Posted By
david_pullum
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I recently took some photos of a hotel for a brochure.

Unfortunately the hotel is not that photogenic!!!! The rooms are bland and the photos have reflected that.

Is there a way in Elements to add a warm glow to the pictures, just to make them look a bit more inviting?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 8, 2004
David,

Go to Variations, set the slider to its lowest setting and add a combination of yellow and red. Do this on a layer and adjust the opacity of the layer to the desired amount.

Leen
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 8, 2004
Leen,

I went to Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Color Variations, but the only color adjustments are red, green, & blue (not yellow). Also, which of the 4 radio buttons would you click in this case: midtones, shadows, highlights, saturation?

Mark
DP
david_pullum
Jun 8, 2004
many thanks

As I’m a beginner any chance you can explain the layer bit step by step?
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 8, 2004
David,
There are several ways to do this. One that I have found useful is to apply a gradient.
1. Open image
2. Bring down layers palette from the well
3. Click on triangle upper right, click on duplicate layer, shut off visibility to background layer by clicking on the eyeball
4. Open a new (blank) layer at top of stack, Go to edit>fill – use:50% gray
5. Now you can only see gray, so change the blending mode to hard light
6. Select the gradient tool and apply a gradient – perhaps the orange.yellow.orange.Do this by holding down the shift key while pressing the mouse from the bottom to halfway up, or perhaps all the way up, if you use the linear gradient.
7. Experiment. For example, you may want to alter the opacity of the layer or use a different color gradient. If you have trouble, please feel free to repost.
Ken
CR
Chris_Rankin
Jun 8, 2004
You could also add a little blur to the layer to give it a soft focus effect. I would select around your focal point with a feather of about 50, go to select>inverse then apply either blur or gausssian blur from the filters menu. Use a small setting
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 8, 2004
I’m sorry, but I just had to laugh at this post. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought to myself, "Gee, this place doesn’t look AT ALL like the brochure!" 🙂
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 8, 2004
You could try adding a simulation of the Tiffen #812 Warming filter, which is very pale peachy-apricot transparent filter one would add to their camera lens. Add a new layer above the photo and fill with this RGB combination: R-255/G-225/B-196. Use one of these blending modes: Multiply, Overlay or Soft Light. Reduce opacity of this fill layer to get the effect you want.

You could also use this in combination with a softening effect. Use Chris’ softening effect or try several applications of the Soft Focus action on the Effects palette.

Patti
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 8, 2004
TOUCHE
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 8, 2004
One of the new features in Photoshop CS is a selection of different photo filters. As I recall, there are two warming filters and two cooling filters plus a number of others. And photo filters can be included as an adjustment layer. Hopefully, if Adobe ever decides to release a new version of Photoshop Elements, these photo filters will be one of the new features. I’m just hoping. I have absolutely no information about anything Adobe might be planning.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 8, 2004
Actually…I think it’s kind of fun to try and get the effect of these photo filters in Elements now. Am I weird or what?? You can use my makeshift Tiffen 812 RGB colors in a Sold Color adjustment layer. You can also use the colors to create a gradient and use a Gradient adjustment layer. Save your new color swatches and gradients so you can use them again.

I can’t justify buying the full Photoshop version right now, so I try to make do. 😉 Although…I do have a lot of the extra add-ons (Hidden Elements, Snap Actions, etc.). The two things I would like to see most in a new version of Elements are Curves and Channel Mixer.

Patti
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 8, 2004
Mark,

"…but the only color adjustments are red, green, & blue (not yellow)…."

Pretty simple, blue is the complementary colour of yellow, so substraction of blue is like adding yellow.
I apologise I didnot check it, but as I have been used to colour printing I didnot notice yellow wasn’t there. This works for all three colours; you can add the complementary colour by diminishing the opposite.

Usually I prefer the "midtones", but sometimes some experimenting will deliver surprising results. 😉

Leen
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 8, 2004
Patti,

I agree with you that it is fun to "push" Photoshop Elements and see how far we can go to get the effect that we are looking for. In fact, I have been having some fun with Elements this morning. I guess I am rather spoiled, though. My wife is responsible for helping to create booklets and brochures so her office decided to purchase Photoshop CS. We both work at a University, so her department purchased the entire suite for an incredibly low price. The license indicated that it could be installed on two computers. So since I quite often help them prepare pictures for their brochures, I was able to legally install CS on my computer at home. I really like using it, but I still enjoy working with Photoshop Elements.

Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections