How do I save a black and white scanned photo as a jpg image?

D
Posted By
durrence-nospam
Jul 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am scanning some black and white photos with CS2 and when I do a "save as", jpeg or jpg do not show up as one of the formats I can save the picture as. If I scan a color photo I can save as a jpg. I even tried scanning the black and white photo as color and I still can’t save it as jpg. If I save it as a TIFF it is a 50 Mbit file. If I save as PDF it is still 13 MBit. I want to send it as an e-mail attachment and this is much too large.

How can I save a scanned black and white photo as a jpeg file?
G.M. Durrence
(to reply remove -nospam from address)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
Fred
Jul 24, 2006
I have tried scanning a b&w and could save as jpg. However if the Image/Mode is Bitmap or Duotone, JPG does not show up. You may need to convert to grayscale ot be sure you are scanning as grayscale. Only a guess, I’m no expert.

"G.M. Durrence" wrote in message
I am scanning some black and white photos with CS2 and when I do a "save as", jpeg or jpg do not show up as one of the formats I can save the picture as. If I scan a color photo I can save as a jpg. I even tried scanning the black and white photo as color and I still can’t save it as jpg. If I save it as a TIFF it is a 50 Mbit file. If I save as PDF it is still 13 MBit. I want to send it as an e-mail attachment and this is much too large.

G.M. Durrence
B
Bigguy
Jul 24, 2006
Instead of ‘Save As’ use ‘Save for Web" and it will give you option to save as a .jpg

Guy

"G.M. Durrence" wrote in message

G.M. Durrence
W
Waldo
Jul 24, 2006

G.M. Durrence wrote:

G.M. Durrence

Choose Edit->Mode->Grayscale and save as JPEG.

Waldo
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jul 24, 2006
"Waldo" wrote in message
G.M. Durrence wrote:

G.M. Durrence

Image>mode>grayscale surely.
Are you scanning at 16 bit?
You cannot save 16 bit images as JPG’s.
MH
W
Waldo
Jul 24, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"Waldo" wrote in message

G.M. Durrence wrote:

G.M. Durrence

MH

You’re correct, sorry, probably still asleep at that time 😉

Waldo
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jul 24, 2006
"Waldo" wrote in message
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"Waldo" wrote in message

G.M. Durrence wrote:

G.M. Durrence

MH

You’re correct, sorry, probably still asleep at that time 😉
Waldo,

I know how you feel 😉

MH

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections