Posted By
david_pullum
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

Can someone please help me add soft focus to a picture, I’m having difficulty, sorry I’m a beginner and all this computer stuff is baffling me

Thks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
never a stupid question here. There are a number of ways you can add a soft focus to an image. I will give you one ‘simple’ way to get you started( although there are more intense methods );

First off, when you bring an image into Elements it’s called a ‘background’ layer. Double click on this layer in the layers palette>a pop up will appear asking you to rename the layer, just click OK. Now you have an editable layer. Duplicate this layer. You will now have 2 layers of the same image. On the top layer apply a glaussian blur>filter>blur>glaussian. At this point use the slider to blur the entire image but not too much…just enough to appear ‘soft’. Now click on the eraser tool and choose a size in a ‘soft’ brush. Lower the opacity to 50 %( or less)and begin to erase the areas of the glaussian blur layer that you would wish to be more clearer. Go over areas more than once if needed.

Another option when applying glaussian blur filter is to apply it to almost the max and then change the blending mode to ‘lighten’ and lower the opacity and again slightly erase areas.
As I said, this is one ‘simple way’.
DP
david_pullum
Jul 23, 2004
Cheers Jodi I will try that many thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections