Fredo_User
Oct 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, folks:

[running Photoshop CS3 under Windows XP Pro/SP3 ]

I have a PSD file with about 14 layers. A few are hidden. I want to save as a jpg, so I go to file -> save as and save as a jpg file (the yellow alert icon shows next to "layers" in the save dialog). Yet the resulting jpg looks just fine. I’ve been doing this for years.

Today, support told me in case #180459305 that doing that would corrupt the jpg. They said that I need to first merge layers in the PSD file, then save as a jpg.

They also suggested that I post this question here. So here it is. Do I have to go through the extra step in manually flattening the PSD file (and potential pitfall of mistakenly saving it as a PSD and losing my layers forever)?

Thanks,

Fred

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
i’ve never seen it corrupt one when saving like that, but i usually use file> save for web because i have more control of the jpg output then when i use file> save as.
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 4, 2008
support told me in case #180459305 that doing that would corrupt the jpg

Either you misunderstood them, or they misunderstood you.

To be clear, saving a copy of a layered file as a JPG should NOT result in a corrupt file. I can just imagine the meeting where a feature like that might get rationalized. 😀

J
FU
Fredo_User
Oct 4, 2008
Hi, J:

Oh, no, the tech was *very* emphatic. However, let me ask the question in a slightly different manner:

If I save the layered PSD file as jpg, without first manually merging the layers, will this result in the same quality jpg image as if I had first manually flattened layers in the PSD file?

Thanks,

Fred
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2008
Fred,

It should be the same. I have never heard of this before and I can only assume that the tech is mistaken.

I’d love to hear his explanation for that (note I am not ac0okmputer "techie". I base my assumption on years of working experience as a graphic artist in Photoshop).
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 4, 2008
If I save the layered PSD file as jpg, without first manually merging the layers, will this result in the same quality jpg image as if I had first manually flattened layers in the PSD file?

Yes. End of story. The tech was wrong. It happens.

J
FU
Fredo_User
Oct 4, 2008
Hi, Ed, J:

Thanks for your responses!

His explanation was as follows:

Save the layered PSD as a jpg. When you do so, a yellow exclamation alert appears next to "layers" in the save dialogue box. He said this means that the file will be corrupted if it is saved.

Now I believe it means that layers will be merged during the process of saving as a jpg, and I said so. He said no, let me prove it to you:

Go to Image->mode-> and set 16 bits per channel. Then save as a jpg. You will notice that there is no way to save an image as a jpg. Now how the hell that proves his former point is beyond me.

Now for the biggest laugh of the day: he said (in case#180459305) that if you copy or rename files using the filesystem filemanager (e.g., the desktop or windows explorer), that it would open the file to copy or rename it and then rewrite it, thus cause lossy image degradation.

I told him (politely) that he was wrong – that renaming a file does not open it – it simply updates directory information about the file, and that copying a file (outside of photoshop) does a byte-for-byte clone of the file and does not degrade image quality.

Where do they get these purported "experts"????

Cheers,

Fred
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 4, 2008
Where do they get these purported "experts"????

10 for a buck out of a gumball machine, i sometimes think… 🙂
B
Buko
Oct 4, 2008
Jpegs do not support layers if you save a layered file without flattening you might lose some of the image. to save a jpeg of a PSD use SFW but you might have to reduce the file size.
FU
Fredo_User
Oct 4, 2008
Hi, Buko:

That is correct: jpgs do not support layers. However, what I have continually observed is that no layers or unusual image quality are lost when saving a layered PSD as a jpg.

In other words, photoshop automatically flattens layers during the process of saving as a jpg – and does so correctly.

Please let me know specifically how part of an image would be lost during this process.

Thank you,

Fred
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2008
Photoshop may not include all layers this has been an issue in the past. I for one would not save as a Jpeg without manually flattening the image. You on the other hand may enjoy flirting with fate.
S
Silkrooster
Oct 5, 2008
I have never had an issue saving to jpg using the save as feature. After your are promted for the file name, the jpg options appear and you can then see in the layers that they have been flattened.
The only issue I could see (I never tried this) is when you try to save a file with hidden layers. It may be possible that those layers do not get saved. Again I am guessing, but I will be testing it to verify.
S
Silkrooster
Oct 5, 2008
OK, I was right hidden layers do not get saved when saving as a jpg.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 5, 2008
Why should they?

How could they?
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2008
In the past can’t remember which version saving a layered file only saved the background so it is something that I have avoided doing.
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 6, 2008
So me what is wrong with this practice. I have a multiple layer PSD files saved on my computer. I load that image in Photoshop, flatten the layers, save the JPEG. Now, I have the JPEG image and I still have the PSD file with all the layers. Is that a bad practice?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2008
no. you’re flattening first. you’re controlling the situation. not guessing what photoshop will do. for more control use save for web…
FU
Fredo_User
Oct 6, 2008
Jim:

Dave is correct. That is also what the Adobe tech recommended. However my experience is that I have been successful simply saving the layered PSD as a jpg without flattening the layers first.

Dave:

One problem with Save For Web and Devices is that it forces jpg and gif resolution to 72dpi (ppi). Yet 96dpi is required for full quality display on modern monitors. You can confirm with by checking monitor screen settings (Windoze->start->control panel->display-> settings->advanced. LCD-type monitors will show 96dpi). The Adobe tech said the only way they will enhance that function is if enough people submit enhancement requests. (Search for "enhancement" on the Adobe website).

If we’re going to discuss this PPI issue in depth, let’s start a new thread.

Thanks!

Fred
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 6, 2008
Save For Web and Devices is that it forces jpg and gif resolution to 72dpi (ppi). Yet 96dpi is required for full quality display on modern monitors.

Wha?! Modern monitors?! SFW strips out any resolution data because an image destined for screen display has no concern about ppi. Distinguishing between 96 and 72 ppi is even further nonsense.

If we’re going to discuss this PPI issue in depth, let’s start a new thread.

Indeed. This kind of misinformation does not belong in this thread or any other thread on this Photoshop forum. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2008
One problem with Save For Web and Devices is that it forces jpg and gif resolution to 72dpi (ppi).

no, it strips resolution info. there’s a difference. what you see when you open the file is what the program defaults to when it doesn’t find ppi information… and i think there’s an option to over-ride that in S4W, i could be wrong though…

. Yet 96dpi is required for full quality display on modern monitors.

bzzzt. sorry. that’s wrong.

The Adobe tech said the only way they will enhance that function is if enough people submit enhancement requests.

ah! there’s the problem. don’t listen to front line support! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2008
erm, what jim said. 🙂
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2008
Save For Web and Devices is that it forces jpg and gif resolution to 72dpi (ppi). Yet 96dpi is required for full quality display on modern monitors.

This has got to be the reddest of Herrings. As Jim mentioned SFW strips resolution data as it is unnecessary on the web. When you open a file with no resolution data PS defaults to 72ppi this however does not affect how the file displays on your monitor. just how a page layout application reads the information.
FU
Fredo_User
Oct 6, 2008
Indeed, you (all) are correct and I was wrong. Time to update my knowledgebase 🙂

I created a PSD and then resampled at various dpi settings, while keeping image size the same. I saved as gifs and jpgs. The resulting images all appeared the same on the monitor, and the image file sizes were all the same.

Below are some good references on the graphics dpi issue and its historical roots:

Is 96dpi the ticket now?
<http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/004WUv>
A very good discussion of dpi and how it does not pertain to monitor output.

A few scanning tips
<http://www.scantips.com/no72dpib.html>
A very good explanation of the 72dpi tradition, the differences between monitor and print output.

Where does 96 DPI come from in Windows?
< http://blogs.msdn.com/fontblog/archive/2005/11/08/490490.asp x>

Changing Image DPI
< http://www.imageconverterplus.com/help-center/article/changi ng-image-dpi/> Explains differences between print and monitor.

Fred
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2008
Indeed, you (all) are correct and I was wrong.

That’s why we get the big buck’s. B)
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2008
ooh! i can see my check coming in now!!! … ***woooooosh!*** that was it… XD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections