Posted By
Mike McBride
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’ve got about 1000 images of various dimensions that need to have a logo superimposed over them. I could do it in Layer’s one at a time, but, of course, that would take too long. So, I’ll use Batch.

But how do I get the logo to move to a specific location over each image when the images are all different sizes and orientations?

This must be very easy or very hard, as I’ve found no instructions for it in the manual or in several PS books.

Has anyone here done this?

Thanks in advance!
Mike McBride
Director, Digital Services
Universal Color Slide
Sarasota, FL
941-966-3632

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Carl_Stawicki
May 21, 2004
Link and Align the logo with the background layer as part of the Action you’re using. You can put the logo in the lower-left corner, for instance. It will be in the same position on all files, regardless of the different sizes. One note, if you’re aligning the logo to one or more of the edges, it’s a good idea to nudge it away from the edge(s) with the Move tool and Arrow keys, so it’s not sitting directly on the edge(s). The nudging can be recorded into the Action, as well.

Carl.
MM
Mike McBride
May 21, 2004
Hi Carl,
Thanks for replying. So, if I understand you correctly, if, while recording the Action, if I import the logo and align it to say the lower left-hand corner of an image, then when I run the action on a batch of images, the logo will orient itself properly, regarless of the size or orientation of each image?

Mike
CS
Carl_Stawicki
May 21, 2004
Yup. If you align the logo with the background layer, you’re using the canvas of the image, but, the actual canvas dimensions and orientation don’t actually get "hard-coded" into the Action, so the aligning is independent of those two factors.

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you want to nudge the logo, be sure to unlink it from the background first.

Carl.
MM
Mike McBride
May 21, 2004
Great! Thanks Carl. That’s exactly what I needed. I love these forums.

Best regards,
Mike
MM
Mike McBride
May 21, 2004
Carl,
I think I’m doing something wrong. When I run the new Action, the logo aligns properly only on the first image (the image I used when recording the Action). On all other images, the logo does not align with the corner correctly, and in some cases, is off the canvas entirely. Here’s the Action I’m trying to create:

Steps:

1. Start recording
2. Open Image
3. Select Text Tool
4. Click on Image to create a Text Layer. Type UCS (logo)
5. Assign Blend Options to Text Layer
6. Align Logo in Lower Right-Hand corner
7. Link Text Layer with Background
8. Convert ICC Profile from AdobeRGB to sRGB with Flatten selected
9. Convert image from 5600dpi to 72dpi with Resample turned OFF
10. Set Fit Image to 240×240
11. Save as JPEG to new folder
12. Close image
13. Stop recording

Did I leave out a step? Thanks for your help,

Mike
J
jonf
May 21, 2004
As far as I ever learned, PS can only record actions that can be accomplished through menu commands. Has this changed since I learned actions? In other words, you could paste the logo, but you couldn’t drag it or nudge it and have that become part of the Action. How is Carl "aligning it" to the edge? (I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I have no idea how. Maybe this needs more explanation for us non power-users).
J
jonf
May 21, 2004
Unless I’m misunderstanding though, all your images will end up being 240×240 pixels in the end? Why not resize each document to 240×240 pixels first, then paste in a 240x240px image containing your logo in the correct location? You’ll need to add another step or two to get get rid of any opaque pixels outside of your logo, but that would be easy to automate.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
May 22, 2004
Sorry guys. ;0P

Try this, starting after #5:

6. Select Background layer
7. Link Background layer with Logo layer
8. Choose the menu item: Layer >> Align Linked >> Bottom Edges
9. Choose the menu item: Layer >> Align Linked >> Right Edges

Right now, the logo with be sitting directly on the bottom-right corner, so if you want to get it off the edge, then…

10. Unlink layers
11. Select Logo layer
12. Select the Move tool, and with the Arrow keys, nudge the Logo up, and to the left. (The nudge will be recorded as ‘Move current layer’, with the distance you moved it).
13. Convert to sRGB
14..15…16..etc…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 22, 2004
Mike,

Trash the Open command (or override it in the Batch dialog). Usually it’s better to record an action on an already open document.

jonf,

It is not correct that actions can only be recorded with menu commands. You can indeed nudge and drag. I almost always use key commands when recording actions.

Your idea of resizing first is sensible.
MM
Mike McBride
May 22, 2004
Thanks Carl. I’ll try your new instructions.

Jon, the "Fit Image" commmand under File/Batch let’s you set X and Y "maximum" size parameters when batch resizing. You use it when you need to resize images, but not change their shape. It’s great for resizing batches of images while retaining their original aspect ratios. I use it when batch creating thumbs of images.

Ed, thanks for the advice. I override the command in Batch, but left it in the script. I hadn’t thought about just deleting it all together.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Mike
MM
Mike McBride
May 23, 2004
Hey Çarl!
The revised instructions work perfectly. Thanks very much!

Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections