DM
Posted By
Dale_Mead
Dec 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t know if this is a Photoshop problem or a 10.4.11 problem, but it starts with image files created in PS CS3. I create an image file to my satisfaction. If I want to transport it somewhere I create a jpg version using Save As or Image Processor script. Then I drag and drop, cut and paste, or use the Mail Attach function to add the jpg to an e-mail message. When I do, the image is severely over-saturated, as if I had increased the Saturation by +50 or something.

One odd thing is that it just started happening spontaneously about six months ago after years of perfect function: The inserted image looked just like the PS original. I can’t imagine what setting I could accidentally change that would result in this. Obviously it can’t involve monitor calibration because it all is happening on the same monitor.

Another odd thing: Some people receiving the e-mail see the file as over-saturated, some don’t. I created a jpg in Photoshop, then saved a screen grab of it. Then I saved the jpg itself and uploaded both onto the Internet for others in my Macintosh guild to observe. Three of four saw no difference, while the fourth saw a dramatic difference – all remotely on their own computers.

Here’s the original jpg in Photoshop, captured by screen grab:

< http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/frmeads/screengrab.j pg>

Here’s the saved jpg:

< http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/frmeads/Saved-see.jp g>

Any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Dec 25, 2008
Convert your images to sRGB before saving for web, or before Saving As. Check the FAQs of this forum. This is covered.

If your image is to be viewed in a wide-gamut monitor (yours or anyone else’s), you MUST embed the color profile.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 25, 2008
Grab is a tiff
DM
Dale_Mead
Dec 26, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. FYI, I am not using the Grab function; I am using Cmd-Shft-4, which lets me marquee the screen image area to capture and turns it into picture-1.jpg stored on my desktop. That, renamed, is what I uploaded to a remote server for Web perusing. Thus the two sample images I posted for comparison both are jpgs. Does that suggest any other explanations, or am I missing something?

I just replicated my process to ensure I am describing it accurately. Picture 1.jpg matches the saturation of screengrab.jpg:

intriguingly, when I opened picture 1.jpg in PS CS3 and screen-grabbed it as described above, doing so DEsaturated the image. See the new example at
DM
Dale_Mead
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks,
GB
g_ballard
Dec 26, 2008
this has been covered many times here and is a common mistake

open the weak image in Photoshop (honor embedded Color LCD profile) and Edit> Assign Profile: Adobe RGB

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/assignconvert.html>
< http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPE Gprofiles.html>

you also need to System Preferences> Displays> Color: Calibrate to 2.2 gamma and 6500

please read the links or search for more information (sRGB Save for Web shift desaturate) key words
GB
g_ballard
Dec 26, 2008
btw, why does your Picture2.jpg open in Camera RAW — that’s pretty weird — bypass Camera Raw in your test for now until you get the workflow figured out
R
Ram
Dec 26, 2008
Sorry, but this time our guru GB got it wrong, dead wrong. :/

Screen shots are created in the space of your monitor and normally with the monitor profile embedded —unless you strip it afterwards.

Under no circumstances should you ever assign a profile to a screen shot. Instead CONVERT the image to sRGB, not assign.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 26, 2008
Edit> Assign Profile: Adobe RGB

That move is a clue in this mystery (because it corrects the problem)

my assign-convert link explains the details
my profiles color management link demonstrates the phenomenon

I hope my clue or my links didn’t confuse anyone
GB
g_ballard
Dec 26, 2008
the problem here appears to be clearly the weak photo was opened in an unmanaged application, and the Mac defaulted/assumed/assigned/applied its default monitor profile

the proof is Assigning Adobe RGB corrects the problem

++++++

Adobe RGB is one of the worst color spaces to use if you don’t understand it

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections