MD
Posted By
Monica_Dotolo
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, First I’d like to say THNAK YOU FOR BEING HERE !!!!!!!!, I’ve learned some things just from lurking Until NOW.

Last week I scanned in a text document, black and white, simple, and I was able to scan it in by just using the import function, and it came out as an
rgb which was fine and perfect exactly what I wanted. Today I went to do it again, and no matter how I scan, or what settings I change I can only get it to be a bmp. UGHHHHHHHHHHH. Does anybody have any clue what I’m talking about, or how to help me. I can get it to go from a bmp to a grayscale, but not to an rgb. Thanks for reading this. Monica

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 12, 2004
Monica, you can go from Bitmap to Grayscale, then Grayscale to RGB. See if that works for you.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 12, 2004
Monica, p.s. You can probably scan independently of Elements and set the scanner to give you an RGB to begin with. I do all my scanning that way – bring the images in using scanner software, then open them in Elements as the last step (Epson gives you that option).

Chuck
MD
Monica_Dotolo
Jun 12, 2004
Chuck, Thanks I’ve done both of these. Going from bitmap to grayscale then to rgb takes some time. But it does work.

The problem w/scanning into one program and then opening it in elements is that when you print it out again, you can see a grayish background of the original, especially if you do any cutting out of sentances,it leave a white rectangle where you cut or if you resize the original to make it smaller you can tell that it’s not all one document because of the background, it leaves whiter edges around the smaller document onto the new one. LOL , but not very pretty.

I could swear I just scanned in as import, w/settings set for black and white text 1200 dpi’s and a brighness setting of -100 and it scanned in as an rgb, cause that’s what my notes say.

Thanks, M
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 12, 2004
Monica, what happens if you set it for other than black and white text? That sounds like a setting that would induce the scanner to select bitmap…

Also, you can get rid of that grayish background in Elements by selecting it with the Magic Wand tool and doing an Edit>Clear. Should be white if your Color Picker (overlapping squares in Toolbox) are set to default (Black foreground, white background).
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 12, 2004
Monica,
You may want to look at this scanning calculator to see if you are using parameters that are appropriate for your project:
<http://www.image-access.net/calc/index.html>
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections