RM
Posted By
Robert_Meador
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I’m working on a new computer (MacBook Pro, running 10.5.5) and all my filter previews are more saturated than the image is "normally" in Photoshop. This is true for:
– Tiffen DFX
– Photoshop’s built in "Spatter" filter (and other filters as well) – PictureCode NoiseNinja Pro
– Mr. Retro Machine Wash 3

I have another Mac (Dual-core G5 running 10.4.11) which does NOT exhibit this problem.

As far as I can tell everything is the same between the two machines: – Color Settings: North America General Purpose 2 (synced via Bridge) – "Proof Colors" disabled
– Same image on both machines
– Same PHOTOSHOP on both machines (same copy installed on my home machine and laptop) – Both monitors (external on the MacBook Pro) calibrated using Monaco Optix XR.

Any ideas what’s going on?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 3, 2008
I just noticed something else – something really strange. When I drag my test image from my MacBook Pro monitor to my external monitor, nothing changes (both displays are profiled) UNTIL I release the mouse. As soon as I do, the image gets darker and duller looking.

When I drag it back to the MacBook Pro display, same thing happens. It looks the same as it did on the external, until I release the mouse button. When I do it gets brighter and more saturated.

It seems as though Photoshop is using the external monitor’s profile to change how the image is displayed – but it’s NOT changing the way filter previews display when they are on the external display.

Is this normal? Can I fix it, or do I want to?

I suppose I can do all my filtering on the MacBook Pro…

– Bob
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 3, 2008
…..or – in System Prefs drag my menu bar to the external display, making it the master. I tried this and now Photoshop’s filter previews seem to match the regular image onscreen. Of course they don’t match on the MacBook Pro now…

It looks like Photoshop is "intelligent" in how it displays images based on which monitor they’re on, but that intelligence does not carry over to filter previews.

Irritating…
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Not too many folks running Photoshop on laptops… :/
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 4, 2008
That would surprise me, given how powerful they have become. My MBP replaces a dual-core G5 (which has moved to server duty). CS3 launches quite a bit faster on the MBP than on the G5, and in general seems to run faster at almost everything.

The weakest link is the MBP display. It’s calibrated (as far as possible) but the viewing angle isn’t very forgiving. Hence the calibrated external 24" display when I’m working in the office. With that display (plus external mouse & keyboard) there is really no difference vs. working on a desktop machine.

It’s my understanding that the trend has been more towards Mac laptops – and iMacs – in recent years. The thinking being a Mac Pro is great if you need to really crunch a lot of data – video, huge images, math, etc. – but is overkill (and over-cost) for the rest of us. Plus, if I want to work in a cabin somewhere, I’ve got my whole rig with me – no need to copy stuff back and forth any more when going on the road.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Robert,

The lack of responses to your original post led me to make that comment.

Personally, I would never run any Adobe software on a laptop.
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 4, 2008
I wouldn’t do any color-critical work on the MBP screen, but it’s perfectly suitable for comps, and sorting photo shoots. And connected to an external display the experience is indistinguishable from working on a desktop. Except when you want to take off to the islands for a week, and then you can throw the thing in the bag and pay for your vacation with a few hours work every morning.

Never say never – the displays keep getting better, processors faster, disks bigger…
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
And connected to an external display the experience is indistinguishable from working on a desktop.

Sorry, but that is plain BS. For starters, in order to use the laptop’s keyboard, the external monitor has to be way too high, or the laptop/keyboard way too low, since the darned laptop screen gets in the way.

Secondly, your scheme underscores the futility of using a laptop and takes away any portability advantage you may have had.

You’re not telling me anything I have not personally and physically tried. I stand by my fundamental aversion to laptops.

…and still no laptop user has chimed in.
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry, but that is plain BS

Let’s try to be a bit less flamey, shall we?

For starters, in order to use the laptop’s keyboard, the external monitor has to be way too high, or the laptop/keyboard way too low, since the darned laptop screen gets in the way.

True, but when using an external monitor (in the office) I also have my external keyboard and mouse. The laptop is on the left and behind, sitting on a riser so the bottoms of both screens are at the same level. External display is on the right. Both angled slightly inward towards me. The laptop overhangs the front of the riser (and the external keyboard) so the display is not too far away.

Secondly, your scheme underscores the futility of using a laptop and takes away any portability advantage you may have had.

I don’t see that. The screen IS profiled, just not as well as the external screen. It’s plenty adequate for sorting/filtering shoots and preliminary editing, with more serious color correction, output sharpening, et. handled when back at the office.

Third, you won’t be generating much income doing photography or Photoshop work on a lousy laptop screen "in the islands", or at least not for long. You may have earned your vacation, but the laptop sure isn’t going to "pay for it". You may permanently lose some clients instead.

I’ll have to tell my clients that one. I’m sure they’ll find it worth a chuckle. True the last trip was mostly spent coding and working in Flash, and the more critical Photoshop work I did needed a modest tweak once I got back to the good monitor, but it was pretty close and easy to fix. Technically I suppose working on a trip doesn’t mean the trip is paying for itself, but rather than bleeding twice (traveling AND not working for a week) I’m only bleeding once. And I happen to enjoy work, so it’s not a vacation killer.

I stand by my fundamental aversion to laptops.

And I by my attraction to them.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
But you’re the one with problems, not I! 😀
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 4, 2008
No – I WAS the one with problems but per:

in System Prefs drag my menu bar to the external display, making it the master. I tried this and now Photoshop’s filter previews seem to match the regular image onscreen.

everything is ironed out now.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Glad for you.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 4, 2008
You are showing your age Ramón!
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
And you your insufferable traits, Joslin.
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
Whoever convinced you British humor was valid?
DJ
dorothea_jones
Nov 6, 2008
I’m running Photoshop 8 on a new MacBook Pro. I’ve connected an external monitor. It’s a NEC LCD screen. I can drag over Apple applications like iPhoto and iMovie to work n in the big screen but Photoshop won’t drag across, apart from just the tool bar.

Help please?

Dorothea
RM
Robert_Meador
Nov 6, 2008
So you’re saying you can’t drag an open image to the new monitor, or any palettes? Just the tool bar? That is weird – wonder if it’s a CS(1) issue? Assuming PS 8 = CS1, which it should be given that CS3 is PS 10…

You might try making your NEC the primary monitor. In System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement, drag the menu bar to the big monitor. At that point PS should now live on the big monitor, and you can drag the toolbar (and hopefully palettes) to the MBP screen.

That’s what I ended up doing as a result of this thread. Though I don’t seem to have any problems dragging things either way.
B
Buko
Nov 6, 2008
Whoever convinced you British humor was valid?

Monty Python or Benny Hill maybe.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2008
Monty Python or Benny Hill maybe.

Both convinced me of the opposite.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections