BF
Posted By
brent_f_smith
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all, any input would be greatly appretiated!
ive been using PS for awhile for things like balancing my digital photos scans, but rescently ive been trying to expand to doing some more advanced things for some web graphics im working on. But i seem to not beable to get a feel for how the layers work. Where im really lost is when im working in new layers that i make, and that i cant seem to stroke selected rectangles that arent on the base (background) layer. say i place a rounded rectangle on a rew layer, and i want to add a border to it, i read tutorials saying i should use the stroke function but it is greyed out and unavailable unless i flatten the layers. the same type of problem i am having trying to use the gradient tool on that selected area of that new layer, i get a error box "Could not use gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable". I have tried reading online tutorials and the provided adobe help documents, but i just seem to be missing something. any help would be great! if anyone needs for information I will be happy to provide it
brent smith ()
PS- i figured out howto resaturize layers and now appear to be able to use gradient tool, but i still cant figure out howto give a rounded rectangle a border, i can now stroke a selected rectangle but it doesnt work to give the rounded corners a "hugging border". 🙁

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 17, 2004
copy the background layer into a new layer, then work on that. The background layer is locked.
W
wes
Feb 17, 2004
Brent, if you used the rectangle shape tool to draw your rectangle with, go to the paths palette, click on the small triangle in the upper right corner of the palette and stroke from there. Sounds like you might be working on a path instead of a selection.

wrote in message
copy the background layer into a new layer, then work on that. The
background layer is locked.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 17, 2004
Brent,

Having created your shape, go to the paths palette, hit the little flyout arrow and select Stroke Path from there

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections