C
Posted By
Courtney-
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been struggling with this for a while…when I save a picture from the internet- I use the right clicker (on my mouse) and click on ‘Save Picture AS’ and normally I save it in ‘My Pictures’. But then when I go to open my File Browser to make a banner or blend- the picture has a question mark beside it. When I click on it- it says- ‘Could not open "File name" because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker was found."
Yes- I understand what that means- but not really. Certain pictures it does it and certain pictures it doesn’t. WHY IS IT DOING THIS AND HOW DO I FIX IT? Thanks!
* Courtney

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DS
Dick_Smith
May 25, 2004
Courtney,

Can you walk us throught the step-by-step path you take? It seems that that should work as you outline it, but obviously something is not quite right.

A little more info might help.

Dick
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
May 26, 2004
Courtney, that sometimes happens to me when I use AOL as my browser. It usually works OK if I use MS Explorer.
MR
mikael_runsten
May 26, 2004
Try to change the file type.
The file might be a .gif or .bmp or .. and the "webmaster" just renamed it to .jpg

Micke
MR
mikael_runsten
May 26, 2004
Or try a "fix" program:
freebie IrfanView (irfanview.com) or
the "All media fixer" from www.realconvert.com it have support for jpg files (it might work).

Micke
C
Courtney-
May 26, 2004
Hey-
Thanks for all the responses. Okay: the step by step….
1)I go to a website- ANY…and find a picture I like.
2)I right click on the mouse and click "SAVE PICTURE AS"
3)Then, after I click on that, a menu pulls up that says "MY PICTURES" at the top and in the square inside- "sample Pictures" and something else…
4)I make o a new document name or don’t.
I hope that helps! Thank you guys! I iwll try all the suggestions!
W
Widescreen
May 27, 2004
Courtney,

Many pictures from the web, including those posted on personal web sites use the extention .jpeg. (note the e in jpeg)

You won’t be able to open these until you change the extension to .jpg .

As others have commented, you can use the handy program Irfan View to change whole batches of files, but for just a few its probably easier to do it manually.

Roger
C
Courtney-
May 27, 2004
Well- Thanks for all the advice but yesterday I tried to get on MSN instead of AOL and that worked! Thanks for that advice- I can’t remember who it was from. Thanks again!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections