Text disappears while typing/editing in Photoshop CS (8)!

LR
Posted By
Linda_Richards
Apr 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded to version 8 (CS) to solve another problem, and now whenever I type new text or edit existing text, I can’t see what I’m typing because the cursor is 1 character away from where it really is. For instance in that last sentence, when I was typing the last word "is" after typing the "s" I wouldn’t see it until I click off the Type tool onto another tool. That makes it very hard to edit type! If I go in to change a word or letter, or remove an extra letter, I can’t see what I’ve just removed until I click off it. Changing the zoom while in text mode sometimes helps and sometimes not. It really slows me down, and causes errors unless I check very carefully after typing. Sometimes I’ve accidentally deleted a space between words because I couldn’t see it right.

I just bought a very expensive Windows XP system a month ago, and sprung an extra $500 for a Matrox Parhelia 256MB dual-head video card to make sure I would have excellent color and speed. My 2 monitors are Samsung LCD SyncMaster (one is 213T, other is 173T) but mostly I use the 213T for Photoshop work with the tool palettes on the smaller monitor.

Any ideas why text would be such a problem? I thought it might be because I use a lot of templates I set up in Photoshop 6 and when I open them I update the text but thought that could be the issue. But I see now that even a brand new file can’t keep up with showing me what I’m typing and I’m not that fast! I’m a graphic designer and use Photoshop a lot every day, so need it productive. Thanks —-Linda

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CH
Calvin_Hass
Apr 27, 2004
I have encountered the same problem, so it probably has nothing to do with your hardware or system.

A little frustrating, but nothing I can’t work around.

Cal.
CC
Conrad_Chu
May 9, 2004
Have the some problem as well … no idea how to fix.
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2004
sounds like a display driver problem.
S
Siriunson
May 10, 2004
I’m having the same problem here. I’m working on a G4 Powerbook running OSX 10.2.8 for reference and not experiencing display problems in any of my other apps.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 10, 2004
We experience the same problem on our PC’s, (P4 1Gb memory) with PS7, under XP. The type refresh is sssslllloooowwwww… maybe is it because of opentype?
LR
Linda_Richards
May 10, 2004
Wow – so I’m not alone! I have been on the phone for hours with Adobe Tech Support 3 times about this issue now… the first guy had me delete the Preferences file and that solved it. He said it got corrupted. Then 2 days later, the text problem reoccurred, so I called again. Same guy walked me lots of things and wanted me to update the driver for my Samsung 21" monitor but I couldn’t download it, so he told me to call back when I resolved that. Once I finally got that driver installed, it didn’t fix the PS problem so I called back and got a different guy. Once we deleted the Preferences again, it was solved, but I said I can’t be doing that every 2 days!

He feels it’s a bigger problem, because my Quark Preferences got corrupted by installing a service pack for MS Office, or maybe it’s the Matrox Parhelia video card being too new for the programs to be in tune with. I guess I’ll call Matrox… but it’s interesting that others are experience this, too, and I doubt you all have this card.

I have a new Photoshop oddity now, the view suddenly zooms when I’m not even touching the mouse or keyboard! Do any of you have that too?
N
norm
May 10, 2004
Linda, if you are using PSCS, do you have the navigator palette up when using the text? I have read that text slows down when that particular palette is open. I don’t know why it would matter but some think it does. If it is open, try closing it and see if things change. I keep it closed all the time now and have learned to use the F8 key when I want it up.

wrote in message
Wow – so I’m not alone! I have been on the phone for hours with Adobe Tech
Support 3 times about this issue now… the first guy had me delete the Preferences file and that solved it. He said it got corrupted. Then 2 days later, the text problem reoccurred, so I called again. Same guy walked me lots of things and wanted me to update the driver for my Samsung 21" monitor but I couldn’t download it, so he told me to call back when I resolved that. Once I finally got that driver installed, it didn’t fix the PS problem so I called back and got a different guy. Once we deleted the Preferences again, it was solved, but I said I can’t be doing that every 2 days!
He feels it’s a bigger problem, because my Quark Preferences got corrupted
by installing a service pack for MS Office, or maybe it’s the Matrox Parhelia video card being too new for the programs to be in tune with. I guess I’ll call Matrox… but it’s interesting that others are experience this, too, and I doubt you all have this card.
I have a new Photoshop oddity now, the view suddenly zooms when I’m not
even touching the mouse or keyboard! Do any of you have that too?
May 11, 2004
Just had the same text problem here.
Using tiny font (6pt)on A5 @ 400ppi, viewing at 33.3%, went to edit a couple letters, only one out of two edits showed.
Enlarged view to 100% while text tool still active, there it was. Don’t normally use font that small, so probably why only just noticed the problem. Tried to repeat problem, proven to be temperamental.
LM
Loren_Montgomery
May 13, 2004
I have the same problem Linda has. Is there any one out there that can help? Adobe your letting us down. I paid alot of money for this program and I would like to us it. Thanks Loren
May 13, 2004
Just happened again to me, this time with 30pt font on A4 400ppi, viewing 25%. Again, increased view to 100% while text still active, everything reappeared.

Only thing changed as far as I’m aware is W2K updated with latest patches.

Using Matrox G550.
Hmmmm…maybe time to update the Matrox drivers.
RP
Robert_Paup
May 15, 2004
I have the same problem with dual Xeon config under win2K using ATI Radeon VE. Everyone seems to have a different config. Don’t you have this problem at Adobe?
LR
Linda_Richards
May 17, 2004
I called Adobe Tech Support for the 3rd time on this (Friday) to ask them to look at this posting and all the different situations that people are experiencing this phenomenon, but they still think it is either a video problem or a memory leak. So I downloaded & installed a newer driver for my brand new Matrox Parhelia card and I still get the text problem. But it mostly seems to be when I am not at 100% zoom. Typing text always at 100% when it is large text on a large (poster-size) document is not always convenient, but I guess if it helps, I’ll do it.

Other things they suggested are: font mgmt. (don’t have too many installed), clear tmp files, eliminate items from your startup menu, restart the computer to clear the cache, and run defrag.

I still think it’s a bug, but if they can’t recreate it there, and people don’t call in to tech support so they have it on record, they just try to solve it on a case-by-case, with individual configurations looking for the incompatibilities.

—-Linda
GW
Gerry_Wallace
May 18, 2004
Finally, others are having the same problem I did. I found out if you have the "info" palette selected(opened) that the text tool will not function properly. Either close the pallette or switch to another palette. Haven’t had the problem since. I discovered this by resetting my saved palette layout. Each time it fixed the problem, but would return, not knowing I was switching to "info". My saved layout had "navigation" selectd. Hope this helps, sure made my days easier.
LR
Linda_Richards
May 18, 2004
Wow! You are right! I just tried closing the info palette and adding text to the same document’s text box and it worked prefectly — even at 16.7% zoom level! This surely *is* a bug, then. I will call Adobe back and tell them it really is a bug. Thank you, thank you! I’m so glad it isn’t my video card! —-Linda
May 19, 2004
Yep, same thing here.
Ensure Info palette is not selected, typing seems to be OK.
MN
Michael_Niedringhaus
Jul 13, 2004
I’ve had the SAME problem for months and never even noticed that my info palette was open. These forums are great. I sure hope Adobe reads these threads so they correct that bug. I’m sure there are MANY who are just as bothered by that problem as I was, but don’t know how to correct it. Thanks guys!!
LR
Linda_Richards
Jul 13, 2004
I did call Adobe back to tell them how the problem was solved and that it was a bug after all (and not just MY system). I said "I’ll tell you how to recreate it — just have the info palette open while working with text". But guess what! The guy could not recreate it!! It didn’t happen to him! He said he’d have others try it on other machines with other video cards & LCD monitors because he was on a CRT. Don’t know what happened after that.

Just out of curiousity — are you using an LCD or CRT monitor, Michael. And what video card?

Yes — the forums ARE great! ——– Linda
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 13, 2004
I can’t recreate it…
KK
Ked_Kraich
Jul 27, 2004
This has plaqued me so much in the past few days that I took time out of a busy week to find a solution. I tried the palette idea, but to no avail. The file I’m working on is only 10 or so layers and only 40 MB. I’ve edited text faster on 70 inch images! I closed nav/info pallette completely (I cant remember using it-ever). But it still didn’t help. I’ll edit text and SLOWLY it refreshes. Almost impossible to work. I’m at a xeon 2.4 with 1Gig of Ram, Windows XP PS7 with updates and a NVIDIA Quadro 4 900xgl card. I should not be having slowdown issues in Photoshop. Thanks for all the attempts and keeping this topic active.
KK
Ked_Kraich
Jul 27, 2004
UPDATE:

I did notice that this document has the text on an arc path and that when that is there, the slowdown is tremendous. When I used simple text even with an effect left on the results were good and the text refreshed very quickly. Honestly though, my machine should be tearing through that stuff. I know it’s not "top-of-the-line", but it’s more than enough to wrangle text. Is there a way to get the little info box at the bottom left to say "sucking wind" instead of "rendering type". I’m sick of seeing it…Thanks for the notes.
F
Fotoeros
Jul 27, 2004
I have been having the same problem since Photosop 7 came out and CS is no better.

It isn’t the monitor I have tried philips and samsung and has not made any difference. I have a AMD Athlon XP 1600+, ASUS A7A266,ALi-MAGIK1,
MSI GeForce2 Titanium PRO-VT.
At work we have 2 different computers and they all do the same thing.

I can’t believe it is a hardware problem when it makes no difference what computer your using as it happens on all that I have tried.
And beside I don’t have any problem with any other program that writes text only photoshop has the problem.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections