Posted By
vinayshah
Jul 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have an image that was modified for me into a logo. I only have the logo as a gif and jpeg and do not have the psd file. The logo is very small and I am trying to get some help to guide me how I can create a large version of the logo. If you feel that you can help, can you provide an email address so that I can email you the original file and the resulting logo. Any help you can provide in re-creating this logo would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

V
vinayshah
Jul 29, 2003
Thanks for the post.

The problem that I have got is that the jpg and gif logo image is at a very low resolution and blowing up the image makes it very pixelated. I am a beginner at using photoshop and was hoping for a guide to re-creating the logo from the original image that was used.

Apreciate a reply if poss.

Cheers

Vinay
P
Phosphor
Jul 29, 2003
"If you post the image on the web somewhere and then tell us the link, you may get better help, though. "

I’ve even heard stories of people actually redrawing logos for people in similar situations.
V
vinayshah
Jul 31, 2003
Thanks for the additional suggestions!
I have placed the two files (the original picture and the logo/navigation) at the following address on our development site:

<http://www.merlin-helps-students.com/adobe/adobehelp.htm>

Can you tell me how difficult it would be to re-create the logo with a transparent background in the same style as shown in the logo/nav bar. I am looking to recreate it the same size as the original artwork file, to then be able to use it in other areas of the site and in printed media.

Appreciate your continued help with this

Cheers

Vin
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 31, 2003
Vin,

There’s an easy part and a not so easy part. Here’s what *I* would do.

First run levels on this image to get rid of the grays, and darken up the blacks. Next, and this is optional, I would use Image|Apply Image and choose a blend mode of Multiply with opacity at 100% to really darken up the lines.

Next, I would want to get rid of the white background. You can use a magic wand, but I prefer to blend it out because in a minute, we’re going to convert a selection to a path. You’ll see.

So, duplicate the layer. Now you want to blend out the the white. Double click on the second layer’s Icon to bring up the blending dialog.

In the middle of the dialog, you’ll see Knockout. Set it to shallow. Next, there is a slide labeled This Layer. On the right, the pointer has a hairline split. Click and hold the ALT key, then grab that left part of the pointer, and drag it Left, so you are splitting the pointer apart. How much you split it depends on your eye. You are blending a range of whites, so that you end up with a reasonably crisp image, no white.

When you’re satisfied, accept the dialog, then create a new blank layer. Now Stamp the layer by holding down the Alt key and click (and hold) Layers|Merge Visible. This will stamp what is visible onto the new layer.

I do it this way so that if I’ve missed some white, I can delete that stamped layer and re-blend the other two if necessary.

So now, you should be ready to create a vector out of this. Ctrl-Click that stamped layer with the transparency. That will functionally select all the black.

In the paths pallet, click on the little triangle to make the flyout menu appear and choose Make WorkPath – you’ll get a dialog. I like to use 1.0 Pixel, although it defaults to 0.5 – your call.

Once you do that, double click on the Work Path in the Paths Pallet and rename it.

Now you have a vector representation of that raster drawing. You may need to use the pen tool to tighten it up. But from this point on, it should be downhill sailing….

Click on the Pen Tool (black filled pen) select the entire Merlin, then right click on him and create a custom stamp. Totally resizable…

Peace,
Tony
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 31, 2003
Bludvlz,

it would have taken me longer to type out instructions (though Tony’s are pretty good) than it would take me to just do the thing.

Damn right. It took me less than a minute to do, but about 8 minutes to type.
V
vinayshah
Jul 31, 2003
Guys,

I would like to say thank you for all of the responses and also the instructions provided. I think the speed and helpfulness is brilliant and think this forum really rocks.

Cheers

Vinay

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections