Posted By
John_Blaustein
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi…

I’ve created a CS file that consists of several images and many type elements. Each image and type element is on a separate layer. The file is 11×17" at 360 ppi.

You can see the page here:
<http://www.johnblaustein.com/cs.htm>

I have a few questions:

For each of the five photographs, I created a separate file. In each image file, I added several adjustment layers to correct the color — I did this by clicking the Create New Layer or Adjustment Layer Icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette — I did not use the Layer Menu. I renamed the background layer (the image) to "Image." Then, I linked all the layers and created a new layer set which I named so I could identify which set is which. I found that if I didn’t rename the background layer, I could not include it in the layer set.

I then cropped the three horizontal images (not the sheep or the cover image) to the size I wanted them in my composite. I cropped the sheep and cover to the approximate size in the final composite.

I then dragged each of the layer sets from the individual files to my composite. I resized the sheep using Free Transform. I resized and rotated the cover using Free Transform.

Everything worked fine, except one thing: All of the adjustment layers from each of the five layer sets effected all the layers below once I dragged them onto the composite. I ended up going back to each individual file and flattening them before dragging onto the composite. This worked, but I was hoping to be able to re-adjust each image from within the composite should it become necessary.

Is there a way I could have kept all of the adjustment layers for each individual image on the composite so that the corresponding adjustment layer only worked on its own image? I know that I can create a new adjustment layer to change just one of the image components on the composite by using Layer>New Adjustment Layer and clicking Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask. (As noted above, I created the adjustment layers in the individual image files by clicking the Create New Layer or Adjustment Layer Icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette — I did not use the Layer Menu. Perhaps that was my mistake.)

About Free Transform: To get the cover image just the way I wanted it, I had to play around with the size — making it larger, smaller, larger again. If, after making it smaller, I then make it larger, is data lost that will effect the final image quality? The changes are all in the 1/4" to 1/2" range on this page.

Thanks for any help here!

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
d._wade_thompson
Jan 6, 2004
When you create a new layer set the default blending mode is "pass through", allowing all adjustment layers to pass through the set to all layers under it. change the blending mode to normal and your adjustment layers will only affect the layers under it in that set.

wade
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 6, 2004
<nodding>. Wade beat me to it.
JB
John_Blaustein
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks a million, Wade! That’s just what I needed to know. (I could ask why the default is pass through, but I won’t.)

John
D
d._wade_thompson
Jan 6, 2004
Your welcome John, i have no idea why it’s pass through.

Not only did i get the answer right but i beat YrbkMgr to it… my life is now complete. lol

wade
JB
John_Blaustein
Jan 6, 2004
Let’s see which one of you can answer my Free Transform question first!

I notice that if I drag a layer set (Mode: Normal) to my composite and then click Ctrl+T for Free Transform, the bounding box (if that’s what it’s called) is way larger than the image. However, if I flatten the image — so I don’t have a layer set — then the bounding box just matches the size of the image. Any idea what this is about?

John
D
d._wade_thompson
Jan 6, 2004
If you have an adjustment layer in your set if covers more area than just the image(s) you have in your set. When you drag a layer set into a new image it defaults to the upper left corner of the canvas. if you free transform from there your bounding box will only cover the area of your layer set at that point. but if you move your layer set from the upper left corner then your free transorm will cover all the area up to the upper left corner. you can free transform an individaul layer in your layer set and keep the bounding box to that layer without having to flatten the set and if you link layers together you can free transform multiple layers.

wade
JB
John_Blaustein
Jan 6, 2004
Again, Wade, thank you! I’m cutting and pasting your message into my PS Notes file. It all makes so much sense when you understand the "rules" PS follows.

This was a great help to me… once again Thanks So Much! And to YrbkMgr as well!

John
J
joevan
Jan 6, 2004
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:27:03 -0800,
wrote:

When you create a new layer set the default blending mode is "pass through", allowing all adjustment layers to pass through the set to all layers under it. change the blending mode to normal and your adjustment layers will only affect the layers under it in that set.

wade
Word wrap. Please.
D
d._wade_thompson
Jan 6, 2004
Glad it helped, its really nice when someone lets you know something worked for them.

wade

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections