MV
Posted By
Marsel_van_Oosten
Dec 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just created a file from LR2, by choosing ‘open as smart object’ in PS.

I then added a cloning layer and did my cloning.

When I wanted to save the file, instead of PS turning it in into a PSD with the same name, I now suddenly got the ‘save as’ pop up screen and ‘-2’ as the recommended name. The original folder where the file came from was not shown.

I don’t know what that’s all about, but I’d prefer it would just save the file as a PSD and automatically show the file alongside the NEF in LR2, like it does when I don’t use the ‘open as smart object’ feature. Is this typical for working with smart objects opened straight from LR2?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marsel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 12, 2008
Well, like this you open the file s a smart object, so if you want to now clone on a layer but want it to be a part of the smart object then you go to the layer panel and click on the smart object’s icon there to edit the smart object and you hit save (command S) and it will save with that layer to your original.

then when you click the tab or the window that has the original opened as smart object those changes will be reflected, but you will not see your cloned layer active as that is a part of the smart object and you have to open the smart object to get to it.

What you say! Yes that is what I say that is what a smart object is, you are using the smart object as a part of another document( that is why you are being asked to save as, as this new documents you can now make changes which will not effect the original which is the smart object unless you rasterize it which will make it no longer a smart object.

What good is a smart object, well there are many say you are using this document or image if you wish in say five projects and the image has been retouched and it is determined it should have some more work done to it all you have to do is retouch the smart object and all five projects are updated.

You see smart.

And of course you can d things to all five projects that can be different from one another on other layers without ever destroying the work you have done to the smart object.
MV
Marsel_van_Oosten
Dec 12, 2008
Thank you Wade.

So if I understand correctly, I can open a file from LR as a smart object in PS. I can then edit the smart object to add a cloning layer, do all my cloning, then hit save, and the smart object will have this cloning layer saved to it. I can then continue to work on the file, for instance by adding all kind of adjustment layers. Is this correct?

Before this, I just opened the image straight from LR in PS and cloned directly onto the image. I don’t want to do that anymore, because I have noticed that after a while I sometimes want to make adjustments to the original raw file, and I don’t want to have to start all over again with the cloning. Downside to using the smart object option for me is that it isn’t automatically saved next to the raw file in LR, like with the regular (non smart object) psd’s.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 12, 2008
That is the way to work and why smart objects were created. those extra adjustment layers of the inclusion of other smart objects will not effect the original file.

BTW I goofed on this a little bit for some reason I thought now you could use the same smart object in more then one document.

The smart object is saved along with the document you have opened it in the original is left untouched and can use again asa smart object in another document.

So the smart object is always with you unless you rasterize it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2008
Correct: the SO becomes an integral part of the document that contains it and does not make any changes to the original.

Neither do any changes that you may subsequently make to your original image change, or update, the preserved SO in the new file.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections