Posted By
editgrrl
Dec 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,
Please forgive me for asking what is probably a very basic question but I’m not having any luck with this and it’s driving me i-n-s-a-n-e.
How do you apply formatting changes to a number of layers of type, at once, or change all type layers in a document?
I"m in Adobe CS.
Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
editgrrl
Dec 3, 2008
Hmmm. No bites. Anybody out there?
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 3, 2008
Record an action where you change the type, by selecting the layer only and with the type tool selected, make changes in the character panel or type options panel. Enter button mode and apply the action to each layer. You might be able to select multiple layers at one time. Scripting would be a lot easier, I imagine.
E
editgrrl
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, that’s crazy to have to do it that way. Ok, I’ll try it. Isn’t t there a more intuitive way? It seems odd that they would overlook this. Am I missing something really basic to the program here or is there simply no other way to do it?
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
You’re clearly using the wrong program for whatever you’re doing, editgrrl. :/
E
editgrrl
Dec 3, 2008
Actually I’m doing design for a web page and have a lot of bullet point items. I want to do several designs with different text styles, colors, etc., and need an easy way to change it up. But I’m about ready to shoot myself after editing each little text item.
Man, I need a Wacom tablet. Rigor mortis is setting in after a day of l having my fingers locked around this mouse.
E
editgrrl
Dec 3, 2008
It seems strange to me that there wouldn’t be a simple mechanism for editing multiple layers of type.
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
Photoshop is an image editing application, not a page layout program.

I know some folks use it for building mockups of web pages, but it’s not a web site building program either.

In a page layout program, editing multiple text blocks would be trivial.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 3, 2008
You haven’t said what kind of editing. If you want to change the font, or the colour, or any other property in the character palette, just select all the layers and make the changes .

I think that works back in CS. No way of checking.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 3, 2008
Basically, typographic capability is an accommodation for an image editing app. I’ve usually found it far more productive to set and edit text elsewhere if there are more than a few words involved.

Neil
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 3, 2008
It seems strange to me that there wouldn’t be a simple mechanism for editing multiple layers of type

There is if you upgrade your version of Photoshop.

The comments about PS not being a typesetting program are true but I don’t think putting text on buttons requires any degree of typographic sophistication!
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 3, 2008
Have you tried this?

1. In the Layers palette, link all type layers you want to modify.

2. In the character (or paragraph) palette, shift-click in the field you want to modify.

3. Make your changes.

All the type objects should change accordingly.

Or am I misunderstanding what you’re trying to do?
E
editgrrl
Dec 3, 2008
I tried that but to no avail. Only the field I am trying to change, changes. CS won’t allow me to select several layers at once.
It would still be a bit of a hassle because it would have to be done layer by layer, but a simple type styles palette would do the trick. They have a layer styles palette for adding a blue drop shadow to each layer or whatever. Why then not have a basic type styles ability?
I guess it is what it is. I just find it hard to believe that Adobe in all its magnificence, the best of the best, would overlook such a basic necessary thing. That’s why I’m finding it so hard to believe.
I’ll try those other suggestions and post back. Thanks
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 3, 2008
I just find it hard to believe that Adobe in all its magnificence, the best of the best, would overlook such a basic necessary thing in a program where people commonly work in lots of layers. It’s not like it’s the first version of Photoshop!

No, but Photoshop CS is 4 versions old…and there is indeed a better way of doing what you want to do if you were running the CURRENT version. For the life of me, I can’t even remember what CS has or doesn’t have at this stage (it being so old) but /i think what you want is the Type Tool preset (I think CS had that but I can’t remember).
P
Phosphor
Dec 3, 2008
Follow Doug’s steps, but instead of holding SHIFT when targeting the attribute you want to change, hold SHIFT, then tap Enter/Return or click OK.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
Checking a little deeper with PS 7 [don’t have PS CS(1)] you’ll have to hold the SHIFT key when you click on the Character Palette’s color swatch in order to change all linked layers.

And with the Faux Bold, Italics, Caps, etc buttons, you’ll also have to hold the SHIFT key when clicking to affect all layers equally.

This behavior could have changed with PS CS(1) so you may have to experiment.
E
editgrrl
Dec 4, 2008
Nope. Still not working when you hold down the shift key. I haven;t had a chance to try the other things, will do that shortly.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
Well if you just want to apply styles to the type layers

copy the style of the correct layer

highlight all the other layers you want to change and paste the style.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 4, 2008
I didn’t say select all the layers. I said link them.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
Somebody needs to specifically check with PS CS(1). I skipped that version.

I can’t imagine that there’d be a facility to change multiple type layers in PS 7 and in PS CS2, but that it was removed for one version, and then returned in the next.

Have you tried resetting your preferences?
E
editgrrl
Dec 4, 2008
I did link them.
E
editgrrl
Dec 4, 2008
I"m glad this isn’t as basic a question as I thought. It’s such an obvious thing, I felt like a bonehead for even asking.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
what are you trying to do?

edit type in all the layers at once or change all the styles at once?

if the latter follow my direction in post 18

you can’t edit all type layers at the same time.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
EditGrrl…

Unless they left out the ability to change multiple text layers just for PS CS(1)—which I doubt—then I have to wonder if you’re leaving something out of your description of what you’re doing or trying.

Try creating an entirely new document, add a couple generic text layers, and try again. Explain exactly the steps you go through, and the results (or lack of results).
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 4, 2008
highlight all the other layers you want to change and paste the style.

You can’t do this in CS. Maybe linking works? I couldn’t get the shift-link trick to work in CS or CS3.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 4, 2008
I couldn’t get any method to work in CS, hence my advice to upgrade.

(Not just for this feature either!)
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
J is correct the layers need to be linked in CS

then you use the paste to linked command
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
CS2 was the first version you could select more than one layer.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
"then you use the paste to linked command"

????

For Layer Styles, maybe. Not for Character attributes. And I thought we established she wants to change Character attributes.

????
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 4, 2008
I’m glad you said that – I was thinking I’d missed something.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2008
Not for Character attributes

sorry I missed that.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
Here’s the bottom line, AFAICT:

It HAS to be possible. Adobe would NOT remove the possibility for one version, then put it back in.

Soooo…
Either:

• There’s more to the workflow that we haven’t heard about yet, or… • EditGrrl’s Photoshop prefs have become corrupted in some way that’s preventing the multi-edit, or…
• She just ain’t doin’ it right! 🙂

I’m still waiting for answers about the prefs question and about trying with a new document, as I asked.
E
editgrrl
Dec 5, 2008
So far, the actions palette appears to be the best options. I created an action that changed the text and the color, but have to run it on each individual layer.
It appears that Image Ready will let you select and change multiple layers, but my doc is too large for it.

As to the other steps…

trashed the plist folder for pshop.
Created text layers, linked them, selected text tool, selected text, changed color. It only changed one layer.
Tried to shift click to select multiple layers, it would npt let me/. Cannot find a smart object command .
M
Mylenium
Dec 5, 2008
Mmh, not sure, but have you looked ad Fireworks for this kind of work? It was designed for this kind of website template thingy… Also, what strikes me as a bit odd, is why you would even bother doing your lists in PS. There’s a million ways of doing this in HTML with CSS formatting and even your graphics could be included and replaced dynamically…

Mylenium
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
Nobody ever reads post #4. B)
E
editgrrl
Dec 5, 2008
I’m not actually building the web page itself, just doing the design part. I’m not a web designer and also, don’t have fireworks (or the money to buy it). So that’s why I’m doing it in Photoshop. Then the person building the page is going to import the layers into Fireworks.

I don’t agree that Photoshop is the wrong place to be doing what I’m doing, although I could be wrong. However, it’s what I have.

As far as Adobe,

The comments about PS not being a typesetting program are true but I
don’t think putting text on buttons requires any degree of typographic sophistication! <<<<

I agree.
Clearly Photoshop is a complex program and If they are going to put type ability into it, they should make it simple and intuitive to change layers at once. It’s just common sense. I’m thinking someone was asleep at the wheel on this one when it comes to usability. Frankly, I’m baffled. Especially since this is a program where it is common to do what I am doing and that involves some degree of limited text on multiple layers. Not to complain, I love Adobe. But this is ridiculous. Fortunately from what you guys are saying, they’ve changed this issue in the more current versions.

Well I guess I’ll go with the Actions command to change each individual layer, or see if I can get the file size down and get it into Image Ready.

Thanks everyone!! If you have a middle of the night revelation of something we’ve all missed please come back and post it! I am still finding it hard to believe there’s not a simpler solution.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2008
trashed the plist folder for pshop.

Did you reset the text tool? (from the flyout menu on the left side of the option bar) Did you delete photoshop’s preferences exactly as described in the FAQ? (Shift+Option+Control at boot) or is it what you mean by deleting the plist folder.

Created text layers, linked them, selected text tool, selected text, changed color. It only changed one layer.

Did you Click on the color box in the option bar, click on the color you want, Shift+Click on "OK"?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 5, 2008
Can anyone else confirm or refute my conclusion that it can’t be done in CS? I tried again and failed (but it’s been a long time since I used CS).
P
Phosphor
Dec 5, 2008
That’s exactly what I want to know, J.J.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2008
Sorry, got 7 (works with layers linking, and shift+clicking the color widget on the option bar (no need to hold for OK), or selecting a type setting) CS2 (works with MLS, without shift) CS3 (works like CS2) and I think it works in CS4.

Maybe no one noticed it got broken, then it was fixed in the next release (thanks to the layers linking)

I thought that Shapes behaved that way too, but it is not the case, and furthermore, it changed between 7 and CS2/CS3: in 7, I can select a shape layer, and update its color with the color selection widget in the option bar, while in CS3, it will only change the color of furute shapes. (That say, if we use Styles, Smart Objects, or both, we can update the color of several shape layers, but still it might warrant a features request -be able to change multiple shape layers at once-.)
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2008
Correction: post 37 should read:

Did you Shift+Click on the color box in the option bar, then Click on the color you want in the select type color box, Click on "OK"

The important point in the old versions, was, after linking type layers, to hold Shift while you select a type attribute, or you when you click on the "set the text color" button area of the option bar, or character palette.
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 5, 2008
Works for me in 7 and CS as PEC describes.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 5, 2008
Hey, PEC, that’s exactly what I said 700 posts ago! Thanks for confirming J Maloney. I couldn’t remember if this Shift-click fields after linking layers actually worked CS. I was 2 when CS came out.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2008
Doug, yes, indeed, but I wrote it wrong in post 37.
We still need to know if she properly reset the tools, or deleted preferences.

There is no need to hold shift in CS2 and after, if the layers are multi-selected.

I was 2 when CS came out.

Wow! you are 8 years old????
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 5, 2008
Yes.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 5, 2008
+
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
+ …a bunch, I’m sure. 😉
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
No one ask the next question…please.

THAT would risk closing down this topic! <lol>

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2008
Years, of course, Neil. Years.
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2008
Heh! Neil pulled his post right out from under me!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Sorry, Ramón. I quickly deleted my post directly before yours. So now, it appears that you’re just reading my mind, Johnny Carson’s Karnac style. <lol>

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
It appears that only you and I know what’s going on for the moment!

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 6, 2008
I’ll have to remember that next time someone asks my age.

yes +

the other day I was asked for my ID when I ordered a beer in a Thi restaurant. I think the waitress had bad eyesight.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 6, 2008
Buko,

You can always look forward to being proofed when you try to get the senior discount at the local cinema.

Neil
E
editgrrl
Dec 6, 2008
Early Bird! Ya Baby!
E
editgrrl
Dec 6, 2008
I’ll post back regarding the other things shortly. =)
E
editgrrl
Dec 8, 2008
It worked!

The important point in the old versions, was, after linking type layers,
to hold Shift while you select a type attribute (like bold, italic…) , or when you click on the "set the text color" button of the option bar, or of the character palette. <<<

I guess I did it improperly when it was mentioned before.

When I actually held down shift before and while selecting the attribute I wanted to change (in this case the color in the option bar on the top of the screen), all linked layers changed accordingly.

WooHoo!
Thanks guys.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 8, 2008
You are welcome! (on behalf of all the posters who provided the correct answer 😀 )
E
editgrrl
Dec 8, 2008
=)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections