of you on your valuable advice. Thanks once again.

"Charley" wrote in message
Now that you all know how to do this, I STRONGLY suggest that you not make this scanned image signiture available in it’s electronic form to anyone else, especially via the internet or over a LAN network. Only apply it to documents that you print from your own computer printer. It would be too easy for someone to use it to forge your signiture on a legal document if they had access to it. When I created the electronic version of my
signiture
I also made sure that it was significantly different in appearance from
what
I use when I’m personally signing something with a pen. It still looks
a personalized signiture, but it cannot be used to forge my REAL
signiture.

Charley

"JD" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I have scanned my signature but it is not smooth. Is
there
any way I can retouch it using either photoshop or illustrator. Thanks
for
any feedback.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections