How can I save "animation frames" so they play in email?

CB
Posted By
Craig_Brenard
Nov 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created "animated frames" in PhotoShop CS3 Design Standard on Mac OS Leopard. The saved .gif works fine when dragged into an Internet browser for review (i.e. Mozilla Firefox). However, when I attach the "animated" .gif to an email…nothin’. No animation. When I email the animated .gif to myself, the animation does not play. However, I do see animated .gifs in emails that I receive, so it’s not a browser setting…either PhotoShop doesn’t do what I need, or more likely, I don’t know how to do it.

Has anyone tried this and can someone can tell me if PhotoShop animated frames can be used in email (as well as for the Internet). And if they can, what are the steps to make it work for email.

Thanks,
Craig

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Nov 19, 2008
Some e-mail programs allow you to include a Table and into that table you can put your animation or other web content.

In Thunderbird it’s under Insert>Table. Also look at Insert>Image.

Look in the Help section in your e-mail program.
CB
Craig_Brenard
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for the tip. I’m using a Mac G5, OS 10.5.5 Leopard, and using the Mac Mail email browser. The functionality you’re talking about doesn’t exist. Help didn’t have the answer either.

Any other ideas out there?

Craig
NT
Nini Tj
Nov 19, 2008
I’ve seen this question elsewhere very recently – don’t remember where though. Think we came to the conclusion that it is all dependent on how the animation is coded and how it is linked to. Dont remember the exact solution though, sorry. Or rather workaround.
CB
Craig_Brenard
Nov 20, 2008
Nini:

Thanks for the reply. Do you recall if you saw the issue recently somewhere here in the Adobe User-to-User Forum?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 20, 2008
As far as I know there was a rather capricious decision made by Apple to not let animated GIFs play in Mail.app. Admittedly some people have a tremendous dislike for them but as an occasional GIF maker I’d enjoy being able to view animations in Mail.app. In Tiger I was able to send animations from Windows and sometimes have them animate in Mail but not Leopard’s version of Mail.app.

Although it has never done any good yet (I’ve been sending in requests for animated GIFs since Panther) it can’t hurt to put in a request at…

<http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

For a while I was using Thunderbird because it allows you to view animations and it’s cross platform but I’m a Dot Mac member (now MobileMe) and Mail is needed to work properly with the sync functions.
NT
Nini Tj
Nov 20, 2008
The disussion I remember seeing was labeled "animation question in CS3" and was in the Mac Photoshop forum.
See <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?7@@.59b70033/2>
P
Phosphor
Nov 20, 2008
I would suggest using a different e-mail program.
M
Mylenium
Nov 22, 2008
Playback of GIF files is merely optional, as is any display of graphics in mail programs. The question is, whether the GIFs you see animated are really embedded in the mail or external links. In the latter case, they would be treated like in a browser and indeed correctly animate. For embedded graphics the story may be different and they may be disabled for safety reasons. Can’t give any specific pointers, though. I’m only using Safari occasionally and for everything else I’m sold on Firefox/ Thunderbird…

Mylenium

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections