M
Posted By
Monster-0
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had a import/export item in PS CS3 file menu but it’s nowhere to be found in PS CS4. There’s a folder in plug-ins but nothing in the file menu? Any ideas?

Thnx

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 9, 2009
Are you referring to the TWAIN plug-in which was used by some for scanning from inside Photoshop?

TWAIN is no longer installed by default in CS4 because it is recommended that you scan using your Scanner software in stand-alone mode.

However, if you really want the optional TWAIN plug-in, you will find it in the CS4 Goodies folder.
R
Ram
Jan 10, 2009
Β…if you really want the optional TWAIN plug-in, you will find it in the CS4 Goodies folder.

Β…and use it at your own risk. :/

it is recommended that you scan using your Scanner software in stand-alone mode.
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 10, 2009
Why that? What is the risk? Thanks!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
The TWAIN plug-in conflicts with incorrectly coded scanner drivers from Epson and others and can cause Photoshop to crash.

But you should NOT be wasting your time, and Photoshop’s resources, by scanning through it anyway.
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 11, 2009
Ok, never happened to me.
C
Cindy
Jan 11, 2009
But you should NOT be wasting your time, and Photoshop’s resources, by scanning through it anywa

When you scan only one or two at a time it is more convenient to use Photoshop. I use SilverFast.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 11, 2009
I just go directly to launch SilverFast or NikonScan (depending on which scanner I am using) Β— even for a single scan.

I have had the TWAIN pug-in permanently disabled for years now Β— possibly as far back as the days of Photoshop 6.
M
Monster-0
Jan 12, 2009
They are my resources and I can waste tem if I want to πŸ™‚

Thanks, you are right though.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 12, 2009
Of course you can Β… if you want to!

πŸ™‚

But it’s not much fun, or very productive, if Photoshop freezes every time that you try to launch it Β… and that is what commonly happens if the TWAIN plug-in is installed and you have an Epson scanner connected.
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 12, 2009
I have an Epson Perfection 2400 connected and no problems except that the software sucks. For me it’s much faster to do import. The automatic naming of the software is super annoying. With a huge file you risk to lose your scan of course, in that case I also prefer the Epson software, but it never crashed on me (Ps CS1/2/3).

If I had SilverFast I’d prefer it over both. Do you have to get a separate one for each scanner?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 12, 2009
Do you have to get a separate one for each scanner?

Yes, unfortunately. And it is expensive.

But SilverFast AI is excellent scanning software Β— especially if you want to scan color negatives.
R
Ram
Jan 13, 2009
Epson Perfection 2400 connected and no problems except that the software sucks. For me it’s much faster to do import.

??? You’re still running the same Epson software through a plug-in.

I use VueScan, one utility for all my three scanners. See if you like it. It’s very, very reasonably priced.
T
T._Schmidt
Jan 13, 2009
I only scan sketches and old articles, nothing of color importance.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 29, 2009
I read somewhere that now we should use Adobe Acrobat>Document>Scan to PDF… >Scan, rather than the TWAIN Plug-in, because TWAIN causes Crashes?
If that is the new and more Correct Workflow, Acrobat Scan has Options… which are numerous. Any guidance for best Photoshop Photographic Quality Options to specify w/ Acrobat Scan Options?
Thank you,
Sincerely,
eric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 29, 2009
Why are you trying to scan from inside Acrobat?

You should use your Scanner software as a stand-alone product (either that which came with your scanner or a third-party product such as SilverScan or Vue scan) and then scan to a Tiff at sufficient resolution for your purpose.

Then use Photshop to open, edit and save the scanned Tiff to meet your final requirements.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 29, 2009
I’ve been reading that the TWAIN Plug-in causes PS to Crash. ? Didn’t want to Install the Optional "Twain Plug-in", from the’ Goodies’ Disk selections that came w/ the new CS4, which might then cause problems.
That is why I wondered if Adobe is suggesting the Adobe Acrobat Scan alternative. ? thanks,
eric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 29, 2009
You don’t need the TWAIN plug-in; nor do you need to fire-up either Photoshop or Acrobat in order to scan.

Just locate your installed Scanner software (in your Applications folder); launch it; scan; and save to disk.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 29, 2009
Or put the icon for the scanner software in your Dock or as an alias on your Desktop and you’re set.

Neil
B
Buko
Jan 29, 2009
eric neither Photoshop or Acrobat can scan without the manufactures scanning software. Just hooking up the scanner to your computer and expecting either application to scan is absurd. And no Adobe is not suggesting the Adobe Acrobat Scan as an alternative. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

What you need to use to scan is dedicated scanning software. Whether its the software that came with the scanner, or 3rd party scanning software. When you scan you need some control over what you are doing. That’s why you need the scanning software.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 29, 2009
I have Epson Scan now on my Dock, but I thought there was a Workflow advantage to having Photoshop>File>Import>Epson(?Twain) as part of the process of scanning directly from w/in Photoshop.
That is why I’m wondering if the Twain Plug-in should or shouldn’t be Installed into the //Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/Import-Export folder. ?
Adobe seems to have reservations to doing so?
thanks,
eric
B
Buko
Jan 29, 2009
I thought there was a Workflow advantage to having Photoshop>File>Import

Well the only advantage is that you are tying up a $1000 application as a scanning interface. Come to think of it that’s not really much of an advantage more like the misuse of expensive software.
B
Buko
Jan 29, 2009
the problem with the Twain Plugin is that Epson and some of the other scanner manufacturers can make a driver that doesn’t conflict with Adobe’s specs.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 29, 2009
Adobe doesn’t control TWAIN, we just implement the public spec. If a scanner maker can’t write their drivers to work with that spec., then they can cause problems (and enough problems occured that we had to make TWAIN optional).
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 30, 2009
Sorry for the delay in this Reply.
Just got out of my Photoshop Continuing Studies Evening Class, and I guess I’m convinced by you Gents & my Professor as well, that I don’t want to Install the Twain Plug-in into the Photoshop CS4 Imports/Exports Folder.
I guess that using the Epson Scanner Software, and saving the Scan Image to the Desktop, then w/in PS>Open… will be the best way to proceed in Photoshop w/ that scan.
Thanks for all your continuing thoughtful responses.
Sincerely,
eric
R
Ram
Jan 30, 2009
A utility like VueScan will open an image directly in Photoshop if you set its preferences to do it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
What you may choose to do in CS4 is to open your scanned Tiff in ACR (rather than directly into Photoshop) and do your preliminary color correcting in that program.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 30, 2009
Ann: ? Are you suggesting ACR, as in Acrobat?
If so, and if you have the time to elaborate; how would the Acrobat Pro Application be better than opening a Scan (placed on the Desktop, from Epson Scan,) directly w/ Photoshop?
Thanks,
eric
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 30, 2009
eric,

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw; not Acrobat.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
If you have RAW or JPEG format images (directly from your camera) or unlayered scanned Tiffs or JPEGs, you can select those images in Bridge CS4 and hit Cmd R to open them in Adobe Camera Raw 5.2.

I recommend that you do your preliminary color correction in ACR because it is totally non-destructive and you can change your settings as often as you like without damaging your files.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 30, 2009
Thank you, I do that already.
The only thing that I apparently need to reprogram myself to do now (w/ CS4,) is to initially open the Epson Scanner Software, scan 1st, then PS File>Open… &find the scan on the Desktop, rather than having PS do it through File>Import>Epson Perfection 4990…
thanks,
eric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
initially open the Epson Scanner Software, scan 1st, then PS File>Open… &find the scan on the Desktop,

If you make a folder called "New Scans" you could set your scanning software to Batch scan and save your scans into that folder.

Then open the "New Scans" folder in Bridge and select thumbnails there to open directly into ACR.

You can be working on existing scans while the folder is filling-up with further images that are being scanned in the background.

You can then open your files from ACR directly into Photoshop in the size and color Profile of your choice.
L
lisarose66
Jan 30, 2009
am having an issue with the TWAIN plug-in using photoshop cs3! i tried removing the plug-in then replacing it to no avail. the plug-in won’t load. should i just move on without it? i would like to be able to scan thru PShop.

my scanner is the HP ScanJet 5400c. system Mac OS 10.5.6 hardware MacPro 2.66ghz

any ideas?

Lisa
B
Buko
Jan 30, 2009
should i just move on without it?

Yes scan with scanning software.
EF
eric_Friedman
Jan 30, 2009
Ann: Thank you very much for your thorough & thoughtful suggestions! Your latest suggestion will certainly help streamline the Workflow.
The following Link:

<http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-601929.html>

has been my on-going concern, re: Installing that optional "Goodies" TWAIN Plug-in into PS’s Import Folder.
I certainly don’t want to throw any ‘bugs’ into my new MacBook Pro, so I’m fairly well resolved to follow your earlier suggestions. It’s not as simple as my CS3 PS>Import>Epson…, but it does get me directly into that Bridge->Camera Raw advantages for fine-tuning my images.

Thank you again, and I’d just love to know what type of work you do, that enables you to be so knowledgeable about PS, Bridge, Camera Raw, etc.
Sincerely,
eric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
Eric:

I just have to wear a lot of hats in a small advertising agency Β— and I guess that I have been wearing them all for quite a long time now!
πŸ™‚

But I am glad that my comments were helpful to you Β…,
JT
Julie_Tesser
Apr 2, 2009
I installed Adobe CS4 and now I can’t find my scanner. It’s an Epson1640SU. When I open directly from the scanner software it crashes. I tried adding the Twain plug-in but that did nothing and it seems from some of what I read above that’s not so good anyway. I would like to scan through photoshop. Any suggestions? Thanks, Julie
B
Buko
Apr 2, 2009
yeah don’t waste your $1000 software as a scanner UI.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections