KT
Posted By
Karen_Trimble
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can Photoshop Elements 2.0 for windows convert color photos to black and white or cepia toned? I have not purchased this software yet, but will if it can do this. Additionally, can photos be reduced in size and cropped? Can backgrounds be removed, leaving a person in the foreground?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jhjl1
Feb 3, 2004
Yes, yes, yes and welcome to the group.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Can Photoshop Elements 2.0 for windows convert color photos to black
and white or cepia toned? I have not purchased this software yet, but will if it can do this. Additionally, can photos be reduced in size and cropped? Can backgrounds be removed, leaving a person in the foreground?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 3, 2004
Elements is capable of doing everything on your list. The removal of a person from the background requires some dexterity, because there’s no automatic process (in Elements or any other software), but the other things are all pretty simple. You’ll also find there’s usually more than one way to accomplish the same thing in Elements, so it’s versatile enough to let you choose a method you’re comfortable using.
R
Ray
Feb 3, 2004
Karen,

Elements can do all this (and the sepia is really easy to do, click and drop an effect on a picture,
and voilà!). I would suggest you download the tryout version, and stick around to ask questions. We’re all here to help!

If you decide to buy it, simply remove the tryout (uninstall) and install the newly bought version.

Ray
KT
Karen_Trimble
Feb 3, 2004
Wow…that was fast. Thank you so much for your information, this is a wonderful forum. One more question…Can you move people or objects closer together or further apart?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Karen,

Yes you can move people or objects closer together or further apart …. no problem with that at all. Elements a great sofware package and I’m sure if you follow Ray’s advice and download the tryout you will really like using it.

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 4, 2004
My advice to you is don’t download the trial version…just buy it.
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 4, 2004
I agree…just buy it……..an exceptional piece of software….so much more powerful tha i could ever have imagined and yet quite easy to get the hang of the basic functions.

the best money you will spend!
JM
Jim_Maroney
Feb 4, 2004
I recommend going one step further and buying the PSE2/Photoshop Album bundle – you should be able to find a great price on this combo. The addition of Album will help you organize your photos – something you’ll really appreciate as your digital pictures begin to pile up.
K
KBob
Feb 4, 2004
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:38:05 -0800, "Ray"
wrote:

Karen,

Elements can do all this (and the sepia is really easy to do, click and drop an effect on a picture,
and voilà!). I would suggest you download the tryout version, and stick around to ask questions. We’re all here to help!

If you decide to buy it, simply remove the tryout (uninstall) and install the newly bought version.
Ray
Yes, sepia is easy to do, but I’ve found it to be difficult to print correctly. Usually you will wind up with blocked-out shadow areas if you’re not careful. I’d like to see a straightforward method that would simply "convert" B&W to sepia without all the hassle involving shadow blocking.
MR
Marina_Ridgley
Feb 17, 2004
Please specify the exact steps necessary to convert a color photo to sepia. I did it by accident several months ago but haven’t been able to duplicate the effect since.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 17, 2004
Marina,

Have the Layers Palette visible on the right side of your workarea. If it is not there, grab hold of the tab for this palette near the top of the screen and drag it down the screen. As you always need to refer to this palette, it is best to permanently have it camped out there.

At the bottom of the Layers Palette, click on the tiny blk and white circle, choose Hue and Saturation from the options. Put a checkmark in the box which says "Colorize". Now just move the top, Hue slider around to please. Actually try experimenting with moving all three of the sliders. When satisfied, click OK. If you decide later to change the color, just double click on the H/S icon, on the H/S layer in the Layers Palette (it resembles a graph, not the white one).
MR
Marina_Ridgley
Feb 18, 2004
Nancy,

Thanks. Marina will be delighted.

The hubby.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Ah…the Hubby..nice to meet you Marina’s hubby 🙂
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
In addition to the method Nancy shared, you can also do it "quick and dirty"…

If you’re working on a background , double-click it, or copy it, so that you are working on a layer. Then, in the Layer Styles palette, select Photographic Effects and choose from among the various tones available, which include Sepia (or, if you prefer, Spedia).

Byron
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Byron,

There is no quick and dirty with Version 1…boo hoo
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Nancy,

Today is just chock-full o’ version-clash, ‘eh? 😉

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Nancy, actually there is…hiding in the ‘complex’ of layer styles…sepia. Also, if you downloaded shipley tools it’s in effects.

Byron, making fun of my dislexia are you ?? That’s OK, I’m laughing too 🙂
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

Perish the thought!!!

You should view my recollection and usage of your customized spelling of Sepia as nothing other than a tribute to your free spirit and generosity.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
….and therefor i will. Thanks hon 😉
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Byron,

Right on. I guess each version has some unique ‘pearls’. <g>

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

How about that…I never saw it before! I did have Shipley for a short time, but as I kept adding functionality, duplication was getting excessive so I did some extreme culling.

Nancy
CH
Candace_Harris
Feb 18, 2004
Byron and Nancy,
I have been looking for this answer for weeks and then I remember the forum. You guys are the best!!! It really worked. Thanks. I do have a few additional questions please. I’m new at this layer thing. So after you have created a backround layer…changed to sepia, do you then merge layers? Also, does anyone have an opinion on what the best dpi to scan these old photo’s at for restoration is and is it best to scan in black and white, grayscale or color if you are going to convert to sepia? Lastly, does anyone know what the photographic paper is that these old photo’s were printed on. It’s obviously not glossy and the matte doesn’t quite look right either????
Thanks Again,
Candace

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections