Posted By
Paul_McCain
Dec 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings all,

I’ve been poking around here trying to find a topic that matches my question and have not had much luck. Here is my situation.

I’m back into photography after many years and, of course, am coming from the traditional film and darkroom days and now find myself drinking from a fire hose trying to master digital photography.

I want to use Photoshop but would appreciate some advice on how best to learn it? Can you folks recommend what you consider the best books for a total neophyte to Photoshop to use to learn the fundamentals?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Paul McCain
Saint Louis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 31, 2008
For books:

I suggest starting with "Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book" and actually working the exercises through diligently.

Then devour "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4" from cover to cover.

As a photographer, you will also want to get "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4".

Also, look at the online tutorials from Lynda.com.
PM
Paul_McCain
Dec 31, 2008
Many thanks, Ann, for the quick response.
P
Phosphor
Dec 31, 2008
You may find the following thread helpful.

Some folks seem to think my reply was a pretty good.

I dunno, though. I think it needs a dash of hot sauce, and a spritz of lime juice.

Give it a try anyway:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b503f7>

🙂
PM
Paul_McCain
Dec 31, 2008
Definitely agree with you about bacon.

Thanks, "Dots" for the reply!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 31, 2008
Phos’s "Recipe" really deserves to be added to the FAQs or Quick Clicks at the top of the page.

It’s far too good to be allowed to disappear into oblivion!
P
Phosphor
Dec 31, 2008
I was surpised to see that was from back in April. Glad I have it bookmarked, and archived in on my hard drive.

If it ever would be considered for an addition to the FAQs, I hope someone asks me first, because there are a few things I’d like to add and clarify before it gets all sticky.

🙂
L
Lundberg02
Dec 31, 2008
And it’s free! Just pay shipping and handling.
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
Agreed about the value of Phsphor’s advice, which I’ve just read for the first time.

I was wondering how come I had never seen that post before, until I realized it’s on the other side.

It does belong at the top of the FAQs.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 1, 2009
Phos,

You’ve got a good spin on that. Thanks for taking the time. Can you post your edit in this topic, include a suggested title, and I’ll get it moved over to the FAQ section? I’m sure a lot of other folks starting out will find it very helpful.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 1, 2009
One thing you might really find of use are the online help in the form of video tutorials and Lynda.com
GB
g_ballard
Jan 1, 2009
don’t underestimate your local community college — one here offers FREE classes and they are well worth the time spent, IMO

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections