Question Concerning Raw vs. Bracketing with camera.

G
Posted By
G-Reindeer
Feb 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have heard two schools of thought on creating a high dynamic range photograph. One way is to take a single RAW exposure of your subject, and develope that single frame into multiple exposures with Camera Raw, then import them into photoshop, and combine them there.

I have also heard that you may not get a good amount of data in the image to do this. However in several magazine articles, I am seeing more of this method used.

Of course the other method is to bracket your exposures on a tripod, then combine them in photoshop. This is the way I usually do it, but it takes more time and planning.

I was wondering if Raw had improved enough for the above results to match bracketing, and was looking for some input.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
mirafiori
Feb 14, 2007
I don’t think the single raw is idea as the dynamic range is not extended. It is still lacking of either shadow detail or highlight detail if the dynamic range is wider than the camera handling capability. If it could handle than no need to use Photoshop HDR function. Why you need a tripod to do exposure bracketing when there is an auto bracketing function to use unless your camera don’t have one but has raw shooting function…?

"G-Reindeer" wrote in message
I have heard two schools of thought on creating a high dynamic range photograph. One way is to take a single RAW exposure of your subject, and develope that single frame into multiple exposures with Camera Raw, then import them into photoshop, and combine them there.
I have also heard that you may not get a good amount of data in the image to do this. However in several magazine articles, I am seeing more of this method used.

Of course the other method is to bracket your exposures on a tripod, then combine them in photoshop. This is the way I usually do it, but it takes more time and planning.

I was wondering if Raw had improved enough for the above results to match bracketing, and was looking for some input.
R
Roberto
Feb 14, 2007
Photoshop will not allow you to expose one RAW file as several and then use the HDR function to put them together. Adobe says it is pointless and they don’t allow it.

For a true HDR do bracketed exposures 3 or more I like 5 when I do HDR which isn’t very often as I don’t like the painting look.

ljc

"G-Reindeer" wrote in message

N
nomail
Feb 14, 2007
Little Juice Coupe wrote:

Photoshop will not allow you to expose one RAW file as several and then use the HDR function to put them together. Adobe says it is pointless and they don’t allow it.

The reason why they don’t allow it is not so much becuase it’s pointless (it is indeed pointless, but I think Adobe couldn’t care less if you do pointless things), but because Photoshop uses the EXIF exposure data to calculate the respons curve. Because all the EXIF exposure data are the same, it cannot do that with one RAW that was developed three times.

For a true HDR do bracketed exposures 3 or more I like 5 when I do HDR which isn’t very often as I don’t like the painting look.

A good HDR is simply an image with an extended dynamic range. There is no need to get that painted look. People often get that look because they don’t know how to use the tools properly, or perhaps because they like the effect.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
RB
Rudy Benner
Feb 15, 2007
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message

Photoshop will not allow you to expose one RAW file as several and then use
the HDR function to put them together. Adobe says it is pointless and they
don’t allow it.

The reason why they don’t allow it is not so much becuase it’s pointless (it is indeed pointless, but I think Adobe couldn’t care less if you do pointless things), but because Photoshop uses the EXIF exposure data to calculate the respons curve. Because all the EXIF exposure data are the same, it cannot do that with one RAW that was developed three times.
For a true HDR do bracketed exposures 3 or more I like 5 when I do HDR which
isn’t very often as I don’t like the painting look.

A good HDR is simply an image with an extended dynamic range. There is no need to get that painted look. People often get that look because they don’t know how to use the tools properly, or perhaps because they like the effect.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com

Well dammit, I had to try, I figure make 7 tiff files from a raw image, EV values from -3 through +3, strip the EXIF data, feed them into Photoshop HDR, manually fake in the exposure values, and voila, it would work. NOT.

Nope, did not work. I hate it when this happens. !! At least not with Photoshop. HDRShop had no problem with the stripped files.
R
Roberto
Feb 15, 2007
Johan as far as the painted look goes I have not seen a single HDR image from anyone that doesn’t give that its a painting impression. The reason for that is simple. Any time a human sees an image that is perfectly exposed through the entire image the mind says painting. We are not accustom to seeing real world photographs that have perfect exposure over the entire image. We are used to some areas being much lighter, some being much darker, some things seen clearly, some things not seen so clearly and some things not seen at all. To present anything else makes the mind say painting.

Now, this does not preclude HDR images from being attractive or nice to look at. But, as far as I am concerned they are not longer photos. It is like taking a picture of a race horse and having him run around on the moon in a space suite. It is a fun picture to look at and even make, but it is no longer a photo at least no of one in the real world. It is this real world that HDR doesn’t not reflect and that is also part of the problem.

Like liver HDR images are an acquired taste. I don’t like liver and I don’t care too much for HDR images. Those that do like liver and HDR images I say more power to them and please don’t stop making them on my account. I will even take the time to look at them. But, in the end I will stick to real real world looking photos.

ljc
RB
Rudy Benner
Feb 15, 2007
"Rudy Benner" wrote in message

don’t allow it.

Well dammit, I had to try, I figure make 7 tiff files from a raw image, EV values from -3 through +3, strip the EXIF data, feed them into Photoshop HDR, manually fake in the exposure values, and voila, it would work. NOT.
Nope, did not work. I hate it when this happens. !! At least not with Photoshop. HDRShop had no problem with the stripped files.

Actually, the result was better than I was getting with ACR, but then it could be I was not using ACR optimally.
RB
Rudy Benner
Feb 15, 2007

don’t allow it.

Actually, the result was better than I was getting with ACR, but then it could be I was not using ACR optimally.

I found a way to do it using Photoshop HDR instead of HDRShop.

As before, generate a series of tiff images from a suitable raw file, say EV -3 through EV +3, that is 7 images. Strip the EXIF data (Irfanview) saving to TIFF files, then merge to HDR in Photoshop. Photoshop will ask you to enter the exposure values, use the EV numbers, not the
RB
Rudy Benner
Feb 15, 2007

don’t allow it.

The reason why they don’t allow it is not so much becuase it’s pointless
(it is indeed pointless, but I think Adobe couldn’t care less if you do pointless things), but because Photoshop uses the EXIF exposure data to calculate the respons curve. Because all the EXIF exposure data are the same, it cannot do that with one RAW that was developed three times.

As before, generate a series of tiff images from a suitable raw file, say EV -3 through EV +3, that is 7 images. Strip the EXIF data (Irfanview) saving to TIFF files, then merge to HDR in Photoshop. Photoshop will ask you to enter the exposure values, use the EV numbers, not the
N
nomail
Feb 15, 2007

Johan as far as the painted look goes I have not seen a single HDR image from anyone that doesn’t give that its a painting impression. The reason for that is simple. Any time a human sees an image that is perfectly exposed through the entire image the mind says painting. We are not accustom to seeing real world photographs that have perfect exposure over the entire image. We are used to some areas being much lighter, some being much darker, some things seen clearly, some things not seen so clearly and some things not seen at all. To present anything else makes the mind say painting.
Now, this does not preclude HDR images from being attractive or nice to look at. But, as far as I am concerned they are not longer photos. It is like taking a picture of a race horse and having him run around on the moon in a space suite. It is a fun picture to look at and even make, but it is no longer a photo at least no of one in the real world. It is this real world that HDR doesn’t not reflect and that is also part of the problem.
Like liver HDR images are an acquired taste. I don’t like liver and I don’t care too much for HDR images. Those that do like liver and HDR images I say more power to them and please don’t stop making them on my account. I will even take the time to look at them. But, in the end I will stick to real real world looking photos.

Go to my site and press the ‘Lodges and hotels’ button. Most people agree that the images you see there do look natural and not like paintings. Some (but not all) were made using HDR. Can you tell which ones?

N
nomail
Feb 15, 2007
Rudy Benner wrote:

As before, generate a series of tiff images from a suitable raw file, say EV -3 through EV +3, that is 7 images. Strip the EXIF data (Irfanview) saving to TIFF files, then merge to HDR in Photoshop. Photoshop will ask you to enter the exposure values, use the EV numbers, not the ∞ stops. Results are reasonable.

More experimentation tomorrow.

Here is a sample, http://rudybenner.com/utility/HDR_Mallard
Made 9 tiff files, EV -4 through EV +4. Stripped EXIF, made HDR, convert to 16 bit.
This method will work with as few as 3 files from a raw file.

It will work, but it is pointless to do it. No matter how many ‘exposures’ you fake with this method, the fact remains that they all come from the same 12 bits RAW file. Combined they only contain the same 12 bits of information, because you cannot create information that wasn’t there in the first place. Consequently, your ‘HDR’ file contains only 12 bits of true image information and 20 empty bits, so it’s not a real HDR file at all. It doesn’t contain more (in fact it contains much less) than any normal 16 bits TIFF can hold. So with a little bit of knowledge on how to use a RAW converter and/or Photoshop, you can get the same result from ONE ‘exposure’.

K
KatWoman
Feb 15, 2007

Johan as far as the painted look goes I have not seen a single HDR image from anyone that doesn’t give that its a painting impression. The reason for
that is simple. Any time a human sees an image that is perfectly exposed through the entire image the mind says painting. We are not accustom to seeing real world photographs that have perfect exposure over the entire image. We are used to some areas being much lighter, some being much darker,
some things seen clearly, some things not seen so clearly and some things not seen at all. To present anything else makes the mind say painting.
Now, this does not preclude HDR images from being attractive or nice to look
at. But, as far as I am concerned they are not longer photos. It is like taking a picture of a race horse and having him run around on the moon in a
space suite. It is a fun picture to look at and even make, but it is no longer a photo at least no of one in the real world. It is this real world
that HDR doesn’t not reflect and that is also part of the problem.
Like liver HDR images are an acquired taste. I don’t like liver and I don’t
care too much for HDR images. Those that do like liver and HDR images I say
more power to them and please don’t stop making them on my account. I will
even take the time to look at them. But, in the end I will stick to real real world looking photos.

Go to my site and press the ‘Lodges and hotels’ button. Most people agree that the images you see there do look natural and not like paintings. Some (but not all) were made using HDR. Can you tell which ones?

beautiful pictures
R
Roberto
Feb 15, 2007
It looks like Adobe is looking at other things besides the EXIF data and data provided for images that don’t have EXIF. I wonder if it is actually looking at the pixel information?

ljc

don’t allow it.

R
Roberto
Feb 15, 2007
Better than most, but still a bit painting looking.

ljc

Johan as far as the painted look goes I have not seen a single HDR image from anyone that doesn’t give that its a painting impression. The reason for
that is simple. Any time a human sees an image that is perfectly exposed through the entire image the mind says painting. We are not accustom to seeing real world photographs that have perfect exposure over the entire image. We are used to some areas being much lighter, some being much darker,
some things seen clearly, some things not seen so clearly and some things not seen at all. To present anything else makes the mind say painting.
Now, this does not preclude HDR images from being attractive or nice to look
at. But, as far as I am concerned they are not longer photos. It is like taking a picture of a race horse and having him run around on the moon in a
space suite. It is a fun picture to look at and even make, but it is no longer a photo at least no of one in the real world. It is this real world
that HDR doesn’t not reflect and that is also part of the problem.
Like liver HDR images are an acquired taste. I don’t like liver and I don’t
care too much for HDR images. Those that do like liver and HDR images I say
more power to them and please don’t stop making them on my account. I will
even take the time to look at them. But, in the end I will stick to real real world looking photos.

BP
Barry Pearson
Feb 16, 2007
On Feb 15, 1:27 am, "Little Juice Coupe" wrote:

[snip]

That is a comment about how people get used to what they grew up with. It isn’t specifically about HDR.

It used to happen when colour became much more common, and some people still do monochromes from colour sources in spite of the obvious artificial nature of the processing. It sometimes happens when photographs don’t show grain, and some people add grain back in to their digital photographs. I’m sure there are lots more examples.

Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/
R
Roberto
Feb 16, 2007
You can mince all the words you want. The fact remains very few people change from what they know. That is why people that started with a PC stay with a PC and don’t just spontaneous dump it and move to a Mac. Sure some do but it is a very small amount. The like of or the dislike of HDR is the same way. Hundreds of years of be conditioned to see things that are perfectly exposed throughout as paintings isn’t going to change simply because I few wished it did.

Hell, for all we know it could be a hardwired in the brain thing. I don’t know, but I do know there are more people that don’t like the look of HDR images than those that do.

ljc

"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 1:27 am, "Little Juice Coupe" wrote:

[snip]

That is a comment about how people get used to what they grew up with. It isn’t specifically about HDR.

It used to happen when colour became much more common, and some people still do monochromes from colour sources in spite of the obvious artificial nature of the processing. It sometimes happens when photographs don’t show grain, and some people add grain back in to their digital photographs. I’m sure there are lots more examples.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
Feb 16, 2007
On Feb 16, 10:18 am, "Little Juice Coupe" wrote:
You can mince all the words you want. The fact remains very few people change from what they know. That is why people that started with a PC stay with a PC and don’t just spontaneous dump it and move to a Mac. Sure some do but it is a very small amount. The like of or the dislike of HDR is the same way. Hundreds of years of be conditioned to see things that are perfectly exposed throughout as paintings isn’t going to change simply because I few wished it did.
[snip]

How many people have 100s of years of conditioning?

It may be little more than a generational issue. Just wait for the people who can’t adapt to die, and take their limitations with them.

(I have the advantage of only doing photography for about 45 years, so I haven’t had time to become unable to change. I even managed to adapt to doing colour photography!)

Barry Pearson
N
nomail
Feb 16, 2007

Statistics show you wrong. When color films were introduced, everybody liked the muted, unsaturated colors. The average film recorded something like 80% of the color saturation of the scene. Over the years this has changed, and today the majority of people prefer highly saturated images, even much more saturated than real life colors. True, this took some time, but not that much. Nothing is more permanent than change!

Hell, for all we know it could be a hardwired in the brain thing. I don’t know, but I do know there are more people that don’t like the look of HDR images than those that do.

Perhaps so, but you forget one thing: if HDR is done properly, you will have a hard time telling it was used in the first place. So the images you dislike are only the ones that are obvious (and done wrongly if you ask me). And the images you do like are not considered, because you don’t even know you should include them (unless you are told it’s HDR).

It’s the same debate as the ‘image manipulation’ debate. Many people say they recognise and dislike manipulated images. The reality is that if the manipulation is done well, they never even know, so they don’t include those images in their judgement. If you only include the bad ones because you don’t even recognise the good ones, it’s obvious what the outcome will be.

K
KatWoman
Feb 16, 2007

You can mince all the words you want. The fact remains very few people change from what they know. That is why people that started with a PC stay
with a PC and don’t just spontaneous dump it and move to a Mac. Sure some do
but it is a very small amount. The like of or the dislike of HDR is the same
way. Hundreds of years of be conditioned to see things that are perfectly exposed throughout as paintings isn’t going to change simply because I few
wished it did.

Statistics show you wrong. When color films were introduced, everybody liked the muted, unsaturated colors. The average film recorded something like 80% of the color saturation of the scene. Over the years this has changed, and today the majority of people prefer highly saturated images, even much more saturated than real life colors. True, this took some time, but not that much. Nothing is more permanent than change!

Perhaps so, but you forget one thing: if HDR is done properly, you will have a hard time telling it was used in the first place. So the images you dislike are only the ones that are obvious (and done wrongly if you ask me). And the images you do like are not considered, because you don’t even know you should include them (unless you are told it’s HDR).
It’s the same debate as the ‘image manipulation’ debate. Many people say they recognise and dislike manipulated images. The reality is that if the manipulation is done well, they never even know, so they don’t include those images in their judgement. If you only include the bad ones because you don’t even recognise the good ones, it’s obvious what the outcome will be.

like most art it is a very subjective judgment based upon the artist’s preference (and perhaps the client’s request)
and your ultimate goal

for products shots of shiny things like a car or bottles for example I may choose a very over saturated color and print on shiny paper, sharp vivid focus and precise artwork

and for a romantic shot of people I may want a very muted, soft look, maybe even desaturate or change to B&W or sepia.
add a glow or blur….

For a client who wants to see the nice view out the windows of his hotel, I think Johan made some nice looking images that satisfy the nature of the assignment. Instead of the normal resort look (hideous flash in the room and other shots for outside) It is a creative solution. That said I would love the room photos lighting even without the "added" scenic views. And some of those do look a bit "fakey" but still nice and artsy like a painting.

Some photogs (I call them "one trick ponies") have one distinctive style and get hired to make images in only that look

many of us (in advertising anyway) get diverse assignments that may require knowing a variety of styles
and do not always have the luxury of dictating how the finals will look.

I can say without doubt that none of my clients would wait for us to take that many frames of the same thing (models cost upwards of $2000.00 a day— time is money) and most certainly will not wait for me to make composited images. They want to get the images direct to their laptops and do the artwork themselves (bad or good-depending)

not even sure how HDD would work on human subjects, with no two frames the exact same??

I always loved Ektachrome for the natural look of skin finding Kodachrome too saturated and bright for humans. it was not the majority opinion, I never liked Cibachromes for my work either, but some people’s work looked great on it.

before we went digital we were shooting Fuji film… it had some nice saturation in the bright colors without the magenta/reddish cast in the skintones. And it pushed well, up to 800.

if you have lots of time to spend creating one art image in HDD and the goal is to make a painterly look I say go for it!!
perhaps you can charge enough to justify it when it’s done? I have seen interesting work accomplished with snapshot cameras or polaroids too. No technique more legit than another.
Make the art you like looking at.

As someone who goes by the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rules of life, that kind of manipulation (HDD) is not something I would want to do. But I do love reading about how you all create from so many diverse and in this case complex techniques.

Even though we came up in an age of "get it in the camera"

I do love being able to manipulate the images after they get out of the camera. We were able to do this previously by dyes, scraping the silver off the paper, cutting with a razor to make masks
etc but the tools are so wonderful now and so much easier. I am happy to never have to smell sepia toner again!!!
I also love having a good image to start with over having to fix a crappy one.

Jackson Pollack or DaVinci?
Picasso or Vermeer?
it’s matter of taste and style, both are valid (and valuable) artwork.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections