LD
Posted By
Lucia_deLeiris
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My camera is not listed among the choices, when I click "Connect to camera." Is there something I should drag into plug-ins folder? any suggestions?
Thanks
my camera: Kodac DC265 zoom
my computer: Mac Powerbook, Mac OS 10.3.1, IGHz, PCG4 256 MB memory

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
May 29, 2004
A lot of us use an expensive card reader to transfer the images from the camera to the hard drive. Then, all that is necessary is to open the images from the Photoshop Elements browser or by using the Open command. It is very simple and reliable.
J
jhjl1
May 29, 2004
Did you mean inexpensive?

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
A lot of us use an expensive card reader
JH
Jim_Hess
May 29, 2004
Duh!!! Inexpensive. I have a disability that causes me to be a very slow typist, so I use one of these "you talk-it types" programs. And sometimes I don’t proofread my messages as carefully as I should. Sorry about that! 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
May 29, 2004
If I remember correctly (most probably not) we had this discussion before and came to the conclusion that for PSE to be able to directly connect to your camera you need to have a twain compatible driver. I don’t know if the DC265 has one or not but check out your installation disk that came with the camera or Kodak’s DC265 support page < http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/dln_ekn.jht ml?ekn=EKN006593> to find out for sure.

The problem I see is that the DC265 is an older camera and if it’s like my DC290 the software on the installation disk is pre OS 10. So, if there is a driver on the disk you’d have to run it through Classic which is always a dicey operation.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong about the whole twain compatiblity thing. I’m getting up there in years and my memory is going, but fast! 😉

Joe
LD
Lucia_deLeiris
Jun 5, 2004
Thanks so much for the replies. Actually, we did not have this discussion yet, as I just aquired "Photoshop Elements" this past week. I did ask about a different hook up, (see below).
I know my Kodak camera had to be pre-Mac OS 10, so I will try downloading the Mac OS10.3 download from the Kodak page and see if that helps connect it to PSE.
—————————————
The other problem is a similar one but involves my folks’ computer, Mac OS 9.0.4, and a new Olympus C-4000 zoom. This camera seems not to be recognized by Adobe Photodelux 2.

It’s all a bit puzzling.
Thank you
Lucia
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 5, 2004
Lucia,
I have an older Kodak camera which I used to connect to the computer for downloading pictures. I no longer do that. I have a new Olympus C-750, and I did not even install the software that came with the camera. I purchased a Scan Disk card reader which accepts many types of cards, connects to USB port, and then I copy pictures from the card to my hard drive. At that point I burn a CD with the unaltered picture files. This is my "film", so to speak. Next I bring the pictures in to Elements as needed, and resave the enhanced files to my hard drive under another name, e.g. beach-enh, etc.
The card reader is a small, light device. Using it precludes dropping the camera, or having the camera batteries fail at the time of down-load.
Ken
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 5, 2004
Lucia,

I find the easiest way to import photographs is via a card reader into iPhoto. After that its easy enough to see which need editing and drop them to the desktop.

Wendy
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 5, 2004
Many ways to skin a cat. The advantages to having a CD with original, unaltered picture files is preservation, but more importantly one can bring them up for "re-editing" at a later time as one becomes more proficient with the use of Photoshop Elements. I continue to benefit from the material published on this forum, for example, and try to apply advanced techniques in an ongoing process.
Ken
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 5, 2004
Lucia,

Actually, we did not have this discussion yet, as I just aquired "Photoshop Elements" this past week.

I didn’t mean you and I specifically, just that this question has come up before.

I know my Kodak camera had to be pre-Mac OS 10, so I will try downloading the Mac OS10.3 download from the Kodak page and see if that helps connect it to PSE.

The problem here is that the Kodak EasyShare download for OS X doesn’t include a TWAIN compatible driver (I’m 99% sure of this) so you still won’t be able to connect directly to PhotoShop Elements.

You’re probably going to end up doing what others have posted and what I myself do and that is downloading your images to your computer’s hard drive first and then bringing them into PhotoShop.

Here is my workflow:

1. I insert the SD/MM or Compact Flash card that contains my images into my SanDisk card reader.

2. The card mounts as a drive on my desktop and OS X’s Image Capture automatically launches.

3. I have Image Capture set to download my images to my Pictures folder, so I just click the Download All button.

4. I then launch iPhoto and import my images from the card here as well. After importing into iPhoto I delete the images from the card.

I have a new Kodak DX6490 and I can’t import directly to PhotoShop Elements either. The reason being that Kodak doesn’t make a TWAIN compatible driver for my camera. I don’t think they’re making them for any camera anymore but I could be wrong.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 5, 2004
In addition to eliminating problems with incompatibility, the card readers are generally considered to be a safer and faster way to download.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections