M
Posted By
Martonsa
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After installing Photoshop Elements and restarting the system, my screen turns to black&white in all applications. Can somebody tell me how I can get back my colors? (de-installation helps, but is not really the way I want to solve this)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Aug 19, 2004
Martonsa,
Since Elements is a color managed app and loads the monitor profile at startup, I’d guess you need to run the Adobe Gamma Utility, in the Windows control panel and create your custom monitor profile. A tutorial on the subject is at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

Come back and let us know how it goes.

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 19, 2004
Martonsa,

Also, are you running your monitor to display 24 or 36 bit color (High Color)? In Windows, check through the Display Properties>Settings Tab. Under Display at that tab, if you have made a monitor icc profile using Adobe Gamma Utility, is it listed there? Or is the profile listed the one which came with your monitor? Or is there nothing listed at all?

Do you have a video card? Look in Device Manager for installed components.

Please give some information about your computer specifications; OS, RAM, video stuff etc.

When you installed PSE, did you have all other programs closed, especially any antivirus software?
M
Martonsa
Aug 20, 2004
Brent,

Sorry, I tried the Adobe gamma, but it didn’t help.The only thing it did was turning black&white a little more into sepia. It now looks even more antique.
D
dogbite
Aug 22, 2004
I am having the same problem, I have researched everywhere on the web and have found no solutions. Microsoft documentation says that it is a conflict between windows video adapter drivers and adobe gamma software, and the only solution they give is to contact Adobe. Adobe does not mention the problem at all on their website. I have attempted to reinstall the monitor driver, I created a profile in Adobe Gamma, and I checked to make sure that my monitor is set on 32 bit color etc. When I start-up the computer, it starts with full color, and then switches to black and white once windows is fully loaded. It appears that this is a common problem; I am surprised that there is not an easy fix available.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 22, 2004
Well, it’s not a "fix", but you can simply not have Adobe Gamma activate at startup, just remove shortcut from startup folder.

Mac
M
Martonsa
Aug 24, 2004
THANK YOU! What an elegantly simple solution. And it works!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections