AB
Posted By
alan_b._cohen
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do you reliably retain your plugins when upgrading from CS3 to 4 without having to reinstall them?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Oct 21, 2008
I have a 3rd party plugins folder that I point PS all versions at.
DB
Don_Butt
Oct 21, 2008
I just installed CS4 Design Premium, and tried to import a scan from the new Epson V700. Nothing in Import for the TWAIN plugin for V700. So I went to the plug-in folder of Photoshop CS3 found the TWAIN plugin in Import-Export, copied it (Command C) and dragged to into the Import-Export folder in Photoshop CS4, restarted PS CS4 and bingo. Epson V700/750 is there and it works. It proved easier than searching for the "Goodies" folder.
Hope this is of help.
Don
AB
alan_b._cohen
Oct 21, 2008
Thank you. All is well now!
EE
eve_elberg
Oct 23, 2008
I just upgraded to CS4 and the twain plugin which comes with the "goodies" doesn’t show up in the import/export plugins folder. I don;t know how to get around this since I upgraded from CS1 & the twain plugin I was using was ancient. I’m using VueScan for the moment but would prefer to scan from Photoshop.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

MBPro 2.16, 2 gb ram, OS 10.4.11
EE
eve_elberg
Oct 23, 2008
Correction – it’s in the import/export plugins folder, it doesn’t show up in the import/export command.

Sorry!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 23, 2008
Eve:

The TWAIN plug-in has always been a problem because the Drivers for various Scanners — particularly Epson — conflict with it and can cause Photoshop to crash on launching.

That is no doubt why it is no longer officially part of Photoshop CS4

You will do far better if you use your Scanning software in stand-alone mode and do NOT install the TWAIN plug-in or scan from inside Photoshop.
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2008
Eve I’ve got to ask, why would you want to use a $700-$1000 application as a $150 scanner UI? Photoshop can’t scan. When you scan using Photoshop you are just using the scanner software in Photoshop. Use the scanner by itself. and work while you are scanning.
EE
eve_elberg
Oct 23, 2008
Ann, thanks for the explanation of Twain & Photoshop problems.

Buko, scanning within Photoshop is a matter of convenience, being able to scan and edit without having to move from one application to another. It has nothing to do with price, that is simply irrelevant. Its also about my own expectations. I had upgraded to CS4 directly from the original CS which had given me no problems with Twain. Now that I see the picture I’ll stick with VueScan or the Epson scan utility.

Thank you both.
EE
eve_elberg
Oct 23, 2008
Alan, I obtained the latest Twain from within the Adobe "goodies" folder, hence my assumption that it would work.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections