WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A friend of mine is interested in getting a Mac G5 but can’t decide if it would be better to get a G5 with a 20 inch screen OR a G5 with two 17" screens …. price of both set ups seems to be similar.

Would really appreciate some views ….

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 4, 2004
Are they cinema displays or Formacs or something equivalent? If not, I’d rather have one medium sized one of those than even two giant lesser monitors.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 4, 2004
Wendy

I ran with two monitors for a while and found them to be like the little girl with the little curl. If I was using two separate programs like Elements and Home (web development) it was a real joy having each of them on there own screen. When it came to using Elements on two screen and having the tools on one screen and the work area on another it was a pain in the
a… never mind! Dragging tool from one screen to the next just wasn’t
something I could get use to. The bottom line will be, how does your friend plan on using their computer?

Why don’t I have two monitors now? Well I was testing an extra monitor and it did have to go back and I couldn’t see enough of an advantage in buying a second monitor.

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 4, 2004
Wendy,

Personal preference only: Two 17’s. No real reason, I just like dual monitor set-ups. Plus with two 17’s he/she get’s more screen real estate I think.

BTW, there are rumors <http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/06/20040604142722.shtml> making the rounds of Mac sites that the iMac is getting a G5 soon. As in possibly next week. If that’s the case, perhaps an iMac with a 20" screen might be in order?

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 4, 2004
Barbara, Grant & Joe …

He is still at the "considering all possibilities" stage yet and not even sure if a G5 is OTT for his needs. The only thing he uses Photoshop for is mild cropping and levels … so nothing that would stretch even a G4.

Thanks for your views, they are very useful I will pass them on.

Wendy
PS … now me I would have the G5 but just the one monitor 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 5, 2004
here are rumors making the rounds of Mac sites that the iMac is getting a G5 soon. As in possibly next week.

Dunno about that, Joe. I’d expect to see G5 pbooks before imacs.

Wendy, I wouldn’t get two monitors till he needs ’em. There’s always something newer and cheaper and better coming along, so why do that now if he can get by with one okay? One 22" cinema display should be enough for most people. 8)
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 5, 2004
Barb,

Well they are just rumors after all but Cnet’s < http://news.com.com/Apple+readying+new+Power+Macs%3F/2100-10 42_3-5226969.html?tag=cd.top> reporting PowerMac updates and the possible intro of G5 iMacs. Haven’t seen any rumors of G5 Powerbooks yet. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen just that I haven’t seen any rumors up to this point.

There is strong indication from a number of sites that something will be announced next week. Could be product updates but some are speculating that it’ll be iTunes Europe. My money’s on iTunes, but I’m ususally wrong about most things. 😉

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 5, 2004
Well, they are way behind schedule on the rest of the power mac G5 line, so that’s what I’d expect it to be. My guess would be that a redesign of the imac that major would debut at WWDC if there is something like that in the wings.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 5, 2004
I presume they need to solve the cooling problems before they get G5s into powerbooks – I heard that a G5 powerbook would need so many fans that it could double as a hover craft – an imac might be easier to fit with G5 chips, although the small base would give some of the same issues.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 5, 2004
Hi, Susan. Yes, I don’t think there’s much to choose between imacs an pbooks for available space, unless there’s been a huge redesign of the imac. The fan runs like mad in the current imac to keep that tight space cool with a G4.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 8, 2004
And the 9 fans of my DP G5 are running like hell when I use it extensively (ex: when rendering something in Bryce). I don’t see this issue being able to survive in the laptop world. On the desktop, that’s no problem. I can live with that.

And I’d go for a bigger screen, but only one. Like a 20" or 23" cinema display.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 9, 2004
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks Barbara
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 23, 2004
If your friend hasn’t already bought a new G5, a Merrill Lynch <http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/23/imac> analyst is predicting an updated, G5 iMac will be intro’d at WWDC next week. This is mainstream press of an industry analyst (as opposed to rumor sites) so I give it more credence. Still just a rumor though.

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks Joe … he still hasn’t bought one so I will pass on the info 🙂

Wendy
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 24, 2004
Ohh, oh…Think Secret <http://www.thinksecret.com/news/wwdc04apple.html> is putting the kibosh of G5 iMac prognostications. I guess we’ll just have to wait until next week to find out. 😉

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Oh no……. !!!!!! I know a few people waiting for a G5 based iMac. My friend being the first… I won’t tell him until next week, though… 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 28, 2004
No G5 iMacs! Tiger looks ok and if I were independently wealthy I’d buy me a new aluminum display. 😉

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 29, 2004
4700$ for a 30" LCD display… Sometimes, I feel Apple thinks we are actually printing money… 😉

(Canadian currency)

Tiger looks Ok, especially Dashboard.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 29, 2004
Ray, I still have some of that paper left over if ya need it. .. But ya can’t use your CS for that. Another home run for baby brother !

Anyways, let me know.

XD
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 29, 2004
Ray,

Have you tried konfabulator? <http://www.konfabulator.com> Dashboard looks to be a blatant rip of of Arlo Rose’s konfabulator which has been around since early 2003 (and it a pretty nifty app, I might add). I’m really a little disappointed with Apple for doing this. That’s something Microsloth would do. <ducks head and runs away>

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 29, 2004
Dashboard looks to be a blatant rip of of Arlo Rose’s konfabulator

Joe,

That was my first thought when I was previewing Tiger. "Hmmm, that looks familiar" But you know, there is other stuff I’ve recogized in Mac OS that I’ve seen before as shareware programs.

Didn’t the original Finder in OS X look a lot like Greg’s Browser?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 29, 2004
Mark,

Didn’t the original Finder in OS X look a lot like Greg’s Browser

I don’t know about that. I think that’s a bit of a stretch. 😉 You’re right though. I’ve notices third party stuff getting copied/incorporated into the OS over the years, but in the past Apple was more discreet IMO. All they’re doing with Dashboard (and do you remember Watson, aka Sherlock?) is alienating developers. Throw a few million bucks at em and buy them out for crying out loud!

Job’s even calls the widgets, widgets! At least he could’ve pretended Dashboard was different from Konfab. Maybe call the widgets gadgets or something.

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 29, 2004
Yeah, thanks Jodi 😉
I don’t think I will be printing money soon… It’s kind of not in my portfolio… (hahaha!)

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 29, 2004
I agree with you Joe, it does bare a striking resemblance with Dashboard (or is that the opposite..? You know what I mean…)

I don’t think, however, I’ll make the move just for that utility (neither will I buy it stand alone). This is too gadget for me (listen to me… Months ago I would have installed this in a wink!). Neither am I tempted to get Tiger for now. Until I see a demo, perhaps then…

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jul 15, 2004
Wendy,

It’s been confirmed that the new iMac’s will be running G5’s. If your friend hasn’t already bought a Mac the new iMac’s are supposed to be available in September.

They would have been available already but due to manufacturing problems in IBM’s G5 plant they won’t be ready until September.

<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/14/imacg5>

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 16, 2004
Thanks Joe … he hasn’t bought it yet so I will pass the message on

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections