MM
Posted By
Michael_Mandel
Oct 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Would upgrading the MacBook Pro Aluminum model from 2.53 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz make a significant difference in the performance of Photoshop CS4 or Lightroom 2.0?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GB
g_ballard
Oct 19, 2008
it depends on the size of hard drives, size of the displays, max ram, and mostly with CS4, OpenGL and Shader 4 support

But I don’t think processor speed is much gain…
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 19, 2008
Michael.

As g suggests. You’re talking about just over a 10% CPU speed increase. And system overhead might bite into that number anyway.

Neil
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2008
A 10% CPU speed increase would barely be noticeable in actual performance, if at all.
MM
Michael_Mandel
Oct 19, 2008
Thanks you for the quick replies. You saved me $300.00
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 19, 2008
RAM rather than clock speed remains the most constraining architectural limitation of MBPs. Personally I will not upgrade at least until 8 GB RAM can be accessed. The other big issue is that new MBPs only come with glossy displays, unacceptable to me. Also as a 17" MBP user, I am looking for two internal drives at some future point, probably one of them SSD.

The good thing about clock speed difference is that it is pretty straightforward; ~10% more clock speed means just that, and does affect operation for apps like PS. However 10% improvement of an operation that takes 0.1 second is like Ramón says not noticeable. Even a 20 second operation made 2 seconds faster is non-obvious, and some operations are most affected by other architectural parameters anyway.

Whether or not the extra 10% speed is worth US$300 depends on individual finances and box usage. For someone with good clients running heavy graphics apps 8 hours a day it probably is worth $300, especially since that 10% does extend the life cycle of the box, and does mean that for 2-3 years the user does receive slightly snappier performance.

However IMO someone with good clients running heavy graphics apps 8 hours a day should primarily be doing it on a Mac Pro; not on a laptop or an iMac. 🙂
RT
Robby_Tooker
Oct 19, 2008
Mac and performance shouldn’t even be put in the same sentence, macs are sweet for browsing and media but if your looking for performance pull out your wallet!
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 19, 2008
Troll alert…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections