Posted By
Lorenz Haas
Mar 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have scanned a book (pure text) in grayscale and 300dpi. Now I whant to convert the images to a pdf file. To recive a small size I tryed to convert the images to a pixmap (with different filters and optimations). But I don’t have found the best options to do so. My file size is still about 200K (in pdf) for an A4 paper size.

But all the e-books which also uses scanned images get a result about 80K for one page whith a better looking.

Has any of you get these compression with a good readable text. Which filters and conversions do you have used. And of course to which dpi rate and paper size do you have scaled your input image.

Thanks for helping,

Lorenz

P.s.: I have searched the web for that, because I thought there must be somthing like an tutorial for that, but found nothing. So I you know such a side please tell me.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

T
Tacit
Mar 7, 2007
In article <45eeb802$0$15957$>,
Lorenz Haas wrote:

But all the e-books which also uses scanned images get a result about 80K for one page whith a better looking.

Are you sure that the ebooks you see are using scanned pages?

A PDF which contains scans of a page is always going to be larger than a PDF created from text, not scans.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
LH
Lorenz Haas
Mar 7, 2007
tacit wrote:
Are you sure that the ebooks you see are using scanned pages?

Well ebooks is not the right term. For example when old journals converted in a digital format, one simply scans the pages and transform the images into a PDF. These things I ment.

A PDF which contains scans of a page is always going to be larger than a PDF created from text, not scans.

Of course.

Lorenz
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 7, 2007
Lorenz Haas wrote:
Hello,

I have scanned a book (pure text) in grayscale and 300dpi. Now I whant to convert the images to a pdf file. To recive a small size I tryed to convert the images to a pixmap (with different filters and optimations). But I don’t have found the best options to do so. My file size is still about 200K (in pdf) for an A4 paper size.

Has any of you get these compression with a good readable text. Which filters and conversions do you have used. And of course to which dpi rate and paper size do you have scaled your input image.

Thanks for helping,

Lorenz

P.s.: I have searched the web for that, because I thought there must be somthing like an tutorial for that, but found nothing. So I you know such a side please tell me.

Have you tried CutePDF?
It works as a printer driver, so you can access it from just about any application that supports printing.
Just print as normal and when you get the dialogue to select printers, choose CutePDF instead of your normal printer and it will save everything down as a PDF document.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections