SCAN 8.5 X 11 THEN PRINT 8.5 X 11 – EXACT DUPLICATE Y&N?

BW
Posted By
Blake_Waller
Jul 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to scan a document 8.5 x 11 and then later print it out. It always seems to cut off part in print preview. Have had this problem many times. I need to print all the way full size. Have tried borderless, fit to media, etc. What am I doing wrong.

Blake

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 4, 2004
Blake,
I doubt that you’re doing anything wrong. Depending upon your printer, it just may not be possible to accurately do what you want. My Epson 890 claims borderless printing at 8 1/2 x 11, but I notice that at that size there is some cropping and interpolation right at the borders of the print. I don’t know of any printer that will do exactly what you want , maybe a laser ?

🙂

Brent
BW
Blake_Waller
Jul 4, 2004
Brent,

Thanks for the response. I have an Epson PHOTO RX500. With what I am trying to do, it is very vital that I can create an 8.5 x 11 Photoshop project and then print it out exactly and to the full width of the paper.

If this is not possible, then I will probably not be very happy with Adobe and/or Epson. Do you know of any software/printer combo that can do this??

Blake
BW
Blake_Waller
Jul 4, 2004
Brent,

I guess I better clarify myself. My real goal is to be able to create an Adobe Photoshop Elements project and print it out exactly. To be able to scan and print or even copy and print would be great also. Seems there is always a roadblock to some projects!

Blake
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 4, 2004
Black,
If you’re after accurate printing of what is on the display, you should be able to get pretty close. Printing accurately to the edge of a piece of paper is the rub. Generally , each printer driver has a printable area and an unprintable area for the paper size selected.
As far a color accuracy is concerned, you should be better off. Ian Lyons has a tutorial on printing in Photoshop , which is the same as Elements, < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> . The best output should be with the Epson driver ( in the Advanced Tab ) selecting "No Color Adjustment" , and the Print preview output space profile selecting a media profile for the particular Epson paper and your printer. You’ll also need to select paper size and image quality in the Epson driver. I’d submit a 360 ppi image to the printer and see how it works.

🙂

Brent
BW
Blake_Waller
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks Brent,

I will see what I can do.

Blake
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 5, 2004
If you have more specific problems, be sure to come back. I don’t have that particular printer, but in general , the Epson photo printers have similar drivers and do a fine job.

🙂

Brent
R
RobertHJones
Jul 5, 2004
Blake,

Whether or not you can make borderless prints is dependent on the capabilities of the printer and the settings in the printer driver’s properties. Your Epson PHOTO RX500 advertises as being able to make borderless prints on letter paper so you should be able to get very close.

I do not have the RX500 but I took a quick look at the printer manual on the Epson site and it gives instructions for how to make borderless prints (see pages 41-42 if you are using Windows). According to the manual, there is a checkbox in the printer properties dialog window that you must check to print without borders. It also says that, if necessary, there is an expansion slider on the printer properties "Page Layout" tab that can expand the image. Try those out and see if it does the job, sounds like it should.

The other thing you should do (and I assume you’ve already done this) is to make sure the image size is exactly 8.5×11 at the printing resolution you are using. If you do that, you won’t need to use the "scale to fit media" in print preview — just make sure the scale says 100%.

Elements can create a border around the image for printing but unless you set it up, you shouldn’t have one. On print preview, check the show more options box and set the drop down menu to "output". You can now make sure the caption and corner crop marks are unchecked and you have no border specified under border.

Good luck,

Bob
BW
Blake_Waller
Jul 5, 2004
Bob,

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly check it out. Seems I have tried every combination available but to no avail….

Will carefully follow your instructions and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Blake Waller

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections