PM
Posted By
Paul_M_Mitchell
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was told by the printer that photos on my master should be half toned/screen printed at about 50-70 dpi to get the best look on a Black and White brochure printed on a copier. How to I save my photos in the half tone at the dot size I need using PSE?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2004
First I’ll freely admit I know nothing about preparing photos for use in a brochure that will be photocopied, but are you SURE your printer gave you an accurate number? First, resolution of images is measured in ppi – pixels per inch, not dpi – dots per inch. Second, if you’re going to print something, the recommended range is between 150 and 300 pixels per inch.

However… To resize to that resolution, assuming the photo already has the physical dimensions you want, go to the Image>Resize>Image Size screen. You’ll see a box toward the bottom in which a number for Resolution can be set. Change that to whatever you choose. Also, since I’m assuming two things – that the physical size is already correct and that the resolution that’s currently showing is much larger than 50 to 70ppi, make sure there IS a checkmark in the box where it says "Resample". Also check to make sure Bilinear is chosen as the method of resampling.

Please work on a copy! Unless you have a clear understanding about what your printer wants (and a lot of faith in this person!) make sure you have the original available in its unaltered state if you find what this person asked for isn’t really what they want! 🙂

Good luck. If you need any more help, please feel free to repost.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2004
Beth, this is not at all the same thing as photo res. The printer is talking the size of the dot screen. I’m not sure how to do this effectively in PE without any add-ons, and I would have expected the printer to do it as part of his/her job.

EDIT I guess you could use the color halftone filter, but I’m not at all sure that would give you what the printer really wants.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2004
Looked at the filter and I don’t think it will do it. In big Photoshop you set this up in print preview in the "more options" section, but it’s not in PE.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2004
I think I’ll just go back to bed for a while. 🙂 Thanks for picking up on this one Barbara.
PM
Paul_M_Mitchell
May 9, 2004
Thank you for your suggestions. The printer has told me that other programs can do the half tone of photos but possibly not PSE. I found that if I used the halftone feature on PSE, it created a negative which would be used for burning a plate but I don’t want a negative halftone.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections