How to get rid of the CS4 registration number?

PS
Posted By
Paul Schilliger
Dec 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m running into a problem as usual with the Adobe upgrades. Not just their fault! After installing on my desktop Mac, I copied my disk to my new Powerbook drive and added a fresh OS install. Now, the CS4 apps won’t launch and I get the usual message: registration informations are obsolete. How do I get from here? If I delete (un-install) and re-install CS4, the problem persists (Installer doesn’t ask for the rego). Which file(s) should I manually trash?

CS4 has a feature to clear registration numbers, but to access the command, one of the CS4 apps must be launched, which is not possible. Is there something in one of the numerous small programs that have been added to the suite? Thanks for your time!

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike_Romeau
Dec 13, 2008
Re-try in a single user.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 13, 2008
Hi, Mike – Should I understand : creating a new account to the Mac and installing from there?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2008
I suggest that you use the CS4 UN-installer to remove CS4 entirely from your Powerbook. You may also need to run the Clean-up Script.

Then re-install CS4 from the original DVD and Activate the program.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks for your suggestions!

I performed 4 full installations tonight, with partial, total uninstall and clean up script in between, and I always get the same message: Obsolete license, Error 150 : 30. Maybe the obsolete license warning is not the culprit. Adobe Support Advisor test says that the installer encountered a problem, and gave this link which is about the fonts folder. I should check the log file next week. I still have the option of installing from another user account as suggested by Mike, which I havn’t tried yet. But enough for now…
R
Ram
Dec 14, 2008
After installing on my desktop Mac, I copied my disk to my Powerbook’s

Always a bad move, as you’ve found out. Do as Ann suggests:

I suggest that you use the CS4 UN-installer to remove CS4 entirely from your Powerbook.
You may also need to run the Clean-up Script.

Then re-install CS4 from the original DVD and Activate the program
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 14, 2008
error 150:30

I could get there,
finally, but had to tweak things manually….

The Adobe installers become increasingly fussy. I already had a recurrent failure
when I installed CS3. After much time lost in investigations (I first thought that having installed a demo previously was the cause), almost by chance, I found on the Adobe website a diagnostic tool for
CS3. It reported that
the failure to install was due to a broken link alias present in the ColorSync
folder. This
diagnostic tool is now included in the CS4 installation in a more user friendly form, though still not fully efficient for the end user (no clear explanation for some error codes). Running Adobe Support Advisor returned a link to a support page mentioning that a problem came during installation from the inability to over-write some fonts that were locked, and advised to unlock all fonts. I did it by click info on the font folders and by unlocking the folders and all contents (not forgetting the Adobe Fonts folder).
Re-installed for the fifth time after running another CS4 clean script, SC4 elements search and delete, and additional Acrobat and Dreamweaver removal. No
change, still the same error message at launch! :- (

Error message was: Product License is no longer valid. Below, it was mentioned that the computer needed to be re-started to use the product, etc. Error 150:30. It was in fact two different problems summed up in
one message, hence the difficulty to figure a way out. The Font folder problem reported by ASA was not the only problem, and over writing another file was probably the culprit, as I found here next:

A search for error 150:30 on Google returned a helpful link: Amitoj Singh, "AMT Subsystem Failure Error is Ridiculous!" #2, 10 Nov 2007 9:14 am </webx?14/1> Had I found that link
earlier, it would have saved my day and a next morning headache!

User Irridiaskye’s post is about FLEXnet. I’m not sure, but this seems to be a folder that keeps registration process records. I actually didn’t do exactly what Cindy did, but the result is probably the same.

Here’s what worked for me:

– Found the folder in Library/ Application Support/ FLEXnet Publisher/ Service. Displaced the folders named 11.5.0 from the Service folder to the desktop (mind if you have CS3 still running, the older folder named 11.03.005 could be for it, though it’s just speculations from my part). – Found the folder Library/ Preferences/ FLEXnet Publisher/ FLEXnet. Removed the tsf and log files.
Re-started the computer. Photoshop launched, fit and active without asking anything more. I could upgrade the suite from the web.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––

It should be nice if the un-installers could deal with such problems linked with old registration files, wrong aliases and such! Copying drive contents to a new hard drive or to a book, instead of spending days reinstalling dozens of programs that needs to be updated is just normal life, even if it’s certainly not optimal. Anyway, two days spent installing CS4 is perhaps not that bad. I know, some out there are still pulling their hair at it!

Thanks for your help!
MG
Maureen_Grant
Dec 28, 2008
Hello,

I’m having the same problem installing CS4 on my Macbook Pro OS 10.5. I have reinstalled at least 4 times and the the software will not launch – the error is 150:30.

I tried all of the suggestions above but I don’t seem to have folder for FLEXnet Publisher etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 28, 2008
I don’t seem to have folder for FLEXnet Publisher

Hi Maureen,

Sorry to read about your installation problems, it’s not fun… Have you tried a search on your drive with Sherlock? The folders should be in your main Library somewhere. The only way I can explain the absence of those folders is if another problem came in the way during the installation process and canceled further installation of CS4 components such as the FLEXnet and FLEXnet Publisher folders. Error 150:30 is in fact an error code that points the inability for the installer to overwrite an existing file. This file can also be a locked font in one of the Font folders. Here is what you should check after making sure that the FLEXnet folder isn’t there: select your font folders, type command-i, and in the information windows that opens, check if yourself and the admin group have read and write privileges. If so, click the button "apply to all contents" in the bottom of the window. If privileges are set to read only, change it to read and write, then click "apply to the contents" (I’m not sure of the exact words for I am translating). There are several font folders, type Fonts in the upper search space. If your installation succeeds, it might be wise to lock your System fonts for write afterwards, it depends. Let us know if this helps or if we can try to help you further.

Good luck

Paul
T
T._Schmidt
Dec 28, 2008
I have a very basic question: How do I run this Un-Installer Script you mentioned (what app)? Thanks!
R
Ram
Dec 28, 2008
They’re two separate things. One is the Adobe Uninstaller, which gets installed in ./ Applications / Utilities / Adobe/. The other one is the CS3Clean script, which is needed if you didn’t use the uninstaller or are otherwise having issues after uninstalling, and which you have to download from the Adobe site.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 28, 2008
How do I run this Un-Installer Script?

In the Photoshop CS4 application folder, there is a file called CS4 Uninstall. Adobe advises to run this script first. If problems still occur, there is a CS4 Clean script that can be downloaded from here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html>
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 28, 2008
Hey, sorry for echoing your post, Ramòn!
R
Ram
Dec 28, 2008
No, you’re not echoing anything of the sort, Paul. You’re giving out totally different and kind of dubious information. 😉

In the first place, the Adobe Uninstaller is not a script, but an application (.app). Secondly, the "Uninstall Adobe Photoshop CS4" file in the Adobe Photoshop CS4 folder is not called "CS4 Uninstall", and, what’s more, that’s merely an alias for the original application tucked away deep in the bowels of your main Library.

../ Library / Application Support / Adobe / Installers / cb9dd3338cc1be31e597d7747535dd0 / Uninstal.app

You may have the right things in mind, but you’re not "echoing my post" at all, especially since I had the CS3 uninstaller in mind. 😀

Just trying to clarify things.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 28, 2008
You’re giving out totally different and kind of dubious information.

All right! I tried my best thinking I could linger on alone here on a Sunday evening, but I’m glad the Cavalry got back! 🙂

And yes, sorry for the approximate translations of my French install folder contents!

Paul
T
T._Schmidt
Dec 29, 2008
Ok but how do I run such a script? The question seems to be to basic that it’s ridiculous, sorry.
R
Ram
Dec 29, 2008
Ok but how do I run such a script?

The CS3Clean script? It comes with detailed instructions on the download page.
MR
Mike_Romeau
Dec 30, 2008
Hello Paul

Sorry it took so long to respond to your question (post #2).

I usually do the following:

1. Click on Apple menu – Restart
2. During bootup, press and hold Command + S to startup in Single User mode
3. At the command prompt local host:/ root# / type the following:&#8232;/sbin/fsck –fy
4. Press the Return key. This executes the File System Check and allows any repairs needed. Notice the display indicating what is being checked (HFS Plus volume, Extents Overflow file, Catalog file, multi-linked files, Catalog hierarchy, volume bit map, volume information). And, it will start in a single-user mode.
5. If errors are found, you’ll see the message FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED. Run the File System Check command again until all errors are repaired and you see the message The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK
6. At the command prompt local host:/ root# / type the following:&#8232;reboot It is good practice to run File System Check once per month to help keep your Mac error-free!

Paul, let the Unix function that is built in Mac do it’s thing.

Mike
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 30, 2008
Mike

Thanks for your in depth explanation! I wasn’t aware of this system files check procedure. Does this work on a different level than for instance booting from another volume or DVD/CD to run a file check and permission repair, and recreate the volume directory with a utility such as DiskWarrior, or is it more or less the same action?

Paul
A
AGS29
Jan 1, 2009
I have purchase Photoshop CS4 and the instructions say I have to download and install a prepare_install.txt script

I have downloaded the file and gone into termainl window. the instructions say to type ‘sh install_prepare’ but when I do this i cannot find the file. which command in termainl window do I use to locate this file
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
…the instructions say I have to download and install a prepare_install.txt script

I have never heard of such a thing. Can you point to a reference where you read that?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 1, 2009
AGS,

I have downloaded the file and gone into termainl window.

Why are you going to the Terminal? Adobe apps are just not installed that way. You launch the app’s installer and go seamlessly from there.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections